RESTO My semi resto 96 XP project

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Any update on what graphics your going to run suke?

Likely just going to stick with the ones from exotic signs. Just waiting before I drop almost half of what I paid on the ski on graphics. lol
2.png

Other than that not too much to update on this. Haven't had a chance to work on it. Ordered up the jet kit and carb rebuild kit from Chris at watercraft magic. Ordered up a primer kit as well. So right now just spending money. HAH!

Preparing for a certification test at work so basically studying all the time right now. Pop on here to take breaks when I can. Thought I would get some time tonight to work on it, but looks like I now have other crap I have to take care of.

Also kind of holding out to see what i'm going to do about the steering pad cover.....hoping maybe in the off season can catch someone selling a really good one cheap. Or possibly a really good deal on a UMI setup. Don't want to put a huge dent in my budget quite yet.

i've seen guys use the xpl pad on the xp bars minor trimming of the white part is all it needed. I would put a TTO tach over the choke/dess hole in the pad and be set.... thinking of doing this myself.

Scott

i've seen guys use the xpl pad on the xp bars minor trimming of the white part is all it needed. I would put a TTO tach over the choke/dess hole in the pad and be set.... thinking of doing this myself.

Scott

Interesting......may look into that.

If your thinking about getting the TTO , this is where i put mine. Just trying to give you some ideas!

368.jpg

yip, its an easy install, i put mine right on the dash also, my sticker was toast so I put carbon fiber film on it.

1.jpg

you can also do a handlebar mount, one of two ways.

A mounting plate...

1.jpg

or zip tied right to the handlebars.

1.jpg

rear view...
1.jpg

Moving along slowly. Got to work on it a bit tonight. Been working on the Yamaha instead in my free time. Getting back to the seadoo now.
New toys to rebuild the carbs and primer kits for both skis.
373.jpg

Not messing with the bottom of the footwells. I tried to buff them and they literally destroyed one of my pads in a matter of seconds. No thanks at $12 a pad I'm not messing with that stuff. Did a dry fit of the mats and they cover up all the bad stuff. Was able to get my buffer in there on the sides though.
374.jpg

375.jpg

376.jpg

377.jpg

378.jpg

379.jpg

380.jpg

381.jpg

382.jpg

383.jpg

384.jpg

I haven't done the final buff on the left side. Will get to that tomorrow. Should be done with the top side hopefully by tomorrow. Then gotta flip it and work on the bottom. Need to order some gelcoat, and my keelguard.

I have a premer for my 97 gsx under the front conpartment do the tubes connect to the oil tank? My tubes are rotten and loose.

the work on the hull really looks nice ! I'd like to ship you 2 hulls for work !

no reason to worry much about the footwells, it will be covered up anyway, you just want it to stick. i've used a simple soft scrub pad and some brake clean and called it a day before with no issues.

yeah it's as slick as it's gonna get. I blasted the mess outta it with a pressure washer and scrubbed it good. Forgot about the softscrub......when I do the final clean up after all the buffing I may use some of that in there.

I have a premer for my 97 gsx under the front conpartment do the tubes connect to the oil tank? My tubes are rotten and loose.

I'm going premix on this one and went premix on my other ski. So I just tapped into the return fuel line coming off the carb for the yamaha. Haven't looked at the Sea-doo setup yet.

All done buffing the top side. Need to flip it over and do the bottom next.
388.jpg

389.jpg

390.jpg

391.jpg

392.jpg

393.jpg

Also got the carbs rebuilt. Tested the pop off and first test it was right at or a little past 20psi on my gauge. It measures in increments of 20 so it's hard to figure out exactly the number it is if it isn't a whole number. It's supposed to be right at 24-25. The subsequent tests it was right at 25. But for some reason every time I started over on a set of tests it would pop either right at 20 or right after. My gauge is a home made gauge so I'm not putting too much stock in it. I tested with other springs and one popped at 30+ psi and the other was at like 15 PSI. lol So I think I'm where I should be at. Time will tell next spring when I'm done and put her in the water. Also hoping I put the right gaskets back in. HAH! I have a manual but it only shows the mag carb going back together 100%. Figured the other one takes the same gaskets.....minus the gaskets necessary for the fuel pump. Guess that's what I get for taking the carbs apart to look at them then put em in a box for several weeks. DOH! Nothing real surprising came out.....carbs were pretty clean. Cleaned up some rust in them, and need to toss a quick coat of paint on them. Other than that those check valves suck! Fortunately the kits had 2 pairs in each. I botched one or two of them. Then figured out how to finally get them in using a fuse tester I had lying around. lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Working on the bottom now. Got it flipped onto a stand from Mpower.
36.jpg

Some serious work needs to go on here. Ordered a gelcoat patch kit. Will patch it, sand it, then cover it with a keelguard.
37.jpg

Other gouges I need to fix.
38.jpg

Barnacles?
39.jpg

Random scrapes
40.jpg

Typical oxidation
41.jpg

Will get working on it tonight.

Moving along slowly. Got to work on it a bit tonight. Been working on the Yamaha instead in my free time. Getting back to the seadoo now.
New toys to rebuild the carbs and primer kits for both skis.
373.jpg

Not messing with the bottom of the footwells. I tried to buff them and they literally destroyed one of my pads in a matter of seconds. No thanks at $12 a pad I'm not messing with that stuff. Did a dry fit of the mats and they cover up all the bad stuff. Was able to get my buffer in there on the sides though.
374.jpg

375.jpg

376.jpg

377.jpg

378.jpg

379.jpg

380.jpg

381.jpg

382.jpg

383.jpg

384.jpg

I haven't done the final buff on the left side. Will get to that tomorrow. Should be done with the top side hopefully by tomorrow. Then gotta flip it and work on the bottom. Need to order some gelcoat, and my keelguard.

I have a yellow 4ft keel guard that I'm not going to use if you're interested. I've only opened te package to look at what it would take to install and that's it. Pm me if interested.

OH MAN! Just a little too late. I already ordered one. A 4ft yellow one at that. Got anything else that you're looking to get rid of? :)

I still need a handlebar pad cover, oil block off kit(going premix), exhaust gaskets......sure I'm missing something.

nope, sorry. i ordered it because the keel on mine looked like yours, but rather than just stick the keelguard over the missing gelcoat, i decided to get it repaired correctly. mine was in pretty bad shape due to the 97 being a good bit narrower than the x4, and has a deeper keel. the trailer it was on had the bunks too far apart, so if the trailer wasn't far enough in the water or the ramp was not steep enough the keel would bang on the steel trailer before it hit the bunks. its similar on my roadmaster double as well, but i've narrowed the bunks a bit and am still working on how to keep from damaging it again.

If you want to buff the footpad area, i have a simple solution on how to do that read this,

http://www.seadooforum.com/showthread.php?48028-How-to-clean-your-sun-faded-hood-cover-w-pictures

The pad on the drill has no problem getting in that area.

Ive used heavy cut meguiars rubbing compound on every hull and never had the orange peel look. I usualy use the whole line of meguiars on mine starting with, heavy cut, medium cut, fine cut, swirl remover, then the yellow wax. It sounds like alot but id say the heavy cut takes the most time then each step after that it goes really quickly. Its definately worth the final product, just check my album photos. Oh yeah dont use heavy on the plastic areas tends to burn it.

As i can see you have no problem buffing them out, i was just replying to the guy saying the heavy may have caused it. Your doing a great job,
Another tip after you get the decals off i noticed you had some residue, easiest stuff ive found to remove it was aircraft decal and adhesive removal, literaly spray it on wait a couple seconds and then wipe it off. Then repeat if a little is left. The stuff is amazing

Also i made that handle bar pad. Its actually quite easy. The only fiberglass work was to fill in the hole where the choke cable goes and on the backside i put some fiberglass to hold it in place, as for the paint i guess you could just use spray paint but idk how that will look. I was thinking of making some of the covers and selling them in a kit with the new brackets, but it would require me buying a whole bunch of the covers and pads and the having to paint each one individualy to peoples needs as well as wrapping the pad in vinyl of there choice. I wouldnt know what to charge to not lose money and make it worth people buying them.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would call this a FULL resto lol
hah! Although I'm not rebuilding the motor, or repainting all the internals( exhaust, motor, etc).

If you want to buff the footpad area, i have a simple solution on how to do that read this,

http://www.seadooforum.com/showthread.php?48028-How-to-clean-your-sun-faded-hood-cover-w-pictures

The pad on the drill has no problem getting in that area.

Ive used heavy cut meguiars rubbing compound on every hull and never had the orange peel look. I usualy use the whole line of meguiars on mine starting with, heavy cut, medium cut, fine cut, swirl remover, then the yellow wax. It sounds like alot but id say the heavy cut takes the most time then each step after that it goes really quickly. Its definately worth the final product, just check my album photos. Oh yeah dont use heavy on the plastic areas tends to burn it.

As i can see you have no problem buffing them out, i was just replying to the guy saying the heavy may have caused it. Your doing a great job,
Another tip after you get the decals off i noticed you had some residue, easiest stuff ive found to remove it was aircraft decal and adhesive removal, literaly spray it on wait a couple seconds and then wipe it off. Then repeat if a little is left. The stuff is amazing

Also i made that handle bar pad. Its actually quite easy. The only fiberglass work was to fill in the hole where the choke cable goes and on the backside i put some fiberglass to hold it in place, as for the paint i guess you could just use spray paint but idk how that will look. I was thinking of making some of the covers and selling them in a kit with the new brackets, but it would require me buying a whole bunch of the covers and pads and the having to paint each one individualy to peoples needs as well as wrapping the pad in vinyl of there choice. I wouldnt know what to charge to not lose money and make it worth people buying them.

Yeah I have tiny buffer pads, but the bedliner type stuff in the footwells destroyed one in a matter of seconds. It didn't look any better, so I didn't see a need in destroying a bunch of buffer pads. I'll likely try some soft scrub in there. The residue actually just buffed right off easy like. I rubbed everything down where the graphics were with some acetone before I started to get much of it off. Then the small remaining amount was no challenge for the buffing.

Yeah I hear ya on the handlebar pads. It looked amazing. I think if you could find a way to keep it in the $150ish range they'd sell easy. Have no idea if that's possible. Cause really the next best thing is a UMI setup, and you're looking at spending close to $500 when all is said and done.

If there is anyway you could make $150 work. Lemme know. I'll be first in line. :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back