Members Unite!! 2016 Fall Florida Ride

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt Braley

Premium Member
Premium Member
There has been some chatter about getting another ride together. A couple of the Ga riders have suggested FL. I've always wanted to check out Crystal river. Another possibility would be Silver Springs around the Ocala area.

Many of you I've met on these rides but there are still a lot of you that I need to add to that list. Warmer weather in the central Fl area this fall will hopefully temp some of you other guys to make a drive. Everyone has always been "good people" I think that just comes with 2-stroke Seadoo ownership.

I'd like to hear your thoughts on the date and location. Let's get it going.

If it is in the FL state, and I have some notice, I'll be there. I need like 3 months notice to schedule leave from work.

We don't need to rent their Seadoos but the riding sounds nice..... http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...8283MBXdWQGAhg&bvm=bv.129759880,d.eWE&cad=rja

When I look up images I'm not seeing skis on the clear part that they are famous for though.

The Silver river is not looking that good to me either. I don't see any roads or houses. There is a state park and then the Silver Springs theme park but I don't see them being cool with us buzzing around in there. I'll have to keep digging in to these areas and would love to hear more suggestions. It's nice to have a host in the area we are all headed to.

Yeah Coastie I get most of my riding done after the busy summers. We did our first ride in January in central Fl and it was a bit cold honestly. Hopefully we can hit this about the same time as we did the Ga ride last year.

I checked with my buddy that has been to silver springs, he didn't recommend it for a group more than 12-15 (didn't elaborate why). He mentioned Silver Glenn Springs (they have a group doing it this weekend so i'm waiting for a report, it looks pretty cool)

Some other idea's.

Orlando is "ok" but nothing special, we've done the Harris chain as a group already. I've also done Mt Dora before but the ride area was pretty limited. Maybe orlando "area' has a better option to find, bigger lake or chain, or Kissimmee.

St Johns can be pretty dangerous from what i've been told, not sure how group friendly it is.

Suwanee was "ok" when we did it last winter but nothing really special to see there.

River Ranch maybe? Its on the northern end of the good K river twisties, but otherwise out in the boonies, not sure if there are waterfront housing options.

Peace River is not well suited for winter riding, it gets shallow when the rains stop so you can't ride the twisties and its pretty far south which is a deterrent for GA peeps.

Orange Beach (Florida/Bama line) I did a family reunion there, looked great for riding and LOTS of hotel/resort options, we stayed at a place called Phoenix on the bay, right on the water, and had a lazy river and everything, Huge condo suites too, 2 and 3 bedroom units. we had a group of 40 and Zero complaints, but of course we didn't bring 15 trailers not sure how they could accommodate that many to be honest.

http://pictures.escapia.com/PORTAL/2521800516.jpg

Tampa/St.Pete/Sarasota area? Too far south?

I checked with my buddy that has been to silver springs, he didn't recommend it for a group more than 12-15 (didn't elaborate why). He mentioned Silver Glenn Springs (they have a group doing it this weekend so i'm waiting for a report, it looks pretty cool)

Some other idea's.

Orlando is "ok" but nothing special, we've done the Harris chain as a group already. I've also done Mt Dora before but the ride area was pretty limited. Maybe orlando "area' has a better option to find, bigger lake or chain, or Kissimmee.

St Johns can be pretty dangerous from what i've been told, not sure how group friendly it is.

Suwanee was "ok" when we did it last winter but nothing really special to see there.

River Ranch maybe? Its on the northern end of the good K river twisties, but otherwise out in the boonies, not sure if there are waterfront housing options.

Peace River is not well suited for winter riding, it gets shallow when the rains stop so you can't ride the twisties and its pretty far south which is a deterrent for GA peeps.

Orange Beach (Florida/Bama line) I did a family reunion there, looked great for riding and LOTS of hotel/resort options, we stayed at a place called Phoenix on the bay, right on the water, and had a lazy river and everything, Huge condo suites too, 2 and 3 bedroom units. we had a group of 40 and Zero complaints, but of course we didn't bring 15 trailers not sure how they could accommodate that many to be honest.

I'm good with Tampa Sarasota area

Some other idea's.

There was a big ride at Springs this weekend
I wonder if it's the same one.

I was looking to do that one as spring looks nice to snorkel.

I wonder what is / was so bad

I'm good with Tampa Sarasota area

I thought about that area pretty seriously, it certainly has everything, when traveling up I75 I drive over the little manatee and the braden river river (and of course tampa bay) all the time and I'm always wondering if the little manatee and braden are good ride spots for a group. I'll have to ask a couple of "locals" that I know what they can tell me about it.

I will say this, Tampa Bay itself is pretty big water, wide open for sure but it can be pretty dam choppy even on a calm day, so we're probably better off considering things near tampa like bradenton, sarasota, siesta key.

One other area that i've heard about is Withlacoochee River, Dunellon, near Ocala so location isn't bad, but I've asked 4 people and they have never boated on it, saw a couple of youtubes and it looks pretty awesome.. Old florida oak's, lots of twists and turns, just need to figure out if its chock full of no wake zones and FWC on patrol.

A few suggestions.

There is a big chain of lakes in Winterhaven (about 45mins north of Tampa) connected by canals. Lots of skis and boats. Lego Land boarders one of the lakes and you can anchor off and watch their water show that takes place every hour.

Another chain of lakes is in Clearmont. I've never been but I've heard good things.

If you guys prefer Salt water Dunedin is pretty awesome. Plenty of skis and standups. Huge sand bar and island to hang out also. Its a beach launch but it isn't very steep.

We talkin salt or fresh? Im in either way but if its salt ill be that guy that shows up with a honda again. Fresh and Ill roll support boat with the challenger and chan haul coolers and some fuel, and throw some wakes if need be. :cheers:

Looking the Map over and the St. John looks pretty big. There is a smaller end down by Palatka and of course it's one of very few rivers in the wold that flows north. What did you hear is dangerous about it Spim? I have not been over there since I was a kid. I was floating on a paddle board and saw a gar about the size of my board right under me.

Check these trails out. Looks like the further you get from the springs the saltier it will get.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/C...0b9ea35b30946bb!8m2!3d28.902479!4d-82.5926012

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm definitely interested depending on dates. I'd likely fly in though and rent something since I'd probably be looking at 15 hours each way depending on final location.

Theres a guy on GH "jp1300" that has thread "Anytime Silver Glen Ride" in the regional section and has some nice pictures.

Its shows skis, boats and Air Boats all hanging together
One page has a dead alligator with birds feasting on it.
Yikes!

Maybe you can reach out or post on his thread and get some info from someone local about our GTG and see if area meets needs?

I know [MENTION=43374]Coastiejoe[/MENTION] said he was down since he goes up North frequently. I'll be if I can get around work.

Any salt vs fresh water preference.

Yep... I am in as long as we get notice... I need three months to get time off work. Great job, but hard to plan things on short notice..

There are gators everywhere down here. To get away from from them you have to ride on top of sharks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back