Considering Starting a Rebuild Service

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Good morning fellow members.
I have been considering reviews of the companies that offer rebuild services for the various Seadoo engine models.
I am currently in the middle of a 96 GTX, and a 2002 GTX DI which both require serious attention.
I started with the 96 paying attention to the electrical issues it was having and fully addressed each one. I was told by the previous owner that the ski ran fine on its last outing, but that he felt the starter was getting tired. Also had the typical info screen burn out, but that was expected. I felt that there was more oil in the engine area than there should have been, but either due to poor upkeep, or oil tank seal seepage, I considered the seller to be honest with me regarding his experience with the ski. I am primarily interested in a reliable ski that runs well. I am also aware that upkeep and proper seasonal maintenance are key to keeping a well performing, reliable ski in top performance.
With all the information and advice in the forums, I thought I was somewhat prepared for the purchase I made, and confident that the services for any major downstream repairs would be available if needed. The jury is still out on both of those last statements.
Considering that a premium rebuilt engine comes with, at best, a 2 year warranty, and at worst, only a few hours of use before major problems occur primarily related to the rebuild.
Time is the major lost element. The season in the Northeast is not as long as we would like it to be. Issues with your ski, major and minor, can sideline you before you know it. Next thing you know, it's November and you are making plans to be better organized next season. It is the reliable aspect that I am focusing on at this point. Personally my time is valuable to me, even more so when weekend plans are made and vacations are involved. After the time spent reassembling your ski, getting it sealed up, started, and a brief water test, to then find issues with the rebuild could create enough frustration about pulling it apart to start over, to simply set it aside. You then play the waiting game getting everything in order for the next reassembly. Time lost. Maybe season lost.
I am a firm believer of doing things right the first time. I am doing a rebuild myself of the 787 from the 96 GTX. I am only using OEM engine parts and related gaskets in order to bring my rebuild to an "as new" condition. I have already cleaned and inspected the Crankcase halfs, cylinders and heads to a precision machine shop standard more ridged than originally used. The cylinders need a .010 bore and hone, although I am waiting on new pistons and rings to size exactly to spec for ring gap and piston clearance. They are unfortunately on back order with a delivery date still in the air.
I will keep the group posted as things firm up some.

Back