So, what do You plan on doing to your new Spark?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

alha

As I am soon to be the proud owner of the 1st Reasonably priced, Fun* PWC to be produced in quite a long time, I'm curious as to what mods people plan on doing to their new toys? While I was at the Boat Show this winter, I spent quite a bit of time talking with the dealer, discussing this new turn of events in the PWC world. He and I had a bit of a difference in outlook for this product. He saw it as an entry point for people to get into the sport, which I suppose is true, but I saw it differently. I see this potentially more as an early Mustang, like the 1964/5 Holman & Moody prepared 427-powered Mustangs for drag racing, or maybe the '65 GT 350 R, the race version of the Shelby GT 350. You looked at the 1964 1/2 Mustangs, I mean at least some came with a six-cylinder, 101 hp 170 cu in engine. Of course, as the years went on, they got bigger.. Engines, bodies, etc, but the orig ones, they had Potential. (Even though many (if not most) of the interior, chassis, suspension, and drive train components were derived from those used on Ford's Falcon and Fairlane). Shelby saw it, and look what he did with the cars.

That's what I see when I first looked closely at the Spark, something that has potential. Now, of course as a new PWC owner, and knowing a bit about their reputation thanks to a bro-in-law having had a few of them over the last 6-8 years, I Really appreciate having the extended factory warranty on it when things break. Which takes me to my dilemma. I would Love to have that turbo, new SS impeller and other pump parts, etc, but I also want to keep my warranty (not to mention the $ in my wallet), so those are out for the foreseeable future. There is the ECU tuning that can be done, which _shouldn't_ void my warranty, but other than that, are there any rumors floating around in the ether about other perf parts? Preferably ones which won't void said warranty? I expect things like graphics and such to be released fairly soon, but I am interested in, well... this is what came to mind sitting on it at the show in Jan:

Gentlemen, we can rebuild him. We have the technology. We have the capability to build the world's first bionic man. Steve Austin will be that man. Better than he was before. Better, stronger, faster

LOL well, there ya go. That is my long term goal with this. I know much will have to wait till the warranty runs out, but in the mean time, what are everyone else's plans? Does anyone else here think along the same lines as I am, or am I like the dealer said, one of the 5% and under crowd for this craft, and the other 95% will just be low budget putter boaters? I have to believe there are more people thinking like me for the Spark than that. Or not? Regardless, I can't wait to get it, it's going to be a hoot, from everything I've seen!

*Fun, as in 1990's fun. Afore mentioned bro-inlaw had a '97 GSX or something, along with his '10 PWC Seadoo 'yacht'. I took them both out the 1st day of vacation, and never drove the newer one again over the whole week. The older one was So much funner to drive, maybe because I've been riding motorcycles since I was 10, but to me there really wasn't any comparison in the fun factor between the 2. One was a Boat, the other wasn't. Just my .02

I was just searching eBay for Seadoo related parts. I saw a direct bolt on "quick tie system" for the Spark.

That is something I would own. I love the convenience of self retracting boat lines..

We'll.. As soon as money permits I'm doing the vtech tune to 109hp..

Please do me a favor once you do the upgrade, and post here how it went, and if you encountered any issues with the process. Other than buying a ton of the options, like Coastiejoe mentioned for instance, (plus bumpers, sump pump, depth finder, etc), I can't see me doing much in terms of perf improvements other than the tune like you mentioned. That's kind of why I started this thread, to see what others are doing, and to maybe find a hidden gem of an upgrade someone else is doing, that I may have missed, being so new to the sport.

There's lots of parts on the horizon... Sponsons, intake grate, billet adjustable steering, etc.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Having never owned a pwc before I bought 2 (one for the wife) I plan on riding them like a mad man this summer (if summer ever gets here, got 5 inches of snow today) hopefully we'll get at least 4 months ; )

Having never owned a pwc before I bought 2 (one for the wife) I plan on riding them like a mad man this summer (if summer ever gets here, got 5 inches of snow today) hopefully we'll get at least 4 months ; )

You summer sounds much like mine,,, MAYBE 4 good months...
Congrats on the purchase, hope you have a great summer..

Yeah, no kidding, we just got EIGHT inches of snow yesterday. Gaaaa! But, looking at the weather channel, it looks like it's going from highs in the 50s to around 70! by the middle of the week! Take That, snow! ;)

Well my ski arrives today all prepped and ready.

I have the 90HO 2up after reading articles I'm too scared to do the HP upgrade just yet.
Iv ordered the bumper kit, the step, the glovebox and trying to source the IBR system but keep getting told I can't buy it for the 2014 model??

Well my ski arrives today all prepped and ready.

I have the 90HO 2up after reading articles I'm too scared to do the HP upgrade just yet.
Iv ordered the bumper kit, the step, the glovebox and trying to source the IBR system but keep getting told I can't buy it for the 2014 model??

What are your concerns with the tune? Can you link me to the articles?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you have the 90hp you already have the upgrade. Personally I wouldn't do an aftermarket upgrade until the ski is out of warranty.

Lou

That's what I'm scared about Lou. I'll listen to your advice. Would it be wise to put a pod filter on it or affect warranty?

If you have the 90hp you already have the upgrade. Personally I wouldn't do an aftermarket upgrade until the ski is out of warranty.

Lou

Lou, if you paid for the 90hp version, you could have purchased the 60, and re-flashed it to a 109 hp output for less $. Furthermore this would give you the tuner and if warranty work was needed, it is only the work of a few minutes to place a stock tune back in the ECU. All done by the end user.

I am on the fence about the spark in general, and furthermore about the tuning so I am trying to gather more info to make an informed decision.

If there are articles to the contrary of what I have said above I would like to read them.

We'll now that I got my 60hp, I have to agree with Lou, I should have just gotten the 90hp from the get go, the tune is not that cheap, it's almost $680 which really isn't a savings, and the way things are shaping up, I don't want seadoo denying any warranty work if it ever comes up.

So get the 90, it's actually cheaper than the tune... And seadoo can't deny any warranty claims

Yes, but if you flashed it to 109hp it was not done by a SeaDoo dealer, thereby (as I understand it) voiding the warranty. The dealer can only do the 90hp flash. I am also on the fence, right now I think I'm going to wait a year, to let the dust settle.

Lou

Good debate. As for hull issues I'll be updating as I throw it around tho. Maby the new bumper protection system will help with the twisting in some small way

We'll now that I got my 60hp, I have to agree with Lou, I should have just gotten the 90hp from the get go, the tune is not that cheap, it's almost $680 which really isn't a savings, and the way things are shaping up, I don't want seadoo denying any warranty work if it ever comes up.

So get the 90, it's actually cheaper than the tune... And seadoo can't deny any warranty claims

This is partially true. The cost is mitigated if you have someone apply the tune for you, since the tuning credit is only $450.

Yes, but if you flashed it to 109hp it was not done by a SeaDoo dealer, thereby (as I understand it) voiding the warranty. The dealer can only do the 90hp flash. I am also on the fence, right now I think I'm going to wait a year, to let the dust settle.

Lou
You are 100% right Lou the warranty will be Void if you tune it, however the tunes are reversible and they leave no trace on the ECU with once exception.

The way these tunes make the large power numbers is by spinning the engine higher RPM (and with more fuel and timing) the Bosch ECU's have an RPM operation histogram showing at what engine speeds the boat has been operated at. That is to say there is a bin for 0-1999 RPM 2000-3999 etc. The problem comes when a stock 60HP boat has data in the 8000+ bin. Now all this data can be cleared before going back to the dealer, but it would look fishy to have a clean slate and need some warranty work. So I guess you could tune it to stock and then run it a bit before the warranty work.

At any rate, if you want to be 100% on the up and up the way to do it is buy the 90HP out of the gate. I am undecided on how I want to proceed. On another note...

I stopped by my dealer on the way home tonight and talked with them, they told me it was "a completely different engine" on the 60 vs 90HP models. They also had a very slim selection and weren't getting any more in.

Overall the Spark felt kind of cheap. There was a lot of steering friction, and not a lot of differentiation between the material that makes up the bumpers and the hull, it was all kind of a satin plastic. Perhaps it would look better in the sun.

I am going to withhold my judgement until I put one through its paces at a demo day this summer.

Now, I need to get back to my 96XP resto....

Yep, there's just something about these old school fiberglass ski's, it just feels like you're riding something substantial, I guess time will tell how well the Spark holds up. I kinda wish you could look into the future, 15 years down the road. Well it's time to get back to work on the flux capacitor, now where did I leave my Delorean?

Lou

Lol, good one. I guess my thought at this point, is that compared to previous gens of PWC's, sad as it is to say it, I don't have a lot of confidence that this baby will be around in 15 years. I'm not saying they are disposable, but I've got a gut feeling that at this price point, compromises were made, and if it turns out that they only last 7-10 years, I won't complain all that much. Toys are expensive, no doubt about it, and $6-800/yr of ownership isn't exactly a super value, but it will sure be a lot of fun, and I doubt I could rent one for the same price, as I do plan on using it as much as possible. Now, if it gets to the end of summer and I only have 15-20 hours on it, I will def be disappointed, mostly with myself for not using it to it's full potential.

And as was stated above, I too am a little leery of doing anything that will potentially void my warranty, especially since I bought the extended factory one. I know it was mentioned that you can re-flash it back, but I guess I'd rather keep everything above board and not have to worry about it. I'll def be keeping an eye on what others are doing though.

When I tested tha spark the only issue well difference I felt is the fiberglass vs plastic and the weight if how it cuts through the water/chop/wakes. The two comparisons IMO were HUGELY different.

When I tested tha spark the only issue well difference I felt is the fiberglass vs plastic and the weight if how it cuts through the water/chop/wakes. The two comparisons IMO were HUGELY different.

Expand upon this please, how did it do in the chop?

I have a feeling that during the spark test ride they are going to hold it in an enclosed creek area or something as to cut down on the waves and keep people from running off. I am curious as to how it performs in open water myself.

Well I really put it through it's paces trust me. Read my SPARK CONCERNES thread. But it was ok I enjoyed it I threw it round in the surf and it went well but I did notice it tends to bounce off wakes and chop more than cut through like glass hulls do. I think it's a weight thing. I found the front to be extremely light with a full tank wich is good but bad if you think till punch a wave with and onshore wind. Vertical is the word lol. The only other issue I noticed was minor but once landing your stunts or taking off from stand still it was boggy. Took a wee bit to get up on the go. But maby a more Agro prop might help??

Thanks for the description of what you experienced. Have you ridden on some of the smaller mid-late 90's PWCs, that were comparable in size and weight to these? I am wondering if the hull design between those fiberglass models and this plastic one makes any difference in the way it handles the chop, or is it pretty much the same, small and light = rough ride? That would seem to make sense to me, basic physics, but then what do I know, I am admittedly a complete noob to these. Although with 15+ years of improvements and advancing technology, I'd hope they had made it better than the models last released in the mid to late 90's.

I didnt get to ride it in Tonka like chop, but its def a better ride than the XP as far as harshness. Its very similar to the GSX but handles more like a XP. I was hoping to demo one on Tonka through Boni but it sounds like they sold basically everything including the demos.

I didnt get to ride it in Tonka like chop, but its def a better ride than the XP as far as harshness. Its very similar to the GSX but handles more like a XP. I was hoping to demo one on Tonka through Boni but it sounds like they sold basically everything including the demos.

Wow so they are selling like crazy, I kind of thought that as we'll so I'm glad I got mine before it got crazy out here in Cali and you couldn't get one. I heard all the dealers are going to be allotted a set.

Back