A bed time story for you.. 99 GSX issues

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

kaspermm

Hello everyone.

I am writing this because of several reasons:

So that my experiences will not be lost and maybe some out there, other than me, can learn from them.

and besides that, I just need to ventilate and my girlfriend is sick of me talking about the Doo.

In the spring of 2012 I decided that now was the time for me to buy a PWC. - it had long been a dream of mine, but because of several reasons it had never been possible.

I am a student with 3 years left before I graduate. (Marine Engineering) and funds were an issue

-PWC's was illegal here in Denmark until 2010 - because of some law passed in the late 80's, when PWC's were booming, and people thought they were to noisy ect.

But now was the time, and the next question was, which PWC.

A brand new of a known make was out of the question since they cost more than 20.000$ (converted) here i Denmark.

I could import a brand new "Hison Seajet" from china for about 6.000$ - but they had a baaaaad rep.

so I decied that would go with a used one from a know make - eg. Seadoo.

I didn't know much about them and I was about to find out, that I should have done some more homework on the topic.

Found a Seadoo GSX-L 1999 with a newbuild engine, on an unregistered, non road legal trailer for 5.000$ (converted)

Engine was rebuild because the the ski had been sunk after a leaky VTS - they said that everything inside the engine was new, and the cylinders had been drilled to oversize by a professional company.

the seller was a auto mechanic and seamed very trustworthy. they had not run it since the rebuild only test started it.

it had 89 hours on the clock. it started fine, and rev'ed fine too.

bought it and took i home (across the country to my birth island of Bornholm) a trip of 400km (250 mil.)

Then I started doing the research on the ski (I know - should have done it before I bought it)

and learned all about the gray fuel line ect. - but I didn't mind, I like to work on stuff like this even though the lines are a pain to mount on the fuel baffle.

- Changed the lines
- cleaned the selector

but did not have the patience and courage to tackle the carbs just yet.

-While working on it, I soon discovered that the intake grate was missing, bolts broken off.
-Oil tank full of green outboard oil
-Serial no. plate missing
-one thread in exhaust manifold broken
-throttle cable - oil pump pice broken, and not pulling oil pump
-rear electrical box had takin water and everything inside was covered in rust.

Changed the oil, fixed the thread with Time Sert™ (very expensive here i Denmark, but did the job A+)

Got on the water for the first time, hoping to start the brake-in of the new build engine the same day.

Took in water from the holes of the missing serial no plate ( took me the whole day to locate the leak)

next day: on the water, starts fine but wont rev, totally boog's down. - but I could make it rev while mingling with the choke - therefore I thought it was a question of carb adjustment, and started doing so.

the next day, while on the water "adjusting" carbs and had to keep starting since i constantly killed it, it gave me a 12V low. - I thought that was ok, since I was using a lot of power to start it constantly. took it home charged the battery to the next day.

next day: after only a short time, got the 12v low again and could not start it, and had to paddle back to the dock. - still no progress on the "carb adjustments"

took it home started it up on the hose, and measured the charging voltage... there was none! - thought maybe I can live with out it, but first i would make it rev on water.

charged the battery - went on water again - after a shutdown, i wouldn't start again.
Starter spinning, but not engaging.

Called it a season, took the Seadoo to my dads shop, pulled the engine.

opened the MAG cover - looked inside what was a bloodbath of rust - stator wires completely rusted off.
bendix was shot, totally worn out.

Found a hole in the bottom end housing that had been welded (someone tried starting it after it had been sunk, without venting it??!:thumbsup:)

Then I ran out of time and it was the end of my summer holiday from school-

So this is where i am now. - back in my apartment in Copenhagen 100 km away from the island where the seadoo is.

Bought a new bendix, stator and a carb rebuild kit, since i might as well do i properly since i have all winter and the engine is pulled.

and i really hope the reason for it not to rev on water is a carb rebuild fix.

Still need to find out what to do with the intake grate.

but hey! what more can go wrong? (dont tell me) - when summer arrives I might have a seadoo that has been renovated from one end to the other, and now I know that everything is made properly. besides I have learned so much about this ski, that I feel like that I can fix everything my self.

If there is a point to this story, it must be: That this forum is an indispensable tool for - to-be owners of seadoo's as well as current owners.

I should have read a lot more before buying a ski, and you guys have helped me so, so much... and you didn't even know it! - until now.

My deepest thank you .

sounds like you are on the right track, just get it all back together with new or like new used parts. The engine front is sealed, so the bendix / stator should not have gotten wet, unless something rusted through, or morel likely, someone didn't put that front gasket on properly. It's a long rubber seal that can be a pain to get seated properly. Also check your electrical box in the back for water. Without a stator you'd have 12V Low all the time.

I wish you luck, I bring back 951 skis from the dead all the time. Taking the carbs off / apart isn't that hard, I'd clean / replace the filters in each, and verify the jets and needle settings. Also, used OEM sea-doo starters (or new) last 10+ years. The cheap knock offs... last one season or less...

I currently own 4 951 skis, a 5th 951 brand new engine, and am always looking for 951 skis to work on. it's my favorite engine.

I dont know if you still have it apart, but one big issue when you see a rusty mag housing is the crank. Rust builds up behind the flywheel and chews up the main seal. If you do not address it, the motor will not last long.

I have all sorts of used parts and ship worldwide. Let me know if I can help you with anything.

I'd suggest you don't trust this seller based on what you described above, i'd definitely inspect the Cyl's and see if the pistons and cyl walls look new, if they don't look very very new, then i'd be leery of the condition of the crank as well.

here in the US we have lots of places that fully rebuild engines w/warranties... do you have any places over there? For the price of a crank / pistons / etc, it comes close to getting one w/a warranty.

here in the US we have lots of places that fully rebuild engines w/warranties... do you have any places over there? For the price of a crank / pistons / etc, it comes close to getting one w/a warranty.

well according to the OP, it has both, but since the seller put a rusty mag on, and didn't replace fuel lines, then i'm very suspect of the condition of the engine itself.

To change the bendix it is necessary to remove the fly wheel. - the main seal was new and the part that I could see of the crank looked very new as well. - not much rust on the fly wheel, saw no danger of the seal being damaged.

I also looked in the cyl's and saw clear hooning marks - and compression was +150psi on both. - so think that what he told me that been done to the ski is true,

I just think that he didn't know much about it. what you think?
from the above description of what i have seen, and furthermore all gaskets look new.

Here are some pics from the MAG housing- - the red is after primer paint.

+ one of the engine after clean up + paint job in the bottom part. - painted the head bolts as well, they had no paint left, and I don't plan on taking it apart any time soon (hopefully)

we have only one official Seadoo dealer here i Denmark - and shops that work on ski are very rare maybe 3-4 i the whole country. - this is because as I told earlier, ski's were illegal until 2010.

this also means that the marked of used skis and parts is very small, and very expensive - as you can see from my purchase price on a 99 gsx of 5000$ - I assume you also think this is expensive for this ski in 2012.

But in the last 2 years - the marked has boomed, and I see more and more PWC's in the summer - but only new ones ofcourse.

it must be a good business opportunity to sell PWC's the next few years.

IMG_0593.jpgIMG_0525.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0718.jpg
    IMG_0718.jpg
    506.8 KB · Views: 17
Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting...a 99 in my area in good shape is worth ~$3000.

Sounds like water was the killer in the last rebuild and they didnt replace the stator.

check this out as a reference for the kind of market this is:

with 283 hours on the clock at 34.000 Dkk (5.800$) - this is a very normal price for this kind of ski.

http://www.dba.dk/vandscooter-seadoo-har-se/id-87210020/

if mine were as good as it was sold to be, it would be a very good deal - that why I bought it! :thumbsup:

it funny how prices differ. ( funny fact: our petrol is 8,79$ a gallon - converted)

i wish international shipping wasn't so high !!! lol
i've always wanted to start shipping ski's to Illinois or Wisconson, then I thought Australia, now i'm leaning towards Denmark lol.

that would be great -

though the shipping cost is not the largest expense; as soon as something is sent from outside the European Union (EU) - it gets nuked with 25% value-added tax and different kinds of duty fees. - this is to protect the european producers from cheep Chinese-(child) labor..

Don't know if you have the same system in the States?

But Denmark is a story of its own; 51% income tax of my paycheck every month - furthermore a car produced i Germany eg. an Audi or VW
gets 180% in tax if you want it registered in Denmark!

but hey! we got free health care, so that my neighbor, smoking 40 cigarets a day can have some new lungs to ruin, when the old ones stop working. - so until i get sick (very sick) its a baaad investment for me..

:cheers:

lol i wish, you can import anything here for pennies on the dollar...

iphone charger, with shipping, from china $0.99 USD.

iphoen case, with shipping $2.00 USD

I WISH we had a 20% import tax, it would bring jobs back to the USA. Every other country has this, but us. We are way too short sighted.

Hi, would it not be far cheaper to drive across to Germany or holland and buy a ski there , tow it back home and , oops forget to tell the tax man ?
In the uk import tax is 20 % but if you don't import it and buy it here in the uk then you pay vat tax , which is .... Yes you guessed it 20 % so as he says carefull what you wish for .

kaspermm,
Hi & welcome.

I voted by absentee ballot as I'm now on vacation (holiday as you probably call it) in Florida, USA..

Good luck

Hi, would it not be far cheaper to drive across to Germany or holland and buy a ski there , tow it back home and , oops forget to tell the tax man ?
In the uk import tax is 20 % but if you don't import it and buy it here in the uk then you pay vat tax , which is .... Yes you guessed it 20 % so as he says carefull what you wish for .

I was actually on my way to Germany to pick up a RDXI - but got cold feet last minute because of their bad rep.
but yes, i is possible to find cheaper skis around Europe especially around the Mediterranean sea. but thats a long way to drive, and the savings would not be worth it, I think.

some more:

I wonder why the cylinder is a different darker color than the rest (even before the paint) - look at the head to compare. -

Attachments

• IMG_0596.jpg
    IMG_0596.jpg
    584.9 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0598.jpg
    IMG_0598.jpg
    342.2 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0720.jpg
    IMG_0720.jpg
    501.2 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0721.jpg
    IMG_0721.jpg
    474.3 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0710.jpg
    IMG_0710.jpg
    601.7 KB · Views: 9
Last edited by a moderator:
I'm jealous of the red on that ski. I picked up my 99 GSX for about $500 (running!) but it was beat / faded... your red looks GREAT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back