96 GTX - Buy or not to buy?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
That's whut I'd doo. :) Once you split the case you're building the compete engine even if you don't replace anything big.

Yeah makes sense, but I'm not gunna lie, I wouldn't mind doing a full rebuild on the engine. It'll be my first complete rebuild down to the crank, so just for the sake of knowledge, I would like to.

But I don't want to drop $400 on a new crank without knowing it's actually needed. I also don't want to reuse this crank if it'll fail. I'm sure he has a good way to verify the crank status.
It’s not that the crank is bad it’s the rotary valve seals inside the webs that you can’t replace without rebuilding the crank. As others have said you can use a shut off valve and probably get away with it but those seals are the reason your cylinder is full of oil.

I had mentioned taking a chance on the crank because it had been sitting for 8 or 9 years, that leak could be so slow that it might be a non issue once the machine is in regular use.

Back