Gti le rfi is acting up PLEASE HELP

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Hello, I have a 2004 seadoo gti le rfi last summer I purchased it with 178 hours on it it wouldn’t rev so I changed the spark plug wires then it ran fine at the end of the summer it acted up again and wouldn’t go above 1000 rpms on the water but it ran fine and idled out of the water so over the winter I did a top end rebuild all new gaskets I did the rotary valve after I found out it had bad grooves in it I replaced fuel pump fuel injectors fuel regulator and I started it up today and it idles at 4800 rpms and back fires really bad when I rev it so I took it up to the lake and it will not run or even start in the water it just cranks and cranks can anyone please help me

Are you sure you have the rotary valved timed correctly? If you are getting any oil into the throttle body the timing is off. From the way it is running I'd suspect that. Do you have all the plugs connected correctly. A couple are easy to swap. I'll get later when I have time.

Lots of oil in throttle body and there was some bad grooves in the cover I forgot to re install the o ring and I think the place was to tight and causing lots of issues

Are you sure you have the rotary valved timed correctly? If you are getting any oil into the throttle body the timing is off. From the way it is running I'd suspect that. Do you have all the plugs connected correctly. A couple are easy to swap. I'll get later when I have time.
the timing on these is set with the degree wheel and I watched a YouTube video so I’m hoping the plate was just to tight and I didn’t time it wrong

I have a video on Youtube setting the timing and it shows the details :D If you are getting oil in the intake at present the timing is off. You could have a bad brass gear on the rotary. With a new top end that ski should fire right up. Make sure you didn't swap the TPS plug with the Air Pressure Sensor. Both plugs are the same. You can also swap the PTO fuel injector plug with the plug for the rave solenoid.

Considering your current problem I'd removed the cover for the rotary valve gently and make sure the Rotary Valve stays in the exact position and I'd check the timing. The Brass Gear can be worn excessively and still have enough resistance to make you think it is good. Good Luck !

I have a video on Youtube setting the timing and it shows the details :D If you are getting oil in the intake at present the timing is off. You could have a bad brass gear on the rotary. With a new top end that ski should fire right up. Make sure you didn't swap the TPS plug with the Air Pressure Sensor. Both plugs are the same. You can also swap the PTO fuel injector plug with the plug for the rave solenoid.

Considering your current problem I'd removed the cover for the rotary valve gently and make sure the Rotary Valve stays in the exact position and I'd check the timing. The Brass Gear can be worn excessively and still have enough resistance to make you think it is good. Good Luck !
Yes I would really appreciate if you could send the link to the video and how can I tell if the brass gear is worn

787 RFI Rotary Valve Timing

I posted this about 3 years ago. I see a couple more people have posted the procedure. I have to laugh. My video is 1 minute and 23 seconds. I Don't BS around with all the fluff and boring crap. Ha ha. Good Luck !!

Back