RESTO My semi resto 96 XP project

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

suke

Mine is def not nearly as involved as racerxxx. My motor is in great shape so this is more of a cosmetic make over.

Getting further along. Added up all the parts I need and looks like I've got about $900 worth of stuff I need to get. Largest in part are the graphic replicas. Waterbox is completely solid, and exhaust already had the typical leaky holes welded shut.
23.jpg

Oil tank out
24.jpg

Removed the old mats. So glad these aren't glued down like my Yamaha was. Instead of 2 weeks worth of work to get them off and clean it took me less than an hour.
25.jpg

Still have a long way to go. Have to remove the gas tank, need to drain the gas first, remove the MPEM and unplug it's last few connections, steering off, sponsons, and towing loop in the back. Then rip off the logos and buff the hell outta it.

Nice start. I am starting the same project myself, but mine needs the motor gone through as well. I've pulled the pump, engine, exhaust, electrics and the tanks, then cleaned the interior of the hull. The SuperClean works like a charm!!!

Guess I will have to start a thread. Racerxxx is my inspiration.

Sounds like theres a 96xp fever being passed around this site! I picked up a 96xp about a month ago and have been working on it, but Im not going for the resto, just trying to get it running reliably and cleaned up. Cleaned up as in removing the faded stickers, buffing the hull, replacing the mat, heat gun the palstic hood, and clean the interior the best I can WITHOUT pulling the motor or pump. Defiently not going to the extreme that racerxxx did, although it looks pretty bad azz.

Anywayas, I wanted to ask, how did you go about getting the old mats off? It looks like they're riveted in.

I just drilled out the rivets. Super quick and easy. If the second piece won't pull up through the hull just push them down in. Fill the holes with some kind of epoxy or sealant and call it a day.

I haven't done the sealant part though.

Yeah I came to this site after a buddy of mine pointed me to it from his 95 XP 800 restoration.

get that pressure washer running sir !

to fill the holes I used marine tex, worked fine, probably overkill, that stuff is tuffer than the hull, anyway, just don't use silicone.

Last edited by a moderator:
get that pressure washer running sir !

to fill the holes I used marine tex, worked fine, probably overkill, that stuff is tuffer than the hull, anyway, just don't use silicone.

Yep i'll pull out the pressure washer soon. She's almost all the way stripped now. No silicone? What about the 3m 4200 sealant?

Got a little more done tonight. Drained the gas tank and removed it. Removed the sponsons, steering, oil and gas filler caps, and fuel selector.

61.jpg

62.jpg

63.jpg

64.jpg

Nice! I amazing how fast they can get stripped to nothing! Keep up the great work. The same lazy SOb must have filled your expandable foam that did mine. They didn't even cut the filler tube!(can be seen 2 pics up)

Nice! I amazing how fast they can get stripped to nothing! Keep up the great work. The same lazy SOb must have filled your expandable foam that did mine. They didn't even cut the filler tube!(can be seen 2 pics up)

Is that what that tube is? I was wondering what it went to.

Yeah it doesn't take too long to get her broken down. Hopefully I can get her back together as fast. This is the most involved project I've ever gotten into.

looked up marine tex. Sounds like an epoxy.....would JB weld waterweld be a similar thing? Reason why I ask is I have some of that already.

looked up marine tex. Sounds like an epoxy.....would JB weld waterweld be a similar thing? Reason why I ask is I have some of that already.

not sure, just as long as it doesnt' resist the adhesive... and you really just have to fill very very tiny holes, so unless somebody objects, i'm ok with it, the first time I did it, i went overboard, splashed stuff everywhere, it looked like I was making a peanut butter sandwich with expxy, the 2nd time, i was MUCH more careful.. you dont' need much to fill those holes.

not sure, just as long as it doesnt' resist the adhesive... and you really just have to fill very very tiny holes, so unless somebody objects, i'm ok with it, the first time I did it, i went overboard, splashed stuff everywhere, it looked like I was making a peanut butter sandwich with expxy, the 2nd time, i was MUCH more careful.. you dont' need much to fill those holes.

Oh yeah I'm def going to JUST fill those holes. Buddy of mine said not to use epoxy since the hull flexes....although I wouldn't think it would flex enough to bust any epoxy in those tiny holes. They'll be covered by the mats anyways..... sooooooo I dunno.

Went out during lunch and cleaned the hull with the pressure washer, super clean, and a mixture of bleach/water for the styrofoam. Since I detail cars on the side making things look good is second nature to me. Getting this thing back together and actually running wil be nothing short of a miracle. lol

101.jpg

102.jpg

103.jpg

104.jpg

104.jpg

105.jpg

106.jpg

107.jpg

108.jpg

109.jpg

110.jpg

111.jpg

This is why I'm replacing the graphics. They're all kinds of nicked up and faded.
112.jpg

113.jpg

114.jpg

Cleaned up the gas tank as well.
115.jpg

116.jpg

The inside looks very clean, super clean! Also, I have the very same brush! It makes ashamed of my nasty bilge and will invest in some of that super clean and attempt to clean it up like you and racerxxx have done recently.

Good job on the restore project, thanks for sharing.

The inside looks very clean, super clean! Also, I have the very same brush! It makes ashamed of my nasty bilge and will invest in some of that super clean and attempt to clean it up like you and racerxxx have done recently.

Good job on the restore project, thanks for sharing.

Make sure you go behind it with some soap. It leaves this weird slimy type residue otherwise. I've used it before to clean wheel wells and wheels/tires. Always follow behind with soap and water. This is more so when it's full strength, which is usually what you'd use inside a hull area.

How did you make that jetski cart? Can you give me a parts list and measurements, want to make one for my SPX.

How did you make that jetski cart? Can you give me a parts list and measurements, want to make one for my SPX.

I did a lot of googling and looked at the good and the bad from everyone's design......then made my own. HAH! I can give you an idea of what I bought and what I did.

Parts I bought:
1 10ft 3" PVC pipe
1 12ft 2x6
1 set of 4" casters
16 3/8 lag bolts with washers and corresponding nuts
4 3" sanitary T's
4 90* elbows

I bought 1 10 ft 3" round PVC pipe. Cut 2 4 ft sections out of the 10 ft pipe. The remaining 2 ft you'll use as the cross pieces. You'll need to figure out how wide to make it. You may not need a full 1 ft for each cross piece. 1 ft was too much for my XP and causes it to have a little gangster lean. Which drives me nuts!!! If I took off an inch or 2 it would be perfect. You'll need 4 90* elbows and 4 3 way T's for the legs.

Cut the 2x6 into approx 2ft widths for the legs to go onto. Use the remaining wood as your center brace. I also cut up part of the 2x6 to go inside of the PVC on the legs. Then filled the long parts of the PVC with great stuff expanding insulation.

It's not cheap by any means. It's about $100 worth of materials. I think I've seen some on greenhulk that are all wood that some say are $35 worth of material.

Let me know if you need any more info. I'll do what I can to point you in the right direction. Seen a couple skis on the pavement from folks not doing things right! Definitely wait for the glue to cure.....OH forgot the glue portion. You'll need Glue( I bought Oatley brand the extra hard sealant or whatever it's called.....green labeled can) and you'll need primer( Once again Oatley can and it's in a purple labeled can). It was located right where I got the PVC. Seems like on greenhulk they have a stand build thread just about everyday. I can see the stand bowing ever so slightly under the weight now of my wave venture 700. Will most likely put carpet on the stands to help out with sliding. Folks say you can spray WD40 or the liquid rails stuff. Personally I'd rather have the protection of the carpet. That will also help out with the lean my XP has.

Let me know if you need any more info. I'll do what I can to point you in the right direction. Seen a couple skis on the pavement from folks not doing things right! Definitely wait for the glue to cure.....OH forgot the glue portion. You'll need Glue( I bought Oatley brand the extra hard sealant or whatever it's called.....green labeled can) and you'll need primer( Once again Oatley can and it's in a purple labeled can). It was located right where I got the PVC. Seems like on greenhulk they have a stand build thread just about everyday. I can see the stand bowing ever so slightly under the weight now of my wave venture 700. Will most likely put carpet on the stands to help out with sliding. Folks say you can spray WD40 or the liquid rails stuff. Personally I'd rather have the protection of the carpet. That will also help out with the lean my XP has.

suke, nice thread so far, enjoying it much :)

regarding the stand, i have two right now and i'm looking into your basic idea and maybe spinning off that design just with wood, i have the tools to do wood, and I think i can repeat that basic design with a combination of 2x4 and 2x6's (maybe some 4x4 post risers) and make it work, will post results when i actually get around to starting the project. Also started working on a design where I can have two retractable stands that mount onto the back of the house that will hold a 3 seater each, just simple boards on hinges that hit some form of portable cross brace, nothing to fancy, but a simple way to reduce clutter in the back yard and sneak the ski's under the roof against the house vs just sitting in the back yard looking random and ugly.

Not sure of the rules and posting links to other forums but I saw on greenhulk the other day a build of all wood that looked pretty sweet. Might want to check it out. Apparently it was pretty cheap.

Removed the other side of graphics. This seemed to take a lot longer than the other side.
151.jpg

A lot of work to do to make the rest of the ski shine this good.
152.jpg

Especially from this
153.jpg

Tis is GREAT WORK, I wish I had a Garage to get working on mine. New Jerseys Winter is coming and its already getting COLDDDDDDD!!

Anyway I'm in the Process of geeting new Oem Decals recreated and uing my own colors, but first I need to strip the Graphics. What did you use to strip the Graphics...I just saw a bunch of pruple stuff.

Subd on this!! Looking to get some new Decals all the way around for my XP as well! cant wait to see the final product

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back