1999 XP Limited 951 VTS issue and no beep, no start - Carburetor rebuilt

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

Aaronjpenrose

On my 1999 XP Limited 951, I had an issue running it past 2000 RPM. It was hard to start, but idled well, and could cruise on low RPMs. I suspected dirty carburetors and rebuilt them with genuine mikuni parts.

The Hi speed jet adjustment screw was all the way tight for both... so I backed it off, finished my rebuild, and put the carburetor back on the ski. Now, the key no longer beeps when put onto the ignition. It seemed to do one crank for a split second, but the engine did not start, and will no longer crank at all. I did not prime the lines before attempting a start.

The VTS gauge quickly goes to max when you connect the key. If you remove the key, the guage will fall back.

I'm unsure how the carburetor would affect the beep when you put the key in, and I have no idea what the VTS has to do with any of this.

Ideas are appreciated.
Thank you,
- Aaron

I have a stupid question. Are the battery cables tight and the battery good? A battery that can move a VTS gauge may not have enough power to crank an engine. Pull the plugs and see if it cranks then. The problem MAY not be related to the carb OH.

Even stupider answer. The battery was dead, my girlfriends uncle failed to tell me he drained the battery on a different project. Thanks for your suggestion, we have it running fine now.

Back