RESTO 96 XP Resto

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
From what I've read on the forum in the past a faulty trim mechanism can cause problems with the MPEM. They remove the fuse I believe. Good Luck and have fun !!

A bad VTS trim system can blow a MPEM. If you have any doubts of the VTS then unplug both plugs going to it before it ruins the MPEM.

A bad VTS trim system can blow a MPEM. If you have any doubts of the VTS then unplug both plugs going to it before it ruins the MPEM.
Both plugs are disconnected and the 7.5 amp fuse in the ebox was pulled. I'm 99% certain that was causing my issues. Seeing as the SPX is primarily ridden by the family, I'll most likely end up installing the old HX manual trim adjuster and calling it good.

Picked up a new (to me) double trailer this weekend, which means both X4’s were finally able to make it back home! Planning to compete the last few final touches and give everything a good once over before taking them back to the lake for Memorial Day weekend.

Unfortunately, I didn’t get to water test either ski this weekend as it’s supposed to turn cold again, and I’m still waiting on parts from OSD. Now that I have a double trailer, it’ll be first on my list the next warm weekend.

As a side note, if anyone in the northwest Missouri area is looking for a used but still decent single place trailer, let me know. It’s nothing special, but it’s got new pressure treated bunks, new LED lights and wiring harness, and new tires & wheel bearings.

IMG_1457.JPGIMG_1458.JPGIMG_1459.JPG

Picked up a new (to me) double trailer this weekend, which means both X4’s were finally able to make it back home! Planning to compete the last few final touches and give everything a good once over before taking them back to the lake for Memorial Day weekend.

Unfortunately, I didn’t get to water test either ski this weekend as it’s supposed to turn cold again, and I’m still waiting on parts from OSD. Now that I have a double trailer, it’ll be first on my list the next warm weekend.

As a side note, if anyone in the northwest Missouri area is looking for a used but still decent single place trailer, let me know. It’s nothing special, but it’s got new pressure treated bunks, new LED lights and wiring harness, and new tires & wheel bearings.

View attachment 58145View attachment 58146View attachment 58147
I'd keep this trailer. Good to have when you to move one ski. Who knows you might pick up a deal. :) Also... they make great work tables. Lay a couple of 2 by 12's Across the back and VIOLA !! Work table. :) See me for more interesting recipes. LOL GREAT work on the skis !!!!

I'd keep this trailer. Good to have when you to move one ski. Who knows you might pick up a deal. :) Also... they make great work tables. Lay a couple of 2 by 12's Across the back and VIOLA !! Work table. :) See me for more interesting recipes. LOL GREAT work on the skis !!!!

The only “deal” I’d consider after finishing these skis is either a 95 XP800 or a 99 SPX. As you can probably tell, I have either too many hobbies or too much work.. some days I can’t decide which!

I have around 14 skis outside. I haven't bought any more but I get tempted. I just sold my 2005 Road King cuz I don't ride it and it sits and gets funky. Took me a week to clean it up like I like and get it ready for the road. It is spotless and beautiful. I miss it already. The kinda bike you can just stare and admire. I am a crotchrocketeer at heart though. I'm gonna get a smaller lighter bad azz bike. :) Stick to your guns... there are only so many hours in the week. Good Luck !!

I have around 14 skis outside. I haven't bought any more but I get tempted. I just sold my 2005 Road King cuz I don't ride it and it sits and gets funky. Took me a week to clean it up like I like and get it ready for the road. It is spotless and beautiful. I miss it already. The kinda bike you can just stare and admire. I am a crotchrocketeer at heart though. I'm gonna get a smaller lighter bad azz bike. :) Stick to your guns... there are only so many hours in the week. Good Luck !!

I completely understand that.. my Buell XB9 sees the track maybe three times a year and the XB12 sitting next to it gets ridden maybe two dozen times a year, but I’m attached to them. Shame what HD did to the Buell name but business is business.

I completely understand that.. my Buell XB9 sees the track maybe three times a year and the XB12 sitting next to it gets ridden maybe two dozen times a year, but I’m attached to them. Shame what HD did to the Buell name but business is business.
I'm Looking at the Aprilia Shiver 900. I'm a Yamaha guy but I want a V-Twin and not a Duc. Bikes are so much easier than jet skis to fix and work on. LOL Post some pictures of your bikes. I like to see them. My track bike is a SV 650 Superbike ( apart right now)

I'm Looking at the Aprilia Shiver 900. I'm a Yamaha guy but I want a V-Twin and not a Duc. Bikes are so much easier than jet skis to fix and work on. LOL Post some pictures of your bikes. I like to see them. My track bike is a SV 650 Superbike ( apart right now)

I’ll send you some in a PM, I don’t want to clutter up this thread with bikes lol

Well, the wait is officially over. Both X4’s are complete!

IMG_1476.JPG
IMG_1477.JPG

The Jettrim seat covers turned out sweet, but the XP will definitely be getting the reconditioned hump seat installed once I find time to shave some new foam and recover. Thankfully, one of my family members runs an upholstery shop as their full time job, so I may outsource the hump seat just like I did these seat covers. The SPX has a set of Hydro-Turf mats waiting to be installed, too.

In hindsite, I wish i would’ve been more thorough in documenting all the work put into these skis, but truth be told, I don’t think I have the patience that some of the other forum members have when it comes to taking photos while actually doing the work. I do have my eyes out for a nice HX or 95 XP800, though, so there’s always the possibility I’ll go more into depth the next time around.

Next up, photos and maybe a few videos of these things on the water. Headed to the Ozarks in three weeks and back down to their home in Tablerock in about a month!

Resurrecting this thread to hopefully get some troubleshooting assistance. Finally got the XP out on the lake this weekend, however it seems to be hitting a ceiling at around 4800 RPM both in and out of the water. When the pump comes unhooked in heavy chop I'll very briefly see a spike to about 5700 RPM, but then it's right back down to 4800 and barely getting up on plane. A few steps I've taken to this point:

• Freshly rebuilt carbs with OSD Marine 'Back to OEM' kits. Pop off at 37psi each carb. Only mod is a primer kit.
  • New fuel lines & selector
  • Unplugged the red wire at the rectifier. Seemed to slightly help, though I haven't had the chance to water test since doing so.
  • Cleaned the RAVEs, adjusted caps flush with top of RAVE housing. Red adjuster was almost bottomed out from previous owner and I failed to adjust them prior to taking it out. Verified raves are opening up at the higher end of the RPM range.
  • Checked & adjusted the water regulator. No signs of leaking.
  • Verified it blows 150 +/- 3psi in each hole.
The strange thing is the ski will rev to about 7k when first started - after that, it bogs at about 4800 every time the throttle is touched. I guess I should note that this is a premix ski and I'm running pretty rich at 32:1 on this first tank as I have no idea what the history if this ski is. The plugs are pretty wet.

Any thoughts?

Sounds like you got things spot on. As an old 2-stroke guy give much creedence to the fact that your fuel mixture has a lot of oil. Since you have that heavy mixture I'd break the engine in and not worry about it for now. This may clear up with the proper mixture of fuel/oil.

We cleared a lot of land when I was younger. When somebody put too much oil in the mix the chain saws ran like crap. We knew immediately when we started the saws and we looked around for the culprit. :D The engines wouldn't rev. Skis are the same way as is every other two stroke. If they rev too high too quickly.... someone might have forgot to add the oil. Good Luck.

Sounds like you got things spot on. As an old 2-stroke guy give much creedence to the fact that your fuel mixture has a lot of oil. Since you have that heavy mixture I'd break the engine in and not worry about it for now. This may clear up with the proper mixture of fuel/oil.

We cleared a lot of land when I was younger. When somebody put too much oil in the mix the chain saws ran like crap. We knew immediately when we started the saws and we looked around for the culprit. :D The engines wouldn't rev. Skis are the same way as is every other two stroke. If they rev too high too quickly.... someone might have forgot to add the oil. Good Luck.

This is a good point and I agree. I’m going to remove what little 32:1 is left in the tank this evening and fill it with fresh 40:1 premix. I guess I kind of ruled it out because the SPX ran fine on the rich mix but that’s a whole different ski with a different motor, carb setup, etc.

I’m going to tinker with it more tonight and take it out to the lake this coming Sunday. Fingers crossed!

At least you'll rule out the fuel. Did you replace the spark plugs. If you didn't that might be your problem. They foul during break-in.

Yes sir, fresh BR8ES solid tops.
Cool. Many people are surprised how much better their skis run with new spark plugs. Things like, "I barely made it back to the dock. I dunno what's wrong." Then it's, "Wow my ski is running great now."LOL

Cool. Many people are surprised how much better their skis run with new spark plugs. Things like, "I barely made it back to the dock. I dunno what's wrong." Then it's, "Wow my ski is running great now."LOL

The new rectifier and 40:1 in the tank seemed to work wonders. It had been a number of years since I’d ridden a 787 X4 and I’ll tell ya what, it instantly brought a smile to my face!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back