First time PWC buyer, looking for advice/pitfalls to avoid

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Another thing I forgot to ask, what year did 4-tec's come on the market and what year did they stop making 2 strokes (assuming they've stopped making them)?

Also, I realize that this is the Sea Doo discussion forum but do any of you have any experience with other manufacturers such as Yamaha? Are those machines any good or should I stear clear? The ones that I rented last week were Yamaha 4-tec machines and they seemed awesome but that's coming from my now grand total of 1 hour of driving experience. The rental shop had at least 20-25 of the same machine so I'd imagine they must be pretty decent to be able to hold up to the rigors of being rental equipment.

When I was shopping for a new PWC in June, I was pretty set on Yamaha based on reviews of reliability and after sale service. Tried it out on the water and loved it - then I went to the Seadoo Dealer, there was no looking back lol. Instantly fell in love with their machines.

I ended up buying the 2015 GTI130 and absolutely love it. I've got about 17 hours on it so far. Going from a 2 stroke to this 4 Tec was a huge leap.

From personal experience, stick with a 4tec if you don't want to always be in the garage diagnosing random issues. There was always something up with the 2 stroke. The worst is when your at the launch and are sitting there cranking away and messing with your choke lever to get it started, while all the 4tecs are firing up in an instant.

I'm def glad I made the switch!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are 2 strokes really that finicky and unreliable? I don't want to be constantly tinkering or having a dead ski at the lake but I'm not sure if I can fit two 4-tec skis into the budget.

I was thinking at first that 300 hours doesn't seem like much but then I realized that each of my cars needs servicing every 6000km which is about 70-100 hours. That happens about twice per year on vehicles I drive every day all year round. It would seem that 300 hours would probably take several years to get up to considering here in Alberta we can only use them for about two to three months of the year.

Maybe I should ask that last question over on the 2-stroke side of the forums.

Think about how many tanks of gas you can afford to burn a summer

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Are 2 strokes really that finicky and unreliable? I don't want to be constantly tinkering or having a dead ski at the lake but I'm not sure if I can fit two 4-tec skis into the budget.

Having owned high performance 2 stroke skis for nearly 20 years IMO, no not at all. Some people blow it out of proportion. Take care of them and keep up with routine maintenance and they will treat you good. Also, don't buy a model with known history of having problems. For the Yamaha, the 66V was an incredible motor and very reliable. For Seadoo, it's the 787.

I had nearly 250 hours on my 2000 GP1200R before it needed motor work. And I had every single modofication done to that ski short of going big bore. Absolutely beat the hell out of the ski and it never missed a beat other than I ripped the pump shoe out of it because I failed to reinforce the mounting bolts/bracket when the speeds got 20 mph faster than stock lol.

Currently have a 2000 GTX RFI (787) with nearly 300 hours and never done a single thing other than clean the Rave valves (it actually has the original RAVES/belows/seals), replace plugs, rectifier replacement and wear ring. And the RFI motor uses so little oil that its more expensive for me to change the oil once a year in my 4TECs than it is to buy oil for the RFI and it runs on 87 octane.

agreed with mpower, than main issue is not getting ripped off when buying a used ski as you never know what headaches lie ahead. there are some great guys on this forum that can give sound advice when looking to buy a ski especially what to look for during inspection. never fall for the only needs a starter or battery line. if it doesn't run, it probably needs an engine rebuild and should be priced accordingly. compression check and test ride is a must! and ride it for at least 20 min then let it sit for 15 min or so. and see if it will restart.

Having owned high performance 2 stroke skis for nearly 20 years IMO, no not at all. Some people blow it out of proportion. Take care of them and keep up with routine maintenance and they will treat you good. Also, don't buy a model with known history of having problems. For the Yamaha, the 66V was an incredible motor and very reliable. For Seadoo, it's the 787.

I had nearly 250 hours on my 2000 GP1200R before it needed motor work. And I had every single modofication done to that ski short of going big bore. Absolutely beat the hell out of the ski and it never missed a beat other than I ripped the pump shoe out of it because I failed to reinforce the mounting bolts/bracket when the speeds got 20 mph faster than stock lol.

Currently have a 2000 GTX RFI (787) with nearly 300 hours and never done a single thing other than clean the Rave valves (it actually has the original RAVES/belows/seals), replace plugs, rectifier replacement and wear ring. And the RFI motor uses so little oil that its more expensive for me to change the oil once a year in my 4TECs than it is to buy oil for the RFI and it runs on 87 octane.

Agree 100%, I've owned many 2 strokes over the years and I purchase a few non runners every year for flip/parts and you'd think by now i'd have a negative opinion on the reliability of the 2 stroke models, but its really the opposite. If the are ridden regularly, receive the proper maintenance (minimal) i'd consider them pretty dam reliable, even in my area which has a lot of salt water. The ones that suffer generally were ridden infrequently, neglected with old gas/cheap oil, stored outdoors, never flushed. IMO they were doomed for failure because of the owners lack of concern.

The only change i'd make to your statement is the SD 717 instead of the 787 but potato potatoe.. I still think the Yami 700 and SD 717 are dam hard to kill, even if you try they still stubbornly start every time.

agreed with mpower, than main issue is not getting ripped off when buying a used ski as you never know what headaches lie ahead. there are some great guys on this forum that can give sound advice when looking to buy a ski especially what to look for during inspection. never fall for the only needs a starter or battery line. if it doesn't run, it probably needs an engine rebuild and should be priced accordingly. compression check and test ride is a must! and ride it for at least 20 min then let it sit for 15 min or so. and see if it will restart.

Solid advice, although I'm still always amazed at buyers lack of concern for comp test and test rides, for example, I sold both my ski's this week to a buyer with a price tag over 8K.

Quick summary:

Never been on a PWC before
No compression Test
No Test Ride
Idled for 30 seconds.
Never towed a trailer before.
He received about a 4 minute flush/maintenance lecture from me while my wife counted the money, then he drove off happy.

Oddly enough his biggest concern was whether or not the trailer lights worked and if he could have two free life jackets.

I could have volunteered a comp test and quick ride but why waste my time and potentially risk the sale when he's ready to buy ?

Frankly, he's dam lucky he bought them from me, AND that they were my personal ski's and not just a couple of pigs that I put lipstick on and listed for sale.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great advice guys. I will most likely be storing mine outside so would that then be a strike against 2-stroke? Also, with our northern climate, I will only be able to ride from about Mid June to mid September (give or take) and likely only once or twice every week or two. Does that qualify as "not being ridden regularly" and give another strike against 2-stroke?

as long as you winterize it correctly as any boat requires, you should be fine. not being ridden regularly meaning not ridden for a couple years. the short 2 or 3 month riding season is the norm. being stored outside, double tarp it
to winterize, stabilize the fuel full tank of gas, fog the motor really good and put rv anti freeze in cooling system exc.
look at it this way, even a car that sits for a couple years will accumulate gremlins.

Oh ok. Thanks. Now, when conducting a water test, what is the proper etiquette when the seller doesn't live on a lake and the nearest lake is at least 30 min away? Would most sellers want to accompany me to the lake and be part of the water test or could I leave them something of value such as a copy of drivers license, vehicle registration, first born child, etc?

Oh ok. Thanks. Now, when conducting a water test, what is the proper etiquette when the seller doesn't live on a lake and the nearest lake is at least 30 min away? Would most sellers want to accompany me to the lake and be part of the water test or could I leave them something of value such as a copy of drivers license, vehicle registration, first born child, etc?

I would have them meet at the nearest lake.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

yip,,, although as a seller, I can also add a "good luck with that" if a buyer wants a test ride with a ski I have for sale, he's coming to my house, looking it over, negotiating a price based on successful test ride and showing me the cash for that agreed amount, THEN we will head to the ramp together for the ride.

given the number of no-show's and azz-hats on craigslist there is no way in hell i'm packing up everything and heading to the ramp to meet a prospective buyer, way too much inconvenience and i've been stood up before, i'm not wasting my time until I know your serious, not going to lowball me AND have cash in hand.

With that said, as a buyer I've had sellers drive the ski itself 30 minutes to a boat ramp for a test ride and all we did was share a few texts, I thought they were crazy, but obviously hadn't been burned before.

Much depends on how quick the trust relationship develops between the buyer and seller during the initial contact, how desperate they are to sell, the amount of money involved, and how far your driving to meet them. I'm more understanding to the needs of an out of town buyer than a local one.

Unless the ski is already at a lake, I like the idea of looking at it/them and doing my inspections first and being ready to buy pending a water test better than simply having a first meeting at the lake.

I've also had a number of people stand me up when I've been selling things online. It sucks just having arranged my day to be home for a no show. It would suck worse to travel somewhere and be stood up. I would also feel really bad if a seller went to the trouble of meeting me at a lake and I decide not to purchase his machine(s).

Get new one!! Get best one u can afford... Yes cost more up front... Maintenance will cost more of u have dealership do it.. If I can learn how to do stuff to my skis anyone can (have no none zero zip mechanic knowledge)I personally like the t3 hull over the s3 hull. T3 more of the faster turn and all I guess.. Boat can go riding all together with family jet ski is really just u or another even if u have a 3 seater.. If u think the Yamaha u rented is fun. U will have a blast in a sea doo.. If ur ever in Northern California (Sacramento or Elk Grove) area I can take u out and let u try out my skis.. The Yamaha rental ski is 110 hp.. Most place uses Yamaha as rental cuz it's cheap.. If hey have 20-25 units and bought at same time they probably paid around 5500 a unit.. Just go to a dealership.. Sea doo rite now is having some crazy pricing promotion.. Like where I'm at it's 30% off msrp ask for test drive...

Thanks for the advice. I will definitely take that into consideration.

And I haven't been to Northern California since I was a teen but would love to go back (and check out your skis). What I really could use is someone in Maui to offer me a test ride. I'll be there with my family in April [emoji6].

Ask dealership for test drive but u won't really get feel of ski cuz normally they will run new ski and if not broken in yet u can't fully drive open with ski. When I got my first set they let me test ride the GTX limited iS 260 that have like 28 hrs on it and a brand new rxt as 260 and I went with the GTX cuz was better when test drove cuz was already broken in

Thanks for the advice. I will definitely take that into consideration.

And I haven't been to Northern California since I was a teen but would love to go back (and check out your skis). What I really could use is someone in Maui to offer me a test ride. I'll be there with my family in April [emoji6].

Be patient, I had 2 stroke snowmobiles for nearly 40 years and even with oil injection the older ones can be pretty iffy. I looked and looked last fall and finally found a used 4 Tec 2006 with 63 hours owned and being sold by the original owners, late 30 something school teachers who the family now wanted a boat. Purchased in late Sept so only got one ride last year and the second ride was yesterday.... its been a busy and rainy year here in Iowa.
For the like new machine with service records and owners manual and a like new Triton aluminum trailer.... just under 4K.
The folk on here who tell you to just go by a new one may be right depending on the Year end sales event.... but I paid cash for this and don't need to be making payments for the next 5 years.
Yes they need to be winterized, I live in Iowa and I figured it out. This winter it goes in my son's heated garage, winterized just in case, last year it set out in a snow bank.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back