RESTO 94 gtx 657x resto

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

jambo79

Hey all, I'd like to post My newby Seadoo project to all of you..first off, I'd like to thank everyone thats helped me answer some of My questions along the way, you guys have been awesome in helping Me decript some of the mysteries involved with this ski. This seadoo i bought back in febuary from a guy locally, i can tell ya it looked like it was pulled out of swamp, but i decided to take a chance on her anyway. I paid the man his money then towed it out of his backyard where it sat, seemingly rotting away. So, anyhow.. here are some pics of My progress so far, ( more pics to come ) hope you enjoy it and thanks again
150.jpg
151.jpg
152.jpg
153.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Pulled the engine.. took it the local car wash with a bottle of Purple Power and degreased the hell out of it
154.jpg
155.jpg

Sanded and wire brushed the motor as much as I could then bought a can of VHT gold metallic engine enamel.. 3 coats, then 3 coats of clear enamel.
156.jpg

Woah, thing is going to shine like a diamond. Did you make sure it ran first?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Couldn't get the exhaust manifold off so I lefted it attacted..o well, I chose Chevy orange engine paint for the pipes only because it was in sale at the time. Also applied a hearty coat of clear to these as well.
157.jpg
158.jpg

Finished the painting portion of this motor, the first word that came out of my buddy's mouth when he saw it was "Iron Man!". Haha, it was completely unintended, but I'll roll with it!
159.jpg

Woah, thing is going to shine like a diamond. Did you make sure it ran first?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It didnt run when i bought it.. took forever to figure out what was wrong with it. I discovered it was electrical, so instead of chasing the problem I replaced the entire brainbox and wiring harness, a friend of mine gave me huge deal on his which came off his 96 SPX he was parting out.. problem solved [emoji122] [emoji106]

I'm not sure if those box's are compatible. The 96spx was a 720. You have a 657x. [MENTION=51824]Matt Braley[/MENTION] would know for sure

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I'm not sure if those box's are compatible. The 96spx was a 720. You have a 657x. [MENTION=51824]Matt Braley[/MENTION] would know for sure

Oh yeah, it works. It looks as if the previous owner may have changed the stater from a 5 wire to a 4 wire ( I dont think 657's came with a 4 wire staters during that time ) the new box is a 4 wire setup so it hooked up to the motor just fine..cranks over from the buttons, most i did to "run" it was I added a splash of premix into the motor and it fired right up, until it burned off the fuel I squirted into it. I got lucky with this motor, cylinder walls, piston heads are smooth as silk, stater looks near new, i didnt feel it needed a rebuild. Im working on a tight budget so if it ain't broke dont fix it. Im just replacing whatever needs to be replaced. So far this ski is been good to me (and my wallet) during this project.

I trying to search for a complete set of OEM decals is like trying to look for Jimmy Hoffa's body however, I did score an original "GTX" logo that was meant for the hood. I placed it on the stern instead. It's my favorite piece.
169.jpg
170.jpg
171.jpg

On to the hood, put the wifes hair dryer and a plastic scraper to the old decals and pin stripping and sanded. I originally went with a silver color, but i just wanted to go bolder. 3 coats of gloss apple red and 3 coats of high gloss clear. Also plasti dipped the chin pads red. IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160114/012b0d5c182f35e0de4e8a011c7e0386.jpg[/IMG]
175.jpg
176.jpg
177.jpg

Look on ebay I saw alot on there the other night they were for gtx and gts

On to the hood, put the wifes hair dryer and a plastic scraper to the old decals and pin stripping and sanded. I originally went with a silver color, but i just wanted to go bolder. 3 coats of gloss apple red and 3 coats of high gloss clear. Also plasti dipped the chin pads red. IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160114/012b0d5c182f35e0de4e8a011c7e0386.jpg[/IMG]
175.jpg
176.jpg
177.jpg

Also painted that ugly yellow stripe on the bow, used Rustoleum 2X gloss white

Looks like you are missing some rub rail/front bumper to me

95 XP800!!!
Keep the 2 strokes alive!
Yup, i have the front bumper with me in my garage still, I've been busy with everything else that i haven't had the chance to do it yet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back