Need some suggestions on a 2008 RXT X255 that won't start

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

bcage

First, thanks for even reading this thread. It is going to be along one, but I don't know how to ask a question for help without giving up all that I know at this point. I am hopefull that people smarter than me will read through this and point me in the right direction (or even a couple of wrong directions, I am at a standstill). I am a shade tree mechanic so my greatest attribute is probably persistence and the ability to apply a little bit of logic. Beyond that, I know enough to get myself into trouble and I have a clear willingness to do so! With that background, I want to run my current situation by you to see if anyone can point me in a productive direction.

The Seadoo in question is a 2008 RXT x255. It has around 160 hours on it. Toward the end of last season, it stopped starting. When I put the key on the post, the gauges would light up and go through the process that appears to be a self check sequence (each indicator goes on and off etc) and then nothing. No beeps. After about 3 seconds, the gauges would go dim (appeared to be off) and the start button wouldn't do anything. Since it was the end of the season, I trailered the boat and planned to look at it over the winter.

As happens, I got busy and didn't look at it again until spring. At that time, I popped the key on the post and all appeared fine. The starter activated, the boat started and I put it in the water, feeling like I must have dodged a bullet. I didn't. I rode the boat from the ramp to my house and put it on the dock. The next time I went out to take it out, nothing. The symptoms were back. I decided to take it to the Seadoo dealer on my lake and have them take a look.

After some time, the shop came back and said I needed a new wiring harness. This didn't sound right to me so I queried them about their justification and they said they found corrosion and were confident that was the problem and "guaranteed" that would get it running. They said there might be other problems, but that this would get it started. I am not a certified mechanic, but the fact that the gauges would come on and then go dim about 3 seconds later didn't sound like corrosion on the wiring harness to me, but they convinced me to go ahead. $1,300 later, I had a new wiring harness and the exact same problem. Their next suggestion was the ECU. They quoted the part at $1,200 (plus labor) and said that it would be a couple of months before they could get the part. It was clear they didn't have any clue and were simply parting the machine until they got something to work or I ran out of money. This shop is AWFUL! I can share more about them if anyone is interested.

The suggestion of the computer actually made more sense to me than the wiring harness so I went out looking to see how best to figure out if that was the problem. I came across Nick at Westside Powersports in Minnesota. I reached out. They asked me to ship them the ECU, the control panel (gauges), and the keys. They said they would test the existing parts and would be able to replace any if they were bad. I did and they did exactly what they said they would do. I spoke to Nick and he confirmed that the ECU and the control panel were functioning just fine on their test bench. I was not looking forward to dropping a grand on a new ECU, but, to be honest, I would have preferred that to being back at square one. Nick was first rate; helpful, actually apologetic that he couldn't solve the problem by selling me a new part. If his shop was closer (it is in Minnesota, I am in Alabama) I would drop the boat off and not worry, but that is not an option for me.

Nick did suggest that I validate the grounding and he also mentioned that when he ran the BUDS software it showed that the boat had thrown a code for LOW VOLTAGE a couple of times. No other codes were stored.

I reinstalled the parts and paid close attention to what was going on. Here are the specifics that I made note of:

Each time I install the key on the post
  • The gauges light up normally and go through (apparent) self-check sequence.
  • Roughly 3 seconds after the key is engaged, the gauges dim. It is so dim that it appears to be off unless you look closely. The dimming is abrupt and not a situation where it fades to a dim state.
  • After this at roughly 16 second intervals, the self check sequence appears to repeat itself. Notably you can see the RPM indicator sweep across and return to zero. The gauges remain dim throughout. I don't know for sure, but this seems to mirror the period when the boat would normally do additional beeps when the key is left on the post.
  • A couple of seconds after the self-check, the engine makes a couple of typical startup sequence sounds (clicks etc)
  • This sequence appears that it would go on indefinitely.

When I take the key off the post
  • On close inspection, you can see the gauges actually turn off at this point. Sometimes this takes a few seconds to happen.

What have I done at this point.
  • Charged the battery and tested it to make sure it was in good condition.
  • Got a new wiring harness with all the associated fuses etc (best $1,300 I ever spent... OK, maybe not)
  • Had the ECU, the control unit and keys tested and verified that they are in working condition
  • Created a new ground wire to test the ground condition between the battery and the engine
  • Swapped out the rectifier (I had the part so figured might as well)
  • Tested with different keys. I have two identical Seadoos and they are keyed to use either key.
I have searched for posts of similar problems and came across one that seems the same. Unfortunately, the post was from about a decade ago and the poster was not active anymore.

I hate to throw myself on the mercy of the goodwill in this forum, but I am hoping that someone can provide some insight into what the problem might be or at least have suggestions on how to go about troubleshooting this. Thanks for any and all feedback.

Sounds like it could be your DESS post or the relay in your fuse panel. Both simple to change to test.

What does it do when you jump your solenoid? It should crank over at normal speed.

Do you ever get 2 beeps? Is your beeper working?

POPPS: Thanks for the feedback. I will check grounds. I have validated the main ground wire from the battery to the engine; any others that I should know to track?

ski-d00: I will check the relay in the fuse panel, but I think it was replaced with the harness. How would I test the DESS post? I do have a copy of the shop manual so I will see if I can find instructions there, but if you have a method in mind, I would appreciate your insight.

I have not tried to jump the solenoid. I will test that and see what happens.

Lastly, I do not get any beeps at all. The last it was running, the beeper worked, but at this point I don't know if the physical beeper is functional.

Thanks for your suggestions. I am not at the lake currently so It may be a week or so before I can give feedback on these suggestions, but your help is much appreciated.

How did you test the battery, sure sounds like it’s failing under load. They need to be bench tested under load.

I looked thru my ski self check & there did not seem to be a no beep option ?
I would pursue low voltage;
1) How old is battery ? If other ski has good battery might try swap.
2) Monitor voltage with voltmeter, preferably analog, while going
thru beep sequence, solid ? Be nice to check at ECM and / or MPEM
if not too invasive and your ski has those.
3) On my ski, the gauges & beeper & DESS all seem to go thru MPEM,
which appears to be big power distribution & fuse setup. I would
check voltage across all of them when things dim.
Luck.
2005 GTX SC

The battery test was just the one that my battery charger allows for. I assume it does not load it. I will make that my first test. The battery is not particularly old; I can't remember if it was new last season or the season before.

My family schedule has kept me away from the lake for a couple of weeks so I haven't been able to run through the suggestions yet. It will be another week or so before I can get to these. Thanks for all of the suggestions and I will update the results when I take action.

I was able to get to the lake this weekend and try some of your suggestions.

Checked the battery, it is fine. I did a full recharge on the battery with no change to the problem and I pulled the battery from the other SeaDoo (that is working fine) and used it to test with and got the same result. The battery itself is out.

Grounds. I checked all the grounds that I knew to check. As noted previously, I replaced the main ground from the battery to the engine before. I don't know if there are other grounds that I should be checking. Grounding checks may be incomplete, but no problems identified.

Shorted the solenoid to test. With the key on the post, I shorted the solenoid and the engine turned over without issue. The ski did not start though. Prior to this issue the engine started easily, so this test make me think that the ski is not set to start. Does this indicate DESS maybe?

Again, thanks everyone for your suggestions. I will document what I find and hopefully what the solution is so that others can benefit.

I would really pay good attention to the power cable , Short cable that goes from
start relay to positive terminal on battery, I believe it has 2 red wires connected
with it going to relay.

I would really pay good attention to the power cable , Short cable that goes from
start relay to positive terminal on battery, I believe it has 2 red wires connected
with it going to relay.
Thanks for the suggestion. I will look at it closely. I may create a temporary replacement cable to test with to rule it in or out.

Relay inside the fuse box , not the start relay
Got it. I thought that is the one that you were referring to. The solenoid was not expensive, so I am going to replace them both, just in case. Both were ordered and should be delivered shortly.

I like ski-D00's suggestion of the dess post. Shop manual has a procedure for testing (pages 311-318). Here's a link if you don't have it. I also would put a new beeper on it to hear what's going on there.

Shop Manual Download

I like ski-D00's suggestion of the dess post. Shop manual has a procedure for testing (pages 311-318). Here's a link if you don't have it. I also would put a new beeper on it to hear what's going on there.

Shop Manual Download
I will go through the DESS post checks this weekend. Thanks for the suggestion. I will post up the results when I complete this.

Quick update for all of you that have tossed in suggestions. I spent some time this weekend. No solution yet, but the DESS post is looking like it has a problem. As ski-D00 and Brad_GSX suggested, I went through the DESS post checks from the manual. I had one continuity check fail so I am hopeful that is my problem. I ordered the part today and will put it on when it arrives.

Here are the things that I did this weekend; none solved the problem or changed the status:
  • Replaced the 30 Amp relay
  • Replaced the starter solenoid
  • Ran the DESS check procedure - looks like there may be a problem here
  • Checked the positive battery harness. It was good. I actually had an entire new harness installed so it is new and the checks with the multimeter looked fine.
  • Checked the 30A fuses next to the 30 Amp relay; both to see if battery voltage was present and that the fuse was not blown; all ok.
  • Checked all other fuses to ensure none were blown; none were. These were all replaced as a part of the harness install also.
  • Even though I had already had the ECM validated, I swapped the ECM with the one in the working ski. The working ski continued to be happy and swapping the known good ECM did nothing for the broken ski.
I am hopeful that the DESS post is the magic ticket. I will let everyone know when I get the part installed.

Again, thanks to everyone for providing suggestions. I am no skilled mechanic, but I am persistent and happy for the advice.

Final update. For those of you voting for the DESS post, you were right. I got the part in and installed it today and all is well. The gauges light, the beeper beeps and the engine starts! Thanks to everyone who pitched in ideas; I could not have solved this on my own!

You should go back to the dealer that stole your money and threaten them with a lawsuit if they don't return some of your money. Their cost on that harness is only about $700 so they should at least refund a few hundred to you. I had your problem figured out in about 2 minutes. For future people reading this with the same problem, one of the big clues was that when your gauge went dim after a few seconds. I've also seen the 06-09 gauges actually missing digits in the LCD with a bad post(although this more commonly is from an incorrect flash year programmed).

Yeah, even though I am not a professional mechanic, I would not consider myself a novice. When the shop suggested a wiring harness, I said to them that their diagnosis didn't make sense. The symptoms were too regular in repeating to be corrosion. I said to them, I thought it was electronic (not electrical), e.g., ECM. They were confident that swapping out the harness would get it started. I said go ahead even if I doubted.

The reality is that I want my on lake shop to be successful (capabilities wise and financially) so I said go ahead. When, predictably, it didn't solve it, I spoke to them and their next step was to replace the ECM. In my mind, that at least was headed in the right direction, but the estimate was $1,200 for the part (plus some labor) and they said the part was backordered and would not be available for some months. They weren't testing the ECM to see if it was the problem, simply ordering another expensive part and throwing more spaghetti at the wall. That is when I said no dice.

When I picked up the ski, I went through everything with them and, long story short, a number of other troubling aspects about their competence, and basically realized that they truly didn't know what they were doing. This is a big operation and a SeaDoo authorized dealership. They tried to make the point that the ski was old and implied that it should be perfectly normal to expect that it is not working (I am sure SeaDoo would not put that on a promotional poster; we're great when new!). I let them know that it was clear they simply did not know what they were doing.

I know that I spent $1,300 for nothing. I don't think I was maliciously ripped off; I think it truly is a case of incompetence so I won't go back to try and get some money back. Actually, won't go back there for anything again. Sad for SeaDoo. These skis have been loads of fun, but I am in the market (trying to purchase a new PWC today is a whole different topic) for a pair of skis. Yamaha all the way!

I do admit that I enjoyed figuring it out and, with all of the help here on the forum, solving it, so not a total loss. Thanks for your (and everyone else's) help on this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back