New Site Feature Suggestions

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

hfgreg

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Hey guys. We are in the early stages of developing a new theme for this website.. (May be about a year away due to the website software) I just wanted to start this thread to get an idea of what type of new features you guys would like on the site. It can be something you've seen on another website before or just something that you think would help users to navigate seadooforum better. :thumbsup:

On the top of thread, along with the title of the thread, put the name of who started the thread and which forum it was posted to.

1. a chat room feature
2. list of members in certain area/state etc.

We will look into both of these.. Thanks.

On the top of thread, along with the title of the thread, put the name of who started the thread and which forum it was posted to.

Good suggestion on the member name the forum that the thread is in is displayed but it is at the very top below the SeadooForum logo.

how about a "seadoo forum store", with like coffee mugs with logos (cause im down to like my last big coffee mug) i drop em in driveway or at work, lol, i know you have tee shirts and bumper stickers, we could have beer mugs , ball caps, floatable key chains, koolies, etc. etc.

Good idea Griz, but maybe you should get a stainless steel or plastic mugs instead, they don't break as easily.

Greg, How about a sponsorship from Advance auto, NAPA, Sears, Lowes, Home Depot or as Lou suggested Harbor "Fright". :)

I would like to see: when a new member joins the forum. Required information, ie, location or region not general location like United States, World etc. Require to list watercraft's or a least an interest in SeaDoo's or watercraft. I'm thinking this would cut down on spammers or people who only join the forum to sell their products.

Lou

Great ideas guys.. I like it. Keep them coming.

I am not all that techy with a computer, but an easier way to post pics and video would be nice. I have tried the photo bucket thing but cant seem to make it work which I would blame my own ignorance for. Not sure if it is possible but it would be nice to just drag a picture from my computer onto a post and be done. Again if this is already possible disregard.

Ill tell you...PWCtoday had a like button for a year and everyone made fun of it. We soon realized it was a great way to say you liked the post, joke, etc. A bit different then the "helpful" button. As soon as everyone starting using it, it was gone.

Ill add to the location thing..maybe you make a spot for newcomers to put in their zip code. It would not be posted, but it would send a message to anyone who wants to be notified that they are say within 100, 200, 300mi from you. I always like to let people near me know about riding opportunities and say hi.

And we gotta thank Greg for the PM message update. HOLY CRAP what an AWESOME upgrade!!! For a guy like me doing so many PMs its sooooo great. THANKS!!!

I'm not sure what is the back-end database but if you are using DB2 then I'm willing to do free help Because I can't stay away from this site :rofl:

Greg,

I had previously been bookmarking threads that I want to save for future reference in the browser. This has it's own set of limitations e.g. logging on from a different computer and not having access to your favorites list. I have just switched to subscribing to threads to save them for future reference and categorizing the threads in subscription subfolders. A couple minor issues:

- unless I am missing something - when wanting to subscribe to a thread but create a new subfolder for the subscription, that is currently a cumbersome process. Bring up thread, Subscribe to Thread, Edit Folders (which takes you away from the thread), add the new subfolder, then you have to go back and find the thread again to subscribe to it and select the newly created subfolder. It would be nice to be able to just add the new folder in the subfolder drop down list or at least bring up the windows to manage the subscription folders as pop-ups so that the thread window remains active in the background and regains focus upon closing the subscription pop-up windows.

- I have seen two places which provide the option to view all subscribed threads. There is a bug in this feature in that it only displays the contents of the top level "Subscriptions" folder, not the subfolders.

Seperate Issue, only the top edge of the "Threads", "Messages" and "Tools" rollover buttons are sensitive and gives the impression the buttons don't work. (at least with my browser). Either making the entire button sensitive or adding a radio button that makes it obvious where the cursor has to be would be helpful.

Jake n ole Duke.

Ill tell you...PWCtoday had a like button for a year and everyone made fun of it. We soon realized it was a great way to say you liked the post, joke, etc. A bit different then the "helpful" button. As soon as everyone starting using it, it was gone.

I agree, this is something we will definitely try to get added. A like button is a great way to show appreciation. Will probably do away with the helpful modification at that point.

Seperate Issue, only the top edge of the "Threads", "Messages" and "Tools" rollover buttons are sensitive and gives the impression the buttons don't work. (at least with my browser). Either making the entire button sensitive or adding a radio button that makes it obvious where the cursor has to be would be helpful.

Jake n ole Duke.

Jake, that is in fact a browser issue. That's an AJAX slider up top and for some reason it has issues with some browsers and doesn't on others. It the new version this WILL be fixed. As for the subscribed threads links; we are definitely going to be working on revamping those. We want to make it easier than ever to access your favorite threads.

I am not all that techy with a computer, but an easier way to post pics and video would be nice. I have tried the photo bucket thing but cant seem to make it work which I would blame my own ignorance for. Not sure if it is possible but it would be nice to just drag a picture from my computer onto a post and be done. Again if this is already possible disregard.

This is actualyl already possible jsut make the window size of your browser smaller and then locat the image file you want to paste. Click it and drag it into the replay section. Seadooforum software will render it then you can just hit post or reply!

I would like to see: when a new member joins the forum. Required information, ie, location or region not general location like United States, World etc. Require to list watercraft's or a least an interest in SeaDoo's or watercraft. I'm thinking this would cut down on spammers or people who only join the forum to sell their products.

Lou

Good idea. We can force the location and craft.

Jake, that is in fact a browser issue. That's an AJAX slider up top and for some reason it has issues with some browsers and doesn't on others. It the new version this WILL be fixed. As for the subscribed threads links; we are definitely going to be working on revamping those. We want to make it easier than ever to access your favorite threads.

Great, thanks!

This is actualyl already possible jsut make the window size of your browser smaller and then locat the image file you want to paste. Click it and drag it into the replay section. Seadooforum software will render it then you can just hit post or reply!

No luck, when I drag the picture over to the "reply window" and paste it in, the picture actually opens up in a new window. Then I hit the "back" arrow/button and my reply window is gone and I am back on the full thread again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm I will look into that then. I seem to be having issues sending the image.

I've added this thumbs up thumb down modification that works similar to your likes idea. Testing it out for a while to see how it goes. Thanks for the idea!

as silly as it seems, I liked the like button as well.
an increase in PM's from 30 to 100 would be nice.
otherwise all in all, I like the current format, no issues here :)

as silly as it seems, I liked the like button as well.
an increase in PM's from 30 to 100 would be nice.
otherwise all in all, I like the current format, no issues here :)

I have added the thumbs up thumbs down on threads which works like the like button.. Just a test run right now to see if people use it.

Back