96 GTX resurrection - need help on remaining issue

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

GaryB1996

I am the original owner of 96 GTX with only 42 hours on it. After years of sitting on a lift on our weekend lake house dock, rarely used, it got to the point where it would no longer start. After we moved to this house full time a few years ago I took it to a local shop that estimated $2500 for repairs, about what it is worth. On their advice I instead I bought a low hour 2016 GTI SE 130. I later decided to try to resurrect the 96 GTX, which is cosmetically near perfect.

I cleaned the gas tank, rebuilt the carbs, checked the needle valve pop-off pressure to be in spec, replaced all of the fuel lines, fuel and oil filters, plugs, battery, gas gauge float, changed the oil in the jet pump cone, removed and cleaned the fuel valve, and set the oil pump cable alignment to the factory spec. It starts easily now and idles well. When I first drove it, it ran very well but the jet pump seemed to cavitate - the tach would readily hit redline but it was not going all that fast. I have not yet checked the intake grate but it was clean when I launched it.

The second time I took it out it ran the same for about a mile, readily hitting redline with not going very fast. However, then it got to where it intermittently went from not wanting to go above 5000 rpm, to then with heavy throttle opening it would burst up to redline for a few seconds but then bog back down below 5000. It never died but with the pump cavitation it was a pretty slow ride back to the dock, mostly staying below 5000 rpm. This seems like an intermittent electronic ignition issue to me, but I am seeking input from those more experienced than me. The plugs are almost brand new, but as a precaution I am running the fuel at 40:1 synthetic 2-stroke oil in addition to the oil injection, so maybe the plugs are loading up.

I am also seeking input on what to check on the apparent pump cavitation. When I pulled the jet pump cone to change the oil, I had mostly water come out, which was not a good sign. However, I did not see any metal shavings.

I have the factory service manual but hope some of you experts can point me in the right direction on what to check.

Thanks,
Gary

Is that a 787? I had a very similar condition if not gettying much past 5000 rpm with a 97 GSX 787, for me it was severely carboned rave valves.

If you haven't already download the maintenance manual and parts manual, its free online. For the cavitation I would inspect the wear ring and check it with a feeler guage, it might be worn out, also inspect the propeller for damage. As far as the bogging I would suggest you rebuild both carbs, they just don't do well after sitting for long periods of time. Use only OEM kits, OSD has good ones.

Thanks to both of you for your advice. I have not looked at the RAVE valves at all, so I will inspect them for carbon buildup. It appears that is a routine maintenance item anyway. I have the 96 and 97 shop manual downloads, and will check the wear ring.

I did rebuild both carbs - they were both pretty gunked up with green goo. However, I used aftermarket kits from Jetskiplusllc, who was recommended to me by a friend.

Thanks again.

Thanks to both of you for your advice. I have not looked at the RAVE valves at all, so I will inspect them for carbon buildup. It appears that is a routine maintenance item anyway. I have the 96 and 97 shop manual downloads, and will check the wear ring.

I did rebuild both carbs - they were both pretty gunked up with green goo. However, I used aftermarket kits from Jetskiplusllc, who was recommended to me by a friend.

Thanks again.

Thanks again.
I would redo the carbs with genuine Mikuni parts.

Start with Genuine Mikuni parts. You will just be doing it anyways when it runs like crap.

Back