96 XP engine in a 98 GTX DI

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dalbery

Will a 1996 XP engine (787) bolt up to a 1998 GTX DI? I was sold a 1996 XP and the seller never got me a title so I can't ride it. It's engine has 160 psi on both cylinders. I just bought a really nice 98 GTX FI with a seized engine. If it's not a royal pita I'd like to take the carbureted 96 out and put it in the 98. Will the fuel injected intake bolt up to the carbureted engine? What about the stator wiring and stuff like that? Any info or advice would be appreciated.

DI No, different engine mounts and exhaust outlet and fuel system and electronics and impeller and driveshaft and.......

Now a RFI, it should bolt up since it's based on a 787 and they didn't make a DI ski in 1998. None of the 98' fuel system or electronics will work on the carbed engine. None of the 96' electronics or fuel system will work with the 98'.

I feel your pain I’ve got an absolutely perfect running 96 gts that came on a double trailer I bought and has no paperwork
We’ve been looking for a hull for it and it amazes me at the amount of skis out there for sale with zero paperwork.

Depends on the state. Some states don’t bother with titles, some you only need bill of sale. So once it drops out of the system you don’t need anything but a statement of facts and others you a screwed. I just did one in super difficult California but since it was out of the system it was two forms and $45.

I was just telling my wife that states need to pass a law concerning older watercraft and make them easier to register. I have a flat boat that is a 1985 and can't register it because we don't have the paperwork. LOL Freakin $300 boat.

Around here lots of skis don't have registration. I used to worry about trailer license plates but don't any longer. Most trailers the lights don't even work much less have a license plate. LOL

Will a 1996 XP engine (787) bolt up to a 1998 GTX DI? I was sold a 1996 XP and the seller never got me a title so I can't ride it. It's engine has 160 psi on both cylinders. I just bought a really nice 98 GTX FI with a seized engine. If it's not a royal pita I'd like to take the carbureted 96 out and put it in the 98. Will the fuel injected intake bolt up to the carbureted engine? What about the stator wiring and stuff like that? Any info or advice would be appreciated.
Giving this some thought. All you have to do is use the electronics off the carb engine. Everything should fit but I'm not sure about the throttle cables will work but it could be done. You will need the wiring and a fuel tank. I think I have all of that. I'm getting ready to scrap a 1996 GTX. I'll send you a PM.

UPDATE*** I pulled the spark plugs and soaked the cylinders penetrating oil for a while. Then I jumped the ski with my truck. The engine actually turned over. Next I compression tested it. 150psi in ea cylinder. So I put new plugs in it and tried starting it. It fired right up and ran great!! Lucky me!

the 787 is a tank of an engine.

I agree - once anything reaches a 'real world' value of under $1k or some agreeable number... does it really need a title? My last TV cost more than a used jet ski. The TV has no title. My mower has no title.

There should be some logical path to legal ownership of things that are of 'insignificant' value. That pass a VIN check and have a seller and buyer on legal record as owning.

I do know the state of Maine offers great title services for trailers... ;)

UPDATE*** I pulled the spark plugs and soaked the cylinders penetrating oil for a while. Then I jumped the ski with my truck. The engine actually turned over. Next I compression tested it. 150psi in ea cylinder. So I put new plugs in it and tried starting it. It fired right up and ran great!! Lucky me!
Just in case you don't know, you aren't supposed to jump start a jet ski - you'll end up frying the electronics. Hopefully doing it once didn't mess anything up already.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back