1995 HX Project

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
It’s ok I got it. The trick for me seems to be wrestle with it for half an hour and then post, because as soon as I post I seen to get it right away

E36CE3FA-2A9D-403C-ABE7-78D3888289A2.jpegThis is me before my first ride on an HX trying to see if I can balance it, 1 little movement the wrong way while sitting still and it’s going to roll over. Almost contemplated not going out on it but then I said to hell with that, I didn’t put all this work into it, to not even ride it.8FD64FBA-9CFB-4ACF-B2E2-3BD920CD1AE2.pngand off I go, I wish I could say there were no issues at all, which at first there wasn’t. I had taken it out for about 10 minutes no issues, then my daughters boyfriend Blake to it, no issues, then I went for one more ride and as I was leaving it would not rev up, I had already left the dock and was barely moving as if I was just letting it idle, after about 10 feet or so it finally caught and off I went again with no more issues. I have a couple ideas but I’m not sure at all what could have caused this no go on the 3 rd short ride? I rebuilt the carburetors with genuine Mikuni but I’m not 100 percent sure that I didn’t punch through the grommet that holds the Mylar disc to the fuel pump block. I’m not saying I did for sure but it is a possibility. Only other thing I could mention is that when I got it back on the trailer I started it to expel as much water as I could and it seemed like a fair amount came out, much more than comes out of any of my other machines anyways. Other than the grommets I don’t have any other ideas as to why it would have done this?
Any preferred setting for the trim? The rear end is completely submerged while sitting with me on it, and I feel like when I’m moving it’s still deep in the water, the machine doesn’t seem to rise out of the water as much as my other machines I’ve rode. Anyways I’m glad I fixed it, and ride it even if I’m not sure if I like it or not. At least I got to ride one.

Anyone have any ideas on the idling for 5 or 6 feet? Gave it throttle but was running like it was idling in the last ride

It sounds like it is a little rich and loading up.
Check pop-off and pressure test. Idle could be a little low?

The HX is tail heavy and rides low in the water which is why it will out turn almost anything, just the way it is.

It sounds like it is a little rich and loading up.
Check pop-off and pressure test. Idle could be a little low?

The HX is tail heavy and rides low in the water which is why it will out turn almost anything, just the way it is.
I would have to look back in this thread to see exactly where they popped off but I do remember they were almost identical and within the 40 to 56 range, I want to say it was 45 or 50. When I rebuilt the carburetors I may have pushed through one of the grommets on the fuel pump block. I know I pushed through one and had to use one of the original grommets and I can’t remember for sure but maybe through the other one. Could that possibly cause this issue? I have the Tiny Tach I ordered waiting for me to pick up, so once I get it, I can check the idle speed. I also didn’t check the size of the jets because I didn’t have a magnifying glass.

I’m going to read through the Mikuni manual again tonight so I can talk halfway intelligently but the low speed screw I believe has an effect up to about 1/3 throttle, something else I should look at maybe? Maybe turn it in an 1/8th if a turn to lean it a bit? Anyways, no big rush on it now, I rode it.

I forgot to mention that a red light for fuel was on, on the display? There was probably about 3/4 of a tank and I don’t get that anyways, there doesn’t appear to be a float of any kind in the tank anyways, just 2 hoses, 1 for the on and the reserve pickup hose.

It could be a fuel pump issue.

The low fuel light is just an idiot light, has nothing to do with the ski running.

I think I found the problem as to why it didn’t take right off on the 3rd run. Boneheaded move on my part, I must have only had the plugs in hand tight. I was able to turn the one in 1/8th of a turn or so by hand yesterday 🙄😀, Probably put the new graphics on it over the winter and possibly list it for sale next summer once it warms up, Never sold one but I doubt this HX is for me

Back