Trading Opportunity , NEED ADVICE XP or GTX?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

DSchmidt54

Ok guys , i have my 96 gtx........and i put it up on craigslist for spits and giggles...........and a guy wants to trade a 96 xp ..............now heres what he sent me, i mean, i really want an xp i wanna join the x4 cult, but ive already got everything done on my GTX , so what do you guys think? if the driveline checks out, the wear ring is good, and the compression is 150 and she rides good what do ya thinks? I figure if i could get him to give me 300 for new turf and graphics i would be golden but what do you think?

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

240305_4519175504033_4783500_o.jpg

i would also like to add that mines under warranty till next fall from SBT, his isnt.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks good, however if you can afford to keep two skis over the winter, go ahead and buy the XP now, while prices are low. Sell your GTX in the spring or maybe keep both. Currently I have three ski's and looking for a winter project. Sheridan says "buy it", she wants to go for a ride.

Lou

i'd say no, for two reasons,
1) your's looks mint, and the engine is under warranty.
2) i'm suspicious, why would he want to swap unless his has a hidden problem...

just my thoughts...
however, the engine upgrade would be nice...but the downside overcomes the upside unless your really disappointed in the performance of your ski.

Thanks, unfortunately my parents will Kill me I I get another ski....... But what do you think as far as trading goes? Should I expect a little cash too since his mats look like crap and his has no warranty?

Personally I love my skis reliability...... But I really want a jumper....... Is there any way to test for bottom end quality? I know I can comp test the top end...... But I'm afraid what lies below.

i wouldn't trade either, too much risk, best way to convince your parents to let you pick up another one if you find it cheap, that way they can ride too!

yeah, but im about 3k into mine.......so i dont think im gonna be buying another for a while...............unless Doc still wants to trade :)) (cough cough) lol

I wouldn't trade either.
The GTX looks awesome and a 3 seater, the XP is basically for a single rider , it gets tippy with your best girl on it with you.

Funny, but I have the same ski and a Glastron 1900.

no there's no way to test the bottom end, except tear down...
but if you still want a performance upgrade...i'd still skip the trade but...
i'd suggest holding onto your ski for a cash offer, use the cash to buy a cheap project ski over the winter, and build your jumper while its snowing....for much less money.
if you have 3K into your ski, then your trading down there....

Seadoo buddy , what kinda glastron you got? ours is a ssv195 with a wake tower and a 4.3 volvo penta I/O and a 4 blade stainless 19-21 pitch prop...........we love that boat.......probably put about 200 hours on it this summer.

Im probubly going to be the only one that says ..DO IT...I love the xp i have and you are correct if you want a (jumper) that is the ski to get..in my opinion the GTX is boring.....i want a ski to bomb around on not cruise like an old man....sorry seadoobuddy.......This forum has all the knowlesge you need to make a good decision as for what to look for but to me the risk is worth it.....has the engine ever been touched????Have him send you some pics of the engine bay...

Im probubly going to be the only one that says ..DO IT...I love the xp i have and you are correct if you want a (jumper) that is the ski to get..in my opinion the GTX is boring.....i want a ski to bomb around on not cruise like an old man....sorry seadoobuddy.......This forum has all the knowlesge you need to make a good decision as for what to look for but to me the risk is worth it.....has the engine ever been touched????Have him send you some pics of the engine bay...

here is the pic he sent me of the engine bay , hes gonna do a comp test tonight , i told him i wanted 500 plus trade since he said the fuel gauge and info doesnt work , and it has an aftermarket intake on it, the head bolts are grey so im assuming there has been a top end rebuild at some poiint last season, he said he has only owned it for a season and wants something bigger.
he said the VTS goes down but not up, fuel lines have been done, carbs have been done( by previous owner, do you think he had enough of a mind to change the jets to fit the airbox?) he runs interceptor on it .

He said 250 plus trade or have a nice day , so im thinking if i can get 300 and trade, am i in business?

The pump has also had oil changed at the beginning of the season. so idk ............ i usually go out on my own so this would be fun............but i really dont wanna spend any more money on DOos other than gas/oil lol.

5.jpeg

I know, im stuck between expensive bouncy fun and a reliable place lol.

are they stock carbs??? If not run away...find out what other mods have been done...usually backyard modders wont stop at just an aftermarket air box and wind up cooking the ngine because they have no idea what they are doing.... trailer with it???? If it were me and it ran and had good compression and i got 300 with it i would do it..BUT thats me and i basically did the same thing you are doing...i put a used engine in a 95 xp 720 and traded it for my 96 xp and he gave me 300 and the 96 xp had a new SBT in it also so i made out good but had to put ALOT of time and money into getting it the way i want it

he has no clue if they are stock or not.............dont they paint the larger ones or something ? i cant tell from the pics ..........also , should the raves be turned in that much? look at the pic.

thanks.

he has no clue if they are stock or not.............dont they paint the larger ones or something ? i cant tell from the pics ..........also , should the raves be turned in that much? look at the pic.

thanks.

aftermarket one definetly look different but i cant tell from the pic...and the raves can be set anywhere...its all about preferance mine are all the way in then one turn out so its ok

You have 3g's into your yacht and you want to trade for an XP, that in pristine condition would be worth 2500. Not to burst you bubble, that one is not pristine. I'd find a roached unit for cheap and start there. If I were you if walk away and find a larger wake to jump for now, the right deal will find you!

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

racer sums it up nicely....
IMO the ski's if both are pristine, are worth "about" the same, with the gsx getting a slight edge in price +300 because it suits a larger audience, and another 300 because it has a new engine. so i think the spread between those two is about 600, then add $100 to that right off the bat for new mats.

i'm sticking with my original advice, try to sell your ski for best value, as close to the end of the season as you can, and buy a replacement ski over the winter and sexy it up with your free time.

the only thing i'll disagree on is price, but i'm florida biased, i don't thing either one is worth close to $2500. my buddy just sold his 96 xp for $1600 and it was the prettiest dam ski you'd ever see with 30 hours on a complete rebuild, factory pipe, xo prop, proks, custom paint and much more. now granted if he had time to sell it properly (was in a hurry) he could have gotten 2K , but not a penny more, they're just not worth that much.
in general, in my area, a 96 xp running spot on is 12-1500 all day long, and a 96 gsx is 15-1700. based on what little I know about your's and the xp,,, i'd value the xp at 1200 max, (needs work and unknown bottom end condition) and the gsx at 1900 due to new engine. you can add value to either due to location but IMO the spread is the same,,,

for me to pull that trade, i'd accept nothing less than $500, and i'd probably hold out for 7.

sell your ski for 2100ish, and buy a decent xp for 900-1200 and fix her up over the winter. that gives you 7-900 of wiggle room. if you find a junk xp (needs engine) then pay about $450-600 and then you have even more wiggle room. i don't care if a hull is dirty, they generally clean up real nice,,, but I don't like unknown cranks.

Yeah , thats what im thinking , im scared of not having a warranty...................i think ill just hold out, keep my ski for sale..........get my 2000 and then buy an xp with a trashed block for 400 .............drop in a sbt premium and some love............and put 500 back in the bank lol.

thanks for your support guys!

ok........i guess ill resist the urge......thanks guys.

Don't let me talk you out of it, but your doing the equivalent of driving down the road with your windows down with a pile of loose hundreds on the seat and watching them float out the windows. Having bought and sold a lot of vehicles I have learned to resist the urge and convince myself that there is a better deal coming. And it usually works out that way.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

look at this guy....who has a GSX spim...we are talking about GTX 's and XP's ...LOL DSCHMIDT54 i told you i would be the only one to tell you to go for it.....Oh well i enjoy getting new things and i absolutly LOVE working on them so thats my story and im sticking to it

haha yeah brock i kinda figured.............i was half talked outta it when i decieded to make the post.............now if anyone wants a gtx for oh idk 2000 ............hmu lol.........but i need to start making smart decisions...........especially since i already have alot in this ski.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back