What is your tow rig?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is mine, 1990 F250 XLT Larait 460 auto with OD. Fully loaded was a Red-N-Kamp Conversion truck. Had 69,000 original miles when I purchased it 4 years ago needed restoration because it sat for over 10 years (that's why the miles were low). I restored it 4 years ago and it has about 91,000 miles now. First pics are when I got, then the after resto pics, and then with my boat I used to tow, but now this is just used to pull the Seadoos and Home Depot runs because my new boat is too big to tow.

Attachments

• DSC02720.JPG
    DSC02720.JPG
    162.8 KB · Views: 23
  • DSC02722.JPG
    DSC02722.JPG
    164.3 KB · Views: 25
  • DSC02926.JPG
    DSC02926.JPG
    165 KB · Views: 26
  • DSC02928.JPG
    DSC02928.JPG
    165 KB · Views: 26
  • DSC02938.JPG
    DSC02938.JPG
    165.4 KB · Views: 25
  • DSC02941.JPG
    DSC02941.JPG
    164 KB · Views: 26
Emspjay, that is a great looking truck. I would buy a late 80's or early 90's in a heartbeat if I could find one around here in decent shape. Everyone keeps those truck's and run them like crazy. They are bullet proof

Only picture I could find. Out loading some wood to cut for firewood.
8cff0b6d4b67a004d8ea0f853cbeca04.jpg

Only picture I could find. Out loading some wood to cut for firewood.
8cff0b6d4b67a004d8ea0f853cbeca04.jpg
Thank you! And that's a great looking truck!! I had a 2008 F150 Limited for a few years got sick of the $800 payment, went to a 2011 1500 Ram it was a POS and still a $500 payment. Got sick of the payments and I wanted a 3/4 ton so I started looking for an older truck to restore, always loved the OBS Fords. So after searching for about a year I got then one I have now. I found it when I was stationed in VA so really not rusty but then I transferred to MI in 2015 so I have been storing it every winter here in MI. I plan on keeping it for a long time! New trucks are so expensive! I lease a Chrysler 300 for $200 a month for daily driver, I can deal with that payment and who cares if it rusts because it is under warranty the whole time I have it. I drive the F250 almost everyday in the summer, I love it. When it is time for it to go I will just restore another one but this time I want a crew cab.

Anyone ever had issues with FWD cars on boat ramps? My 13 Fusion is up near 175k miles so i'm looking at replacing it and i'm intending to tow with my new car as well. debating between another FWD or AWD this time. AWD is nice but not sure i need it. have launched and retrieved with my fusion probably 30 times without issues.

Anyone ever had issues with FWD cars on boat ramps? My 13 Fusion is up near 175k miles so i'm looking at replacing it and i'm intending to tow with my new car as well. debating between another FWD or AWD this time. AWD is nice but not sure i need it. have launched and retrieved with my fusion probably 30 times without issues.
I used to tow with a Honda Accord, never an issue.

Back in the day I towed with my 1995 Cutlass convertible, only problem I ever had was if the ramp angle was not very steep my back tires would be in the water and exhaust would be underwater. Not a problem with FWD and engine still would run, water would not choke it out. Got many funny looks at that ramp. But could not beat driving top down with the ski it tow on a great summer day!

Back in the day I towed with my 1995 Cutlass convertible, only problem I ever had was if the ramp angle was not very steep my back tires would be in the water and exhaust would be underwater. Not a problem with FWD and engine still would run, water would not choke it out. Got many funny looks at that ramp. But could not beat driving top down with the ski it tow on a great summer day!

that would be a sight! i run 255/35/20 in the summer so i'm probably all set in traction. i can't even feel my superjet standup back there, the RX does alright. when i get the GTR it'll be right at about 1000lbs including trailer. 3400lb car. still thinking it'll be ok.

There is only 1 ramp I've come across that gave me any issue towing my two skis up: that was at the Upper Barton's Creek public ramp on Falls Lake in NC. I saw FWD SUVs have issues there as well. Something about that one particular ramp. That same car (04 TDI Jetta) had no issues anywhere else, including towing the 1997 Seadoo Challenger with a 4tec and full of fuel. Sometimes it'd spin tires a little, but nothing that made me worry that I wouldn't be able to get the boat out. I now do this with a 2011 TDI jetta, and it's a significant improvement. Eventually I'll get a real SUV for towing, but only after I get a larger boat that's too heavy for the Jettas.

Haven't seen anything like this yet, my tow rig is a lifted Subaru crosstrek 5 speed manual. Not quite the most powerful tow rig but at least it looks good towing the seadoos.IMG_2647.JPGIMG_2137.JPG

2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek. Pulls the boat like a champ, was a little winded with it loaded down for a week long camp trip. The ol 2.0 with CVT is stronger than you think it would be. Snatched the boat out of the water and up the ramp with ease.
View attachment 24676View attachment 24677
I stand corrected, looks like someone else knows what's up! I like the light set up, mine is very similar along with the rack. Should've gone with the manual though as it's much easier to tow with. It'll sit much better with a lift kit! IMG_2647.JPGIMG_1731.JPG

There is only 1 ramp I've come across that gave me any issue towing my two skis up: that was at the Upper Barton's Creek public ramp on Falls Lake in NC. I saw FWD SUVs have issues there as well. Something about that one particular ramp. That same car (04 TDI Jetta) had no issues anywhere else, including towing the 1997 Seadoo Challenger with a 4tec and full of fuel. Sometimes it'd spin tires a little, but nothing that made me worry that I wouldn't be able to get the boat out. I now do this with a 2011 TDI jetta, and it's a significant improvement. Eventually I'll get a real SUV for towing, but only after I get a larger boat that's too heavy for the Jettas.

It's cause that ramp is steep as shit! I've seen full size trucks have issues with even smaller boats. It's crazy steep and always soaking wet with all the traffic it sees.

It's cause that ramp is steep as shit! I've seen full size trucks have issues with even smaller boats. It's crazy steep and always soaking wet with all the traffic it sees.
I still miss it like crazy :( I miss the NC Lake Life. Out here on the South FL ocean/intercoastal is just not the same. Too many slow speed zones, hardly any free ramps, and if they are free, you're stuck going 5mph for an hour to get anywhere :( I'm thinking of taking my Challenger back up to NC and leaving it at my folks' place. I feel like that's where it belongs. It's always so rough out here, beats us up too much.

I still miss it like crazy :( I miss the NC Lake Life. Out here on the South FL ocean/intercoastal is just not the same. Too many slow speed zones, hardly any free ramps, and if they are free, you're stuck going 5mph for an hour to get anywhere :( I'm thinking of taking my Challenger back up to NC and leaving it at my folks' place. I feel like that's where it belongs. It's always so rough out here, beats us up too much.
You can always come back. :)

I want to, but I'd need a better reason than just to go ride out there. It'll cost at least $250 in fuel round-trip. As for returning to live there, that ship has sailed when I sold my NC home and bought a FL home. I'd have to leave the wife here. Unless I want to go way north, the closest lake to me makes Harris look like huge. Okechoobee doesn't even count as it's the most useless lake for skis. Any wind generates 4' waves that try to kill you. There are hardly any people on there, and you can't see the other shore. And you can't even get close to shore as it's completely surrounded by a quarter mile of reedy shallows, and the water looks like tea after leaving the bag in too long. Not kidding! I'm left with the inter-coastal and the Atlantic :(

I want to, but I'd need a better reason than just to go ride out there. It'll cost at least $250 in fuel round-trip. As for returning to live there, that ship has sailed when I sold my NC home and bought a FL home. I'd have to leave the wife here. Unless I want to go way north, the closest lake to me makes Harris look like huge. Okechoobee doesn't even count as it's the most useless lake for skis. Any wind generates 4' waves that try to kill you. There are hardly any people on there, and you can't see the other shore. And you can't even get close to shore as it's completely surrounded by a quarter mile of reedy shallows, and the water looks like tea after leaving the bag in too long. Not kidding! I'm left with the inter-coastal and the Atlantic :(
So the grass is always greener on the other side, eh? Was thinking you were going to the promised land with all the riding and clear water, but if it's so rough you can't really ride there's not much there.

So the grass is always greener on the other side, eh? Was thinking you were going to the promised land with all the riding and clear water, but if it's so rough you can't really ride there's not much there.
I was so excited at first too, until I came across the 3rd consecutive "Slow Speed - Minimum Wake" sign and realized the entire inter-coastal here is one giant SLOW ZONE where cops make money on people trying to stay cool. Inter-coastal in NC was 1000x better. NC is the promised land. I knew it when I was leaving too, but had to do it for the wife. They call this place the "Boat Capital" but that secretly excludes any boat smaller than 20'. Oh, and good luck finding a house where the HOA allows you to keep a boat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back