1999 xp limited...... need advice

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nikkifresh04

I recently purchased a 1999 xp limited with about 100 hours on it.... I test drove it twice and everything seemed fine until after I bought it and tried to take it out it wouldnt work so I have not used it more than 10 mins! I had it looked at by a reputiable seadoo repair shop and was told a mount was broke and water was getting into the engine and that engine is no good. to replace it would cost basically what I paid for it. The shop I have it at onlly orders new engines from seadoo. After calling a few local places I was told I could rebuild the top half but due to the hours that would prob not last long.And the seller is trying to work with me and suggests buying a rebuilt engine compared to new, I am confused on what to do and dont want to spend more money on something if it is not worth it. Also from what I have researched there are no lemon laws on PWC but I am also open to any suggestions on recourse to selling me this seadoo with issues???? Please help!!!!

unfortunately its a "buyer beware" situation, if you bought a ski that's "as is" with no warranty implied, your pretty much the fukerbutted for lack of a better term. I guess a democrat might decide to pursue this but I don't think it will do any good.

however,i'm a bit confused... how is a broken motor mount ($10) going to bring water into the engine ?

have you tried just taking the plugs out and firing it up to clear the water out ? or did water come out ?

Lemon Laws only apply to buying a brand new car, not a 13 year old jet ski.

the advice given to you by the dealer is correct, their pricing + labor = more than the ski is worth.

However, a broken motor mount would not cause water to enter the engine, unless you broke the front one in which case, some damage may have occurred.

I'm not going to go into a long explanation, just ask one question:

Do you feel confident in your ability to replace the engine yourself?

if not, I suggest you sell the ski as is to someone like me (you are too far from me for me to pick it up).

or you part it out (I don't like this one as that ski could have another 10 years with a new engine).

If you feel that you could successfully remove and reinstall that engine, then we can set you up with the people who can get that done.

or if you can find a local mechanic who is willing to do it, that's an option as well.

You bought a 13 year old ski, you did the right thing by testing it, but even then, that doesn't mean it will last longer than the test ride. These engines average 250 hrs between rebuilds, or on average seasonal use, almost 10-12 years.

Replace engine yourself: approx $1,000 - $1,200 in cost

Someone else do it: 8 hours labor + above costs

Sell it as is, my personal offer w/trailer for a 99.. $500.00 (But unless you want to drive it to PA, I can't buy it).

yeah being a 951 your looking at 1200 for a motor from SBT, plus shipping, the installation gaskets, break in oil .........your looking at 1500 at least..........and thats to do it yourself..........these things are money pits........but worth it in the long run..........plus that motor has a 1 year warranty ...........you blow it ......you get another one no questions asked.

I would not be doing any of the work I would have to have a mechanic... the shop I currently have it at said $2400 for everything with warranty. so seems like a new would be best..
how much do you think it would be worth after the engine is replaced?
Is 2400 a good price for new? or any places in metro detroit area that anyone would suggest?

They are not giving you a new seadoo engine for $2400 installed. They are giving you a rebuilt one, like an sbt with a warranty. Ask them if the labor is covered by the warranty where they are getting their motor from and I'll guarantee it's not from seadoo direct.

I'm 2 1/2 hours south of Detroit and typically do complete 951 rebuilds for $1900. I prefer to rebuild them myself but am an sbt dealer.

I would make sure that you really need a new engine first. Too many shops tell you that just because they want to make as much money as possible. The mount that this shop told you was broken is the exhaust mount I'm sure(typical 951 problem) and it will ingest water from this. However, this doesn't always cause the motor to be ruined. They should tell you what the compression is first and show you the heavy piston scoring if they have it tore down.

Another option, I buy nice clean 99xps that needs rebuilt with trailer and cover for $700.

After the new engine is installed, it is still only going to be worth $2500 max with trailer and cover. So, most people are better off by selling it broken and cutting their losses.

I agree with ski-d00. if he's willing to go to $700, that's a fair price.

Running, for a 99, I'd wager $2,000 to $2500 if it's in PERFECT shape. I picked up my 02 XP for $2800 with a 2009 trailer... back in 09. Trailer was $900 and only 3 months old! (trailer + ski was $2800).

I use Sea-doo engine shop out of PA, they are less $ than SBT, but have a longer turn around time.

Unless you get SBT to ship first (which they do offer that service), I'm not sure you will be back on the water this season...

What's the compression on the engine? have you water tested it? Just go take it for a spin, if it runs, run it!

Since the best plan of action is replacing the whole engine, running it till it blows won't make a difference for the rebuild price anyway. 10 min on the water will tell you more than any dealer test as well...

Thank you for all your help and quick responses you guys are great!

ski-doo you are right I called back it is rebuilt they said it comes from seadoo and talked down on SBT which I expected since they want my business but to me rebuilt sounds the same anywhere you get it from but as you can tell Im new to this. I dont know the compression but I will find out it wont start so I cant drive it at all. Has anyone ever had problems with SBT engines?

seadoo buddy- I am in st. clair shores

Everyone's had problems with every company, I've heard rumors, but won't repeat them since I don't have facts.
I have run 3 engines though SES and each has come back in perfect condition. spinning 7k WOT.
They were cheaper and thus the route for me, they have 1 and 2 year warranty choices as well.

SBT offers 1 and 2 years, I thought someone also had a 3 year on theirs.

Usually if a problem is going to occur it's within the first season.

Make sure when the engine is out you replace all the fuel lines if they are the grey ones, as well as have someone go over the carbs and clean them out. replace your jet pump oil as well and clean the RAVEs.

The idea here is to get this 13 year old ski looking and feeling brand new. CLEAN, CLEAN, CLEAN. it's amazing what you find broken or missing, etc when you really get in there and go over everything.

I'd also suggest replacing the 13 year old oil lines and fuel pump accelerator lines. $5.00 in hoses will save you lots of stress down the road.
Ohh, replace the oil filter too. I get most of my stuff at OSDParts.com

use discount05 or 10 in the checkout!

I actually have an engine out w/them at the moment as well. when I get it back I plan to make a video of how to turn a rebuilt engine short block into a long block.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back