So, what do You plan on doing to your new Spark?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Lol I don't know but don't care lol. I'll just claim insurance on it if that happens. As I'm covered

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been keeping my eyes open, and the upgrades are now starting to hit the streets for the Spark. Seeing as this one is my first, I need a little help with the justification of adding any particular perf upgrade. Here are a few that I saw, and was in need of some help with the what, why, and why so much? Most of the parts listed will have the same questions, with a couple that are specific to the part.

1-Sea Doo Spark RIVA Pro Series Waterbox $399.95 What exactly does it do to the perf output, in terms of %? Will it make the ski obnoxiously loud? What am I giving up for the perf improvement, and if it is better, why didn't Seadoo design it this way from the factory? Cost? Noise?

2-Sea-Doo Spark R&D Sponson Kit $299.95 I pretty much understand the thought behind this one, I just can't understand the price. I know that the factory ones are not adjustable, which makes no sense to me, and these are which is great, but $300 for a couple pieces of molded plastic with some screws holding it together? I am trying hard to see the value proposition in this one. I know it would be better than stock, but I'd think in a cost plus style of mfg, they would maybe be in the $100 range? Or is this just the way it is when it comes to pricing for parts/accessories for PWC's? Remember, I'm new to this.

3-Sea-Doo Spark Rear Exit Exhaust Kit (2Up only) $299.95 Again, this one makes sense to me, but how will it effect the sound, and do you need to make a lot of other mods (intake for example) to get your moneys worth out of it?

4-Sea-Doo Spark R&D Adjustable Anti-Cavitation Pump Cone $298.95 After reading about it, seems to make sense, but on a non-turbo'ed, non-flashed 90hp unit, would it be worthwhile to do this? Also, if this is better than what it comes with currently, why didn't the mfg put it on from the factory? Cost, perf tradeoffs, reliability tradeoffs?

5-Sea-Doo Spark 12/17 Variable Pitch Impeller $249.95 Again after reading the description, it seems to make sense, but the same questions remain as in #4 above.

6-Sea-Doo Spark R&D Intake Grate $249.95 How does this do what it says it does in the description, and if it is that much better than one from the OEM, why wouldn't a multi-billion $ company with all this R&D available to it, just design it that way from the factory? I wouldn't think it would add That much to the price compared to the current factory one? Other than maybe cost, are there any other tradeoffs?

7-Sea-Doo Spark R&D Filter Kit $199.95 Less restrictive, I get that, but again, there must be a reason the factory didn't just design it this way from the get go. More chance of getting water in the intake? No idea, just trying to understand the downsides to using it.

Thanks for throwing out answers to my questions, they are all serious ones, I am not trying to troll at all. I just want to learn as much as I can about the upsides, downsides, (as well as if you should do upgrade A, B and D at the same time if you really want to get your moneys worth, because just doing B wouldn't make a big diff, that kind of thing) and reasons why as best as we can guess, because I seriously doubt someone from the Spark design team will come on here and give any definitive answers as to the whys, so you guys are the next best thing! Lastly, it seems that any hardware type of upgrade for the machine is always going to be in the $250-350 range, if not more. Is this pretty consistent for this type of toy? Thanks!

Oh, and one final thing. Will adding any/all of these void my factory warranty?

Last edited by a moderator:
Good review dude. Well done. On the fb page over the weekend there was some monkey selling aluminum cut sponsons with 9 holes drilled in them and he was asking like almost 300 for the pair. I was SHOCKED when I saw this and became worried IS THIS THE FUTURE OF SPARK ACCESSORIES. After I aired my truthful opinion I see the post was quickly removed by this noob. Anyhow back on subject at hand. I agree with your thoughts but also want to note the GENUINE SEADOO BUMPER KIT is CRAP 1 peeled off yesterday in the surf and I'm VERY DISGUSTED in this bring a OEM item

The Main problem with the Spark seems to be that even 4-500 RPM,s is Not doing much because of the stock intake grate??
When I see Substantiated numbers on a New and Improved intake grate or other Mod I might bite BUT right Now I don,t see any proof of anything worth my $$$?

Good review dude. Well done. On the fb page over the weekend there was some monkey selling aluminum cut sponsons with 9 holes drilled in them and he was asking like almost 300 for the pair. I was SHOCKED when I saw this and became worried IS THIS THE FUTURE OF SPARK ACCESSORIES. After I aired my truthful opinion I see the post was quickly removed by this noob. Anyhow back on subject at hand. I agree with your thoughts but also want to note the GENUINE SEADOO BUMPER KIT is CRAP 1 peeled off yesterday in the surf and I'm VERY DISGUSTED in this bring a OEM item

Thanks, being new to this, I really would like some honest answers, because I truly don't know, and have learned over the years to question marketing hype, because money sure doesn't grow on trees. As I said, I am not trying to be a troll, just would like to understand, because some of the prices are shocking to someone who hasn't been buying parts like these before, and want to know if they provide that level of value. If so, Great, I'll start saving up! (but if so, still trying to understand why mfg wouldn't just "do it right" in the 1st place.. Grrr) Also, would I be correct in presuming from your description of the bumper kit, that it is just held on with double stick tape, no physical fasteners at all? If so, that seems kind of surprising in a marine environment... :confused:

I have two 90hp H.O. 2ups and I also have a 1998 Sea-Doo GTX Limited. The comparison is unreal. I love the towing ability of my GTX as opposed to the sparks. I love how I can throw the spark around with no effort at all. As for the comment about the "boggy while trying to hole shot or throttle out of a stunt quick" I do not have this issue in either spark as long as they are in sport mode. That being said, you may need to have your ski looked at. It may be a defect. Like I said before I own the bigger glass ski and now own the sparks and I love them both for they're own reasons. I did notice the difference between the 2 sparks the way I broke mine in opposed to how my wife broke hers in. I rode mine hard and in long bursts. My wife broke it in on what I call "GRANNY MODE". She got of hers and rode mine after I broke mine in and she said mine had so my more power. So I took her ski and threw it around for awhile and now both skis have pretty much matched in power and acceleration. I would suggest the spark to anyone that I know.

Anyone have any thoughts to the questions I posted in post #77? I'd really like to know. Maybe it's because they are so new, but they are similar to parts for other PWCs, so I thought that I might get some general answers at least till people actually add these parts to their Sparks and can relate personal experiences with them at that time.

Anyone have any thoughts to the questions I posted in post #77? I'd really like to know. Maybe it's because they are so new, but they are similar to parts for other PWCs, so I thought that I might get some general answers at least till people actually add these parts to their Sparks and can relate personal experiences with them at that time.
They ALL seem to make sense don,t they? BUT I don,t have $2,000 dollars as I,m scrimping to Pay the Spark off by Christmas!
Take it from someone who has had 14 Sea Doo,s and a Wave Blaster- Leave it alone for a few months a see what people who purchase the Mods post about them??
Taking the stock restrictive flame arrestor out is a sure gain for No Cost except I,m not taking the top off till fall so it will have to wait. For the Summer I,m going to ride it and enjoy it!!!

Just got two of the three up 90hp HO, added step, convenience package and IBR. One Pineapple and one gray. We will put them in the water tomorrow. Break in for the first few hours and then let em rip.

Just got two of the three up 90hp HO, added step, convenience package and IBR. One Pineapple and one gray. We will put them in the water tomorrow. Break in for the first few hours and then let em rip.
So you added the IBR yourself? This is the first time I've heard about someone doing this themselves, how did it go? Was it a nightmare? Have fun with the new toys tomorrow, I'm jealous!

So you added the IBR yourself? This is the first time I've heard about someone doing this themselves, how did it go? Was it a nightmare? Have fun with the new toys tomorrow, I'm jealous!

Sorry to sound mis-leading. I had the dealer add this to units he had in stock.

Ahh, gotcha. No worries, I've occasionally heard people mention adding it to their non-IBR Spark, but never heard of anyone actually doing it. You may have been the 1st, but I think it was probably a good idea letting them do it, if there are any warranty issues, it's on their shoulders. Thanks for the clarification.

Everything for these things are expensive, wait until warranty is expired and you take it in to the shop for parts and labor. Lube up before you go lol! Sticker shock is common for aftermarket parts for these, small gains cost big money.

I have either on my bench or en route, set to arrive mid next week:

Vtech 109hp Tune + Maptuner
Riva Water Box
Riva Rear Exhuast Kit
RD Power Intake Filter
RD Intake Grate
RD Sponsons
RD Pump Seal Kit
Skat Track Stainless Wear Ring
Skat Track Vtech Tuned Propeller
Hydroturf Mat Kit
Sea Doo Bilge
Sea Doo Convenience w/step

I can't wait to test it all out! however, having an issue right now with 1.75 hours on clock. Upon hard landings I got an engine fault code, and the next set I got a blown 15 amp BATT fuse. I took it to the dealership and they said computer didn't have code, and everything looks good from side panel. They didn't have the time to take top off and check things out apparently......So I went and got them the hell out of there...

I will be reporting back once things are all good to go.

I've done:

Graphics kit
Foot pads
Dock bumpers
Side protectors

Plan:
Depth finder
Engine mods (after warranty expires)
Few other odds and ends

Everything for these things are expensive, wait until warranty is expired and you take it in to the shop for parts and labor. Lube up before you go lol! Sticker shock is common for aftermarket parts for these, small gains cost big money.
So I've seen...

I will be reporting back once things are all good to go.

So SB, any new news on your rig? Get the code/fuse issue worked out yet? Find a dealer that actually would Want to take care of you? So maybe they'd actually be able to earn your business next time you're in the market for a new ski? Especially with the internet these days, how do bozo dealerships like yours stay in business? You'd think that word would travel fairly fast, and hit them in their bottom line. That is of course if they aren't the only dealer in a 100+ mile radius, that would make things difficult.

Well I have fitted the bumper strips wich are SHIT. iv lost 1 already.

Also fitted the reverse gear
Front storage unit
Rear conv step
And a new wear ring.

My next mods over the next month or toe are

The new Solas impeller pending reports on performance on the 90ho 2 up

Hydro turf kit incl thigh and knee sidewalk padding

Air Intake kit

Seat cover.

subscribed because i'm curious myself on real world opinions on everything you listed.

One thing I will add, is the high cost of mods is not unique to the spark, or isolated to just SD products, most mods on most newer models can and will be quite pricey, (at least by my standards). I have a buddy that did minor mods to his RXP two weeks ago and he dropped $600 in the process. The result was a ski that picked up maybe 3mph and gets better fuel economy, ie: $600 = improvements, but not dramatic ones. Another fellow rider that dinged up his prop last Sunday ended up dropping $2,000 in mods in the process of repair, he just wasn't willing to leave with nothing more than a prop replacement, this guy now has nearly 10K in mods (parts + labor) which is more than I have invested in my two ski's on a trailer :)

On top of that the Spark is a brand new model so you could/should expect not only another 10-20% tacked on top, but also some mods that don't make enough of a difference to warrant the expense. Also you have the dilemma of not wanting to be the guinea pig.

So unless your what i'd call a Power user, dying to make mods and have money to burn, I'd recommend taking a step back,be patient, and get multiple opinions from more than one user as to what they think about each mod, and what mods should be done together to get the best results. As I mentioned, i'm curious because I'd really like to get one of these next year to replace my loaner ski, and i'd like to know ahead of time what improvements make the most sense.

Sounds nice, been in the water with it yet? How does it compare before/after? Feel it was $ well spent?

Just so you guys know, we now have the VTech tunes in stock....109 HP :thumbsup:

At this point, all I can say is Wow. I called my dealer for an update on when the Spark I should have seen in early May at the latest would be coming in, and was told that the final shipment of Sparks made this model year left the factory yesterday, and should be in next week. He also told me (which I find amazing that is has never happened before) that for the first time ever, BRP restarted the production line after it had been shut down to make more. I basically said, Well, Duh.., then asked him if they then planned to run production for a while, couple shifts a day, to keep up with demand, and he said No, Nope, they only ran it again to get the ones that had been ordered and promised for this year out the door. I am happy that I am getting mine, for sure, but..

So, basically, if you see any ads on TV for them, you can pretty much presume that they are advertising the 2015 models, which would be available in Oct-Nov. Not much chance of finding any selection out there, only the odd 60 hp pink models from the scuttlebutt I've heard.

My only concern is that they put mine together with whatever leftover bits and pieces they had laying around after production ended, I really don't have a great feeling about this. Plus the fact that our short summer is now 1/3 over... Kinda a bummer, actually.

*Sigh*

Got the happy call from the dealer today, it arrived ahead of schedule, he said it should be prepped and ready to go Thursday. Yay for me! While I was talking to him, he mentioned that I should plan on about 30-45 mins, to go over things with me. I asked him if the going over included a how to on pulling the top off, and he said no one had ever asked about that, but he didn't see any reason they couldn't arrange for that to be part of the initial walk through. Has anyone else had the dealer do this when they picked up their new Sparks? I thought it would be nice to see someone who may have done it a few times by now (due to the recalls) and could hopefully show me a trick or 2, especially since I am brand new to the whole PWC deal. At least I'll have it for the 4th weekend, will be mostly breaking it in, but will be fun none the less!

Back