96 GTX sitting for 6 years, first start up advice?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

z10

I've owned a 96 GTX since new and it currently has about 140 hours. Used it routinely for many years when my kids were younger. Now I have 5 young grandsons that I'd like to use it with. The ski has been parked under a cover and under a carport for about 6 years. I've always turned the fuel valve off and run the engine out of fuel before storing and in the past always started for me the following season. That being said, it's never sat this long.

What things should I do prior to start up?

Thanks

Fresh fuel, service the fuel system including the carbs, clean the RAVE Valves, new jet pump oil and inspect the wear ring, new battery and enjoy.

Reactions: z10
Here what I did for mine that was sitting for 9 years. I changed out all the fluids in the ski. I changed out all the hoses as well. I also rebuilt both carbs with OEM kits. I would check the relief valve on the gas tank, check the gas selector valve ( they go bad often), and replace fuel filter. Lube any grease fittings. Put some fogging oil in the cylinders, let it sit for a few minutes or so, then hand rotate the motor over to get all that relubed. Replace spark plugs. Do an inspection on all the wires for damage/corrosion, especially your ground wires. Have a good battery, if not sure load test the one you have. Clean both tanks out, only use API oil, not sure if yours take synthetic or semisynthetic.. get the right one.

You can DL the parts manual and the maintenance manual free online, get those.

Good luck, let us know if you need any help.

Back