RESTO 96 XP Resto

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks great! I have never tried any other steering/handlebars on any X4 or seadoo I have owned, but I might have to try it.

Looks great! I have never tried any other steering/handlebars on any X4 or seadoo I have owned, but I might have to try it.

I like the UMI steering because it corrects the shitty steering stem angle the X4’s have and keeps me from banging the bars against my knees. They are getting harder to find in good shape, but I think Nick at Westside makes a brand new version for the price of a good used UMI.

I also think motocross bars look cool on the ski, for whatever that’s worth. I’m sure I’ll break down and install it one of these days.

Out of curiosity, what does everyone use in place of the rubber gauge boot on the single gauge hoods? Sea-Doo part number 293-720-005 is impossible to find and the hole in the single gauge hoods is too big for the gasket & nut combo on the elephant ear hoods to work. I’ve been stalking eBay but haven’t found shit and I need two of them. I though about using an oil filter gasket and tightening up the nut on the gauge but would rather do it right.

Any ideas?

Last edited:
Contact Nick or Jess at Westside Powersports Seadoo as he was having new ones made at one point.

Been down for the count with Covid the last week and a half, but took advantage of the warm weather and feeling a bit better this weekend to get everything wrapped up minus reassembling the pump housing:

100_4283.jpg

I decided to go a different route with the bars & ordered a set of KTM 50 mini bars. They look a little more proportionate on the ski and are a lot more comfortable. Thanks to some help by @fatblockabody, I'll be water jetting custom UMHW sponsons in the coming weeks as well as working with a local machine shop to machine custom start/stop & VTS switch housings.

The hump seat I've had stored the last several years is in rough shape. It'll end up getting new seat foam and a Jettrim cover at some point, but I'll be reusing the stock seat for the time being. The Jettrim seat cover going on this ski is identical to the one above, except the rear of the seat will be pink instead of the white seen above.

Looks great!

Seadoo’s are the only proven COVID cure. Don’t tell anyone though or the prices will get even higher, lol.
Saw a listing for a battered 95 SP with no trailer, title or functional carb(s)? for $2250 the other day. Glad I found my XP when I did lol.

Been down for the count with Covid the last week and a half, but took advantage of the warm weather and feeling a bit better this weekend to get everything wrapped up minus reassembling the pump housing:

View attachment 57635

I decided to go a different route with the bars & ordered a set of KTM 50 mini bars. They look a little more proportionate on the ski and are a lot more comfortable. Thanks to some help by @fatblockabody, I'll be water jetting custom UMHW sponsons in the coming weeks as well as working with a local machine shop to machine custom start/stop & VTS switch housings.

The hump seat I've had stored the last several years is in rough shape. It'll end up getting new seat foam and a Jettrim cover at some point, but I'll be reusing the stock seat for the time being. The Jettrim seat cover going on this ski is identical to the one above, except the rear of the seat will be pink instead of the white seen above.
Lookin sharp man, First saw your ski on reddit. Glad to see its coming along so well!

Image1643676655.452068.jpg

I should have said this early on, but excuse my messy garage - we’re currently renovating the house and the main garage is full of new kitchen cabinets until I get around to hanging them.

Got the pump and carbs reinstalled only to find out the fuel filter housing had cracked and leaked fuel all over the tank. Ordered a replacement that should be here this coming Friday. So, with any luck, I’ll have a running ski by Saturday. Just in time for the 12-15 inches of snow we’re expecting.

Winter sucks. I need to move to Florida.

As a side note, if anyone has any decent aftermarket heads and 43CC domes for sale, please let me know. Ideally I'd be looking for a Miller/Buckshot/Hot Products style head, but I'm not opposed to the Novi/FRM or West Coast style, either.

The head on mine is probably fine, but there is some minor pitting on the domes, so now is the perfect time.

I think I have a few of those rubber gauge supports 293-720-005 if you still need one
I was planning on 3D printing a few supports but if you have one available I'd be interested. Shoot me a PM when you get a chance. Thanks!

Have a new question for you all. The ski had been running well since I rebuilt the carbs , jet pump, etc. I've had primers on most of my skis in the past, and decided I wanted to install a primer kit this past weekend.

Long story short, I'm having an issue with bogging off idle ever since I pulled the carbs to install the primer kit. The ski is bone stock, both carbs were rebuilt with genuine Mikuni kits (Back to Stock kits from OSD Marine), needles and seats were replaced, all gaskets, etc. Popoff was tested three times on each carb and averaged 32PSI. The ski idles and revs to about 4K RPMs perfectly, but falls flat on its face anything past 4K.

Given that the carbs, fuel lines and fuel filter are all brand new, could these symptoms point to a bad rectifier? I haven't had a chance to pull the red/black wire but plan to do so this evening, along with trimming back the plug wires.

For what it's worth, in an effort to prevent the primer seals from drying out and causing an air leak, I looped and tapped the return line for the primer kit, but I don't see that causing an issue. The only other item I suspect might cause an issue is the brass nipples provided in the OSD primer kit - I've always installed these as a press fit with a dab of locktite, however they seem to be very loose in these carbs and the PTO side likes to pop out of its hole when the ski is given any throttle..

I always put the primer tee on the RES line to avoid any restriction or air leaks on the ON fuel line. For the fittings on the carbs I have always used JB Weld.

The rectifier is very easy to check, just unplug the red wire from the rectifier and see if the ski runs fine.

I always put the primer tee on the RES line to avoid any restriction or air leaks on the ON fuel line. For the fittings on the carbs I have always used JB Weld.

The rectifier is very easy to check, just unplug the red wire from the rectifier and see if the ski runs fine.
Well, it doesn't appear to be the rectifier. With the red wire unplugged, it revved to about 4600 RPM before falling flat on its face. I'm contemplating putting the primer tee on the reserve line for easier starts, but I can't see that as the root cause of the issue.

I may end up pulling the carbs for a third time and giving everything another once over. Lows are set 1-1/4 turns out and highs are 0 turns out. Not sure what's going on!

Did you remove the chokes when you installed the primer? I've never installed primers but perhaps removing the choke might alter the fuel/air misture. Might need more fuel. Just a thought. Good Luck !!

Did you remove the chokes when you installed the primer? I've never installed primers but perhaps removing the choke might alter the fuel/air misture. Might need more fuel. Just a thought. Good Luck !!

Yes, choke butterflies and shafts were removed. I’ve never re-jetted carbs in the past after installing a primer kit, so I’d be surprised if the small amount of additional airflow would create an issue, but it’s possible.

I pulled the carbs off this afternoon and discovered the PTO carb was leaking air through base gasket when I retested my pop off. I went ahead and ordered a new gasket, so we’ll see if that helps at all. Adjusted the low speed screws to 1 turn out and zeroed the highs, so we’ll see what happens. I’m out traveling for work the rest of the week but will definitely update this weekend.

Decided to make the best use of my downtime while waiting on carb parts from OSD Marine for the XP and pull the SPX out of the lonely corner it’s been in for the past four months.

Not a lot to show in the way of photos, but did quite a few things I’d been neglecting. New choke cable, reinstalled the oil tank (previous owner converted to premix and removed the oil tank), and finally installed the single gauge hood I picked up.

For some reason, it keeps popping the 5A fuse in the MPEM. I replaced the entire wiring harness and gray ebox, MPEM, etc. about six months ago with used parts from a freshwater 95 XP. It’s intermittent, but I’m wondering if it’s the VTS or rectifier. Once the weather decides to warm back up, I’ll do all the typical checks and see if that resolves the issues. Really hoping I don’t end up having to buy yet another MPEM, though.

IMG_0290.JPG

IMG_0291.JPG

My 1996 SPI blew the whole MPEM. along with the 5amp fuse. That was the beginning of my delving into the MPEMs. Root cause ended up being the rectifier so do some checks on that. Don't let it keep popping that 5 amp fuse it may get into the MPEM and blow the diode I had to replace. Upon testing the rectifier it was easy to determined it was shorted internally. Good Luck !!

At the time of failure I was riding my ski and having a ball on this twisty river and all of a sudden BAM, dead. Everything.

My 1996 SPI blew the whole MPEM. along with the 5amp fuse. That was the beginning of my delving into the MPEMs. Root cause ended up being the rectifier so do some checks on that. Don't let it keep popping that 5 amp fuse it may get into the MPEM and blow the diode I had to replace. Upon testing the rectifier it was easy to determined it was shorted internally. Good Luck !!

At the time of failure I was riding my ski and having a ball on this twisty river and all of a sudden BAM, dead. Everything.
Good to know. I didn't have any issues with it all year last year, but first fire up this year it started once, died, then popped the fuse the next time I tried to fire it. I had originally thought it popped when I reconnected the infogauge, so I put a new fuse in, fired it two or three more times, and it popped again.

The VTS does not work on this ski, but I don't believe I have it disconnected, so I'll start there. I'll test the rectifier as well. Just hoping it's not the MPEM because this will be the third OEM one I've bought in the last six months! Other than this issue, this has been by far the most reliable X4 I've ever owned. Always fires right up season after season and never gives me any issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back