Ideas on impeller choice

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
So new to this forum and new to jet boats, so go easy on me!

I recently purchased a 2007 Challenger 180 and knew after the test ride that the boat suffered from some cavitation. Having been out several times since and also taking a good look at the impeller and wear ring, it seems that they have seen better days. So I’ve decided I want to replace the impeller, wear ring and probably the carbon seal while I’m at it.
I found this forum full of suggestions over the different years about thoughts on the best impellers, so I wanted to ask for an updated opinion. I’m heading down to Florida next week and thought I could probably swing by the PWC place in Tampa and pick up some shiny new parts.
Overall, I’m looking more for lower end performance. Top speed is less of a consideration that acceleration or out of the hole as it seems to be called! Given this, what would be the best impeller for this type of requirement?
Also what’s the best wear ring? The OEM plastic one or a stainless steel version? Would a stainless one cause more damage to the impeller if something was to be ingested?

I would appreciate any advice!

My list of things I now want to do has grown substantially since reading through this forum, but the family was all smiles and laughter on the boat so it’s worth it!

Stock prop works the best all around.stailess wear rings are good upgrade.but they are more expensive harder to change and less forgiving if your new to jet boats I would change the wear ring to stock plastic and learn with that then next year put the stainless on

So I managed to pick up an OEM plastic wear ring, and saw the 14/19 Solas for sale at PWC muscle so I decided to pick that up too! Let’s see if that makes much of a difference.

So I managed to pick up an OEM plastic wear ring, and saw the 14/19 Solas for sale at PWC muscle so I decided to pick that up too! Let’s see if that makes much of a difference.
Oem ring for sure, but I put a Solas on my 08 GTX, and it lost out of the hole performance , 3mph on top, and shreded my new wear ring in one ride. I think those impellers flex, because how in the world can it take out my wear ring when there was plenty of clearance around the impeller when I started it on the trailer before launching it. Put a new OEm ring and oem impeller, and the ski is perfect fast as it ever was. If it doesn't feel right with the Solas, it's not, mine sucked.

That’s interesting that it shredded the wear ring. I’ve read that others on here that have had good experiences with the 14/19 Solas. Could it be a one off? Unfortunately I’m going to have to wait a few months before I try it out (in the big white North). I’ll report back when I get it back on the water. If it goes south, I’ll throw a new OEM on. Anything has to be better than the beaten up one I have on it now.

That’s interesting that it shredded the wear ring. I’ve read that others on here that have had good experiences with the 14/19 Solas. Could it be a one off? Unfortunately I’m going to have to wait a few months before I try it out (in the big white North). I’ll report back when I get it back on the water. If it goes south, I’ll throw a new OEM on. Anything has to be better than the beaten up one I have on it now.
The only people's was on the higher HP se Doo Solas had a bad batch of props that was 5-6 years ago.instalked hundreds of Solas props not one problem.never a problem on a stock ski

Dont know, it was fine before it hit the water even running it for 10 seconds on the trailer, not a scratch on the ring. Then I just launched it and rode it for a few minutes . Didn't like the performance, so I trailered it , and looked at the wear ring, and it was gouged real deep. Put my worn oem impeller back on with another oem ring, and it took off like crazy. So I just bought a new oem, and moved on. The Solas looks all pretty, wish it worked out for me. I think the pitch for sure was off. I couldn't get past 7100rpm, but the original rides right at 7400rpm , where the peak power supposed to be. I feel the Solas 19pitch should of over reved my oem 21pitch, but it did the opposite . Wish I had a pitch gauge to check it with before I shipped it back.

Dont know, it was fine before it hit the water even running it for 10 seconds on the trailer, not a scratch on the ring. Then I just launched it and rode it for a few minutes . Didn't like the performance, so I trailered it , and looked at the wear ring, and it was gouged real deep. Put my worn oem impeller back on with another oem ring, and it took off like crazy. So I just bought a new oem, and moved on. The Solas looks all pretty, wish it worked out for me. I think the pitch for sure was off. I couldn't get past 7100rpm, but the original rides right at 7400rpm , where the peak power supposed to be. I feel the Solas 19pitch should of over reved my oem 21pitch, but it did the opposite . Wish I had a pitch gauge to check it with before I shipped it back.
My new wear ring finally gouged out with the oem impeller, so I don't think it was the Solas after all. I am in the process of converting my pump to the metal housing, I feel the plastic pump housing is the culprit now. I'm not sure if the Solas pitch was correct though, it really struggled out of the hole. WHen I pressed my new wear ring in the metal housing, I have taken up about .010 around the impeller, tighter. That plastic housing must of been all deformed. Can't wait for the rest of my conversion parts now, I want to see how it performs now. I just dumped about $500 on the metal conversion pump, have to wait until the wife calms down , before I try a new Solas impeller again with the new housing. PS. before you put that Solas on your pump, make sure it will work. My GTX is an 08, and has the older style shaft, and Solas website says doesn't list the prop to fit, but all the retailers say it will. Well , it didn't exactly without a little dremel work. What happens, is they changed the oring sealing design on the newer boats, thats what the Solas seems to redesign for, and when you tighten down the impeller, the new lip on the back of the impeller, squeezes on your oil seal, to the point the impeller will be real stiff to turn. Easy to spot, compare the impeller where the threads start to screw on . Yours must look exactly the same as the Solas, it's either flat , or has a lip around the impeller, with a oring installed in it(newer style). All the retailers says it would just fit on mine , but only experienced Doo mechanics know it won't. If you don't want you impeller to turn, I guess it was just fine.LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back