Members Unite! Central East Coast Ride

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm speaking for myself I hit FL every year in December. Not really anywhere else to ride that time of year

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I'm on a smaller lake in Alabama that would be perfect for a ride since we'd dang near have the place to ourselves if it wasn't a holiday weekend. The problem is accommodations though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ha Ha Ha. I was just trying to keep some respect for 4-stroke engines (be politically correct) because in ten years from now, most of us will be riding one... It was the conclusion of one of my weekly threads.

As for a ride, Great Lakes could be awesome as well (been to Rochester NY a few years back, Lake Ontario is very nice). Many lakes have regulations (like Lake Tahoe) so anywhere a future ride would take place, it would take someone that knows the place to organize it.

As for water temperature, it is true that Great Lakes, Lake Champlain NY are very cold until you hit end May. In the beginning of May, water can cause hypothermia very fast. My lake still has ice until end of April, beginning May. Back in May, I threw the ball on the beach for my dog to catch and I sent it in the water by mistake (like 8 feet from shore). He jumped in, got the ball but when he came back, he was "seized" by the cold. He couldn't walk anymore. I had to rub his legs. I got scared.

So if it is North, it cannot be before third week of May. Take a pencil, pick a good spot and draw a 1,000 miles radius around it and you will see what the potential is for that location. And even 1,000 miles is a lot.

Benji.

NC is about 1,000 miles from my home...

Also, I have this insurance issue: anything below the 40th is an issue for me.

But hey, I am still planning to ride Lake Champlain next summer with a friend.

Benji.

Smith Mountain Lake in VA is beautiful. But mainly homes to rent. Not sure about one bedroom places. I would love a VA, NC or TN ride.

Nothing wrong with a group of guys getting something going in FL, but if Im driving a 1000 miles again, lets make it the Ozarks. Nice and central.

I want to get the rxx back together so some of the guys can get a shoulder pump lol

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Smith Mountain Lake in VA is beautiful. But mainly homes to rent. Not sure about one bedroom places. I would love a VA, NC or TN ride.

Nothing wrong with a group of guys getting something going in FL, but if Im driving a 1000 miles again, lets make it the Ozarks. Nice and central.

All that sounds good to me!! I'll have to get a small group together to throw in on expenses if I drive to the Ozarks.

+1

Ozarks is 2.5 miles from me. We could do a huge long ride if we wanted to. The lake stretches 90 miles, and their are marinas and bars up and down the entire way on the lake you can stop at. So many places to stay as well, and lots of stuff to do. Huge yachts you can catch some serious waves on. It is the place to be in the Midwest in the summer.

If you guys hit the Ozarks, ill have to buy a ski and join. Lol. Im out of the game right now, but could be a good excuse to hop back in :)

Yes, ski insurance: responsibility, theft, etc... Somehow, it is not valid below the 40th parallel. I have never investigated this issue (no need so far). But it is stipulated in the contract.

Benji.

Just a question, why insure an older 2 stroke? I guess my question should be why would it not being covered prevent you from coming to a ride?

95 XP800!!!
Keep the 2 strokes alive!

Last edited by a moderator:
It't not the ski itself. As you said, it is not worth much. It's the responsibility. Let's say I take my ski on a ride and hit another boat and hurt someone, the ski responsibility pays for third-party damages and injuries. No insurance = you can get sued and pay big time. And my insurance is valid only above the 40th parallel. I guess I would have to pay more to extend the coverage. BTW, I already pay $400.00 CDN per year for that, believe it or not. Same story with my ATV and automobiles.

Basically, everyone of you should have responsibility insurance for all your boats and skis.

P.S.: I even think it is a requirement by Law here.

Benji.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a question, why insure an older 2 stroke? I guess my question should be why would it not being covered prevent you from coming to a ride?

95 XP800!!!

To cover your rear just in case. Have you ever seen the add "ONE CALL THATS ALL", if you have that is why.

It't not the ski itself. As you said, it is not worth much. It's the responsibility. Let's say I take my ski on a ride and hit another boat and hurt someone, the ski responsibility pays for third-party damages and injuries. No insurance = you can get sued and pay big time. And my insurance is valid only above the 40th parallel. I guess I would have to pay more to extend the coverage. BTW, I already pay $400.00 CDN per year for that, believe it or not. Same story with my ATV and automobiles.

Basically, everyone of you should have responsibility insurance for all your boats and skis.

P.S.: I even think it is a requirement by Law here.

Benji.

Agreed with Benji on this one. I work for state farm and see it all the time. What happens if your dess key doesn't work or your steering cable snaps or your throttle gets caught and goes full throttle into a dock or you hit someone else or run into a yacht and they say its your fault and you have to pay for the damages? Hmm, either take the chance and hope they don't sue you, and if they do. Hmm, lets see. Adam looks like you have a house, car, skis, 401k, savings. Lets take that away from you to pay for the damages, or what if you kill someone? Or if someone rides your ski, and it messes up. Liability falls back on you. Ski insurance in the U.S. is superrrrr cheap. like a policy I paid for is like $7 per month I think with 300k in liability. Id rather just be safe than sorry. I know someone who died on a ski, luckily they were family friends as one person hit the other one and died. They didn't sue, but sure could've. Sorry to go so in depth, im sure [MENTION=29781]Spimothy Leary[/MENTION] would agree on this subject.

Agreed with Benji on this one. I work for state farm and see it all the time. What happens if your dess key doesn't work or your steering cable snaps or your throttle gets caught and goes full throttle into a dock or you hit someone else or run into a yacht and they say its your fault and you have to pay for the damages? Hmm, either take the chance and hope they don't sue you, and if they do. Hmm, lets see. Adam looks like you have a house, car, skis, 401k, savings. Lets take that away from you to pay for the damages, or what if you kill someone? Or if someone rides your ski, and it messes up. Liability falls back on you. Ski insurance in the U.S. is superrrrr cheap. like a policy I paid for is like $7 per month I think with 300k in liability. Id rather just be safe than sorry. I know someone who died on a ski, luckily they were family friends as one person hit the other one and died. They didn't sue, but sure could've. Sorry to go so in depth, im sure [MENTION=29781]Spimothy Leary[/MENTION] would agree on this subject.

Yea it makes sense. I was not thinking of third party damage but only covering the ski. I agree you are way more protected with insurance and will get with my agent.

95 XP800!!!

Yea it makes sense. I was not thinking of third party damage but only covering the ski. I agree you are way more protected with insurance and will get with my agent.

95 XP800!!!

yeah. just get the liability coverage, I wouldn't get the "full coverage" on these older skis.

Wow I'm surprised they're even insurable (older skis) for full coverage, i.e. Benjis 2 stroke being insured for theft.
But yea it's gotta be insanely cheap for liability insurance. I've thought of it, but only riding once a month in the winter and like 4x a month in the spring and summer never warranted it for me.. But if it's really cheap, I'd buy it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow!!!! I stirred some serious stuff here!

Ok, some comments:
[MENTION=59515]suke[/MENTION]: "What is the 40th parallel?" Check for "longitude" and "latitude" on Wikipedia. Each place on Earth is that much South or North and that much East or West. Longitude and Latitude are the numbers that define your location on this planet. In the USA, everything South of New York City is below the 40th parallel. I am at the 45th (actually almost 45.5th in Lake Simon). Don't know why my insurance is forbidding me to got below the 40th. Probably because of crocodiles and alligators stories being stuck in a swamp with a ski... :)
[MENTION=43106]CReynoldsMIZ[/MENTION]: my father was an insurance broker all his life for the Prudential. Funny enough, when they told him to replace the chimneys and fireplaces at the cottage more than 20 years ago, he dropped the insurance... ("Ill-shod shoemaker" proverb???). And yes, I thought about that: killing a skier by mistake. That would be a massive liability. A human life is worth several hundreds of thousands of dollars, if not millions. When I bought my dad's cottage, I had to strip the place and replace all the heating systems with new ones ($10,000.00 just there, not counting that I had to replace doors to take the old stoves out the door...). Now my place is fully insured. And you also have to think about your trailers. This is a gray area often neglected.

It is kind of ironic: I am a really poor mechanics but I can help/counsel you like crazy because I know a lot about legal matters and computers, and photography, and medical aspects (as I have been seriously sick for six years and all the pills that go with it). Basically, I should be dead... I was on serious drugs for pain for six years. Had to weaned myself in six months after I was fixed!
[MENTION=48897]96spxpos[/MENTION] : my ski is probably worth a good $3,000.00 here. I haven't looked at what part of my insurance is costing me more but in a few years from now, I will definitely keep only liability. I believe that it is "essential". At almost 52 years old, I wouldn't want to lose everything that I have acquired in my life for one single problem/mistake. I am too close to retirement.

Benji.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back