Talk to me about fishing.

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

Dr Honda

Hi Guys,

OK... most of you know me... and know I've been on the water since I was a little kid. I've owned a bunch of boats, and countless PWC. But... with all that time on the water... I've never cared about fishing.

With that said... over the last few months, I've been thinking about doing a little fishing. I don't know why... but I have.

So... here's my real questions:

1) Fish stink. I don't want my boat to stink. How do you guys keep a boat from smelling like fish?

2) I'm not going "All in" on this. So... what are the basics I will need?

I've looked at the basic combo's at Walmart, and Target... but I'm not sure they are worth a dam. Since they are cheap... they don't have to last long but:

3) Do they work for more than a few trips?

Also... since I may do it once or twice, and give up.... I don't want to spend $100 on equipment that may never get used.

The 4th of July is a "Free Fishing Day" here in PA. So... I was thinking about getting a Shakespeare Spincaster kit, with the Power bait in it (I think it was the general "Lake" kit) It's only $20... and I could go out on Friday morning... and not even have to buy a fishing license.

http://www.shakespeare-fishing.com/...e/Pond/1348917,default,pd.html#start=33&sz=16

What do you think?

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't get to go to often, but I LOVE to fish... I do the catch and release thing mostly as I simply enjoy the act of fishing.

The pole you show is nearly a disposable pole, but it will give you the opportunity to see if you want to continue fishing or not. There are many kinds of reels. The one on the pole you list is an OPEN FACE and will do fine with most every kind of fish in our area, as in lake Erie fish. Again, it will let you discover if you enjoy it or hate it. As far as fish on the boat and what not, if you get into it, get a cooler that you will use ONLY for fish. Clean it out with water and bleach after the trip and it will last for years and have a minimal to no odor. By getting the fish from the water to the cooler you limit the fishy issue on the boat. On my Searay I got a large plastic cutting board and cleaned the fish on my swim platform. The scraps went right back into the water and the filets into the cooler. You use the lake water and clean the cutting board with a scrub brush.

I don't think there is enough time as I am on a trip and the 4th is around the corner. But,,, if i get home early I have some nice poles with closed face reels that are good for anything you will do.. Trolling, drifting but not casting. Casting you need open face reels. At any rate, if i get home I will send them for free so you can try it out if you like..

Tony,
Ironic that you started this thread because the channel in my back yard apparently is a popular fishing spot so after 7 years there and not fishing since I was 12 years old I picked up a fishing rod and a tackle box full of lures and stuff that I have no idea about for $10 at a garage sale last year. The rod has an open reel and I don't know If I'm not using it properly or it's a piece of junk but I spend half my time untangling my line... I see other people pulling out 14" bass, this is my prize catch so far.

Attachments

• 424621_185189434948474_1941298714_n.jpg
    424621_185189434948474_1941298714_n.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 29
Jake... that's funny. I remember looking down off the paddle boat and seeing some nice fish there.

Joe... thanks for the offer, but the price of shipping the rods is as much as just buying the one I posted. It was $19.95 at Walmart. And that includes some basic tackle.

I think this new found interest is coming from a crappy winter. This year, it just didn't want to let go. so I was watching fishing shows, just to see nice weather and boats.

Well... the weather is looking great for Friday. I'm thinking about heading out (without the kids) and give it a try.

Tony, you've just barely scratched the surface. Since you don't want you boat to smell, what you need to do is get a bass boat, with a big ass outboard. It should only run you $25,000-35,000 and I know you just got a new truck, but the problem is it may or may not match the new bass boat, so if it doesn't you will need a new truck, you should be able to buy one in the neighborhood of say $50,000. Now you should be set to head out, since you have already purchased your tackle at Walmart $19.95, you'll need a 24 pack case of Budweiser $25.00, plus a fishing license say 35.00. Stop at the gas station to fuel the boat $65.00, and a bag of ice $2.00.

So for the small sum of $ 75,146.95 to $ 85,146.05 you should be all set. Don't even think about how this translates per pound of fish.

Have fun.

Lou

Sounds like a great deal except for the case of Bud for $25. Up here we have cases of 24 pk cans of Bud, Coors, Miller & Labatt for $14.99 + $2.40 deposit and $.90 tax at 6% = $18.29 and you get the $2.40 back when you return the empties.
So just drive to Michigan and save about $9 per case......you'll just to have buy enough to make it a worth while trip. I can help you drink some Labatt so to make your truck weigh less going back. :) :)

O.K., I'll admit it I'm not a beer drinker I haven't bought a case of beer in years. So Tony, you can deduct $10.00 from the grand total.

Lou

Now I remember why I hang out here.

But... I know Coors Light is on sale for $20.99 for a 32 pack right now !!!

Lou... You are right. I've known "Fisherman" who get nuts... and buy the new bass boat, and truck. (because they got tired of the station wagon, and the john boat) Then... in a few years... they realize that they don't like making $1000/mo worth of payments for a hobby. Then, they take a bath, because the wife tells them to sell it all off.

Wait a minute here. What's this talk about fishing boats. I just assumed Tony would be fishing off of his ski. I hear that's pretty popular.

A couple weeks ago I walked down to my dock and that had to be 100 6-8" bass. I think they spawn in the channel and then head out to the main lake after a few weeks.

I'm marking my calendar, the day has come where I can help the doc. Before I had kids I use to fish 3 days a week, now... not so much. A yearly trip to Florida and a yearly guys trip to northern MN are about all I do.

1) Some fish smell worse than others. Not sure what kind of fish you have in PA but northern pike are the worst. They're slimy and the slime gets on everything and lingers forever. If one gets caught in my ski boat it does not come over the gunnel (fishing boat is different deal). I prefer to not even touch it. Hold it above the water over the side, grab the hook with a needle nose pliers and pop the hook out, let it drop right back in to the lake. If you used a landing net, rinse it in the lake before bringing it back in to the boat.

Another warning, the fish are feeding because they are ready to "evacuate" their last meal. A lot of times they will dump right when you get them in the boat. My friend has a picture of a 55" muskie he caught and his one leg is covered in s*** the thing just let loose. Kinda funny but glad it wasn't my boat. Clean up any fish mess, slime or blood right away before the sun bakes it in.

2)Rod/Reel, small pack of tackle to retie, scissors, bait and maybe a net.

3)There are two kinds of fishing reels in the world, ones made in china and ones that are not made in china. The one you posted is made in china but will work fine, the line on it will be crap, you may want to re-spool it with fresh mono filament.

Tony good for you! If you don't do it for you, do it for the kids.

I find that even if I don't catch a thing, if the kids catch something it's all worth it. I have been after walleye off our SeaDoo the past few weeks since we have rented a lake place. I know it's not ideal without a trolling motor, but I have actually had some luck.

I grew up fishing central/Northern MN for walleye since born out of the standard Lund fishing boats. So this is a bit of a trick, but there are so many types of fishing that can be done without all the extras that a fishing boat offers.

I was marking fish on my Lowrance, anchoring, and pitching jigs/leeches. If it gets dark, we have even used lit slip bobbers. If the kids are with, we may go pitch bobbers and "gulp" bait at docks and catch panfish till they are blue in the face. And of course the occasional largemouth, rockbass or Northern will swing in and surprise everyone.

Start cheap, and go from there. Only spend real money on rods, tackle or electronics if you feel it will give you an advantage. Just like golf, there is an expensive gadget for anyone with money in hand. The fish caught on the simplest rigs can be just as fun.

Since I don't have a way of trolling, I have switched up my fishing. I downloaded the very cheap Navionics lake map app to my iphone and I find breaks that I can drift given wind condition. Or, I find nice shaped structure that I can anchor near and cast through. I have even taken up over the past 10 years, the art of fishing Channel Catfish. As I can do this from my SeaDoo anchored.

Big tips on smell have been covered, but I do the common items: Use a stringer to keep the fish out of the boat if I want to keep them cool and out of the way. Use a pail to put the stringer of fish into when moving the boat. Keep the fish in the net till unhooked if releasing and over the side of the boat to minimize slime in the boat. Northerns never come in my boat, it's a law when I'm fishing!!

A real law in our region is not cleaning fish on the water and throwing guts overboard. Check your regulations before doing that. In MN, you get busted huge for it. It's common on most waterways though, so check out the regs first.

It's funny when we were fishing on Lake of the Woods last fall. We had the X-20 which has some crazy graphics on the side. We also had my rod holder from catfishing on the sundeck, as I had assumed we may end up trolling crank baits. Well, long story short on a huge lake like LOW, there is very minimal pleasure boating. It is a fishing mecca. We came across as pros on the search for walleye. I think people thought we had cameras on the towers etc. They followed us from spot to spot thinking we knew what we were doing. We did bring in some walleyes, but nothing to brag about.

Have fun, and get the kids on fish!!

photo 1.jpgphoto 2.jpgphoto 3.JPGphoto 4.jpg

Too many words, not enough pictures, sorry!

[video=youtube_share;2QcDMllZCOk]http://youtu.be/2QcDMllZCOk[/video]

OP I am with you, I grew up going out with my father, we were pretty poor so fishing was almost a necessity to feed the family. We ate a LOT of fish.

I hate fishing, I find it boring and my ADHD ass goes crazy sitting still being quiet for hours waiting for a fish dumb enough to take my bait.

Pass...

This is why I own a SeaDoo boat and various toys to pull behind it.

Good luck I have zero to add to the fishing aspect.

I am leaving for the keys Saturday for a week, FIL and BIL are sharing a house on the water with me. There was talk of fishing for dinner while there, I laughed. Good luck, the dock is over there, knock yourself out. You can fish from the boat if you can do it @ 30 MPH all the time. :D

Lou: I think Ive seen that boat around Da' Burgh. (lol) You wouldn't believe the nasty boats around here. (and the million $$ monsters)

Brian: Thanks for the tips. So... don't let it crap on me... and keep it off the boat.

Biff: Thanks. I still need to read though it again, and absorb... but for some reason... my 8 year old wants to try fishing. As far as the electronics... I understand that a lot of it is "Gimmicky". But, I already have a nice chart plotter/Fish finder in the Islandia. Originally, I just wanted a depth gauge.... but for a few $$$ more... I was able to get a GPS too.

OK.... so I think I'm going to hit WalMart tomorrow, and pick up some basics.

1) Combo pole with general lake tackle.
2) Net to keep the crap off me.
3) Cheep cooler to keep the stink off the boat.

I figure I can get all of that for under $50. For that price... I will take a chance. Like I said... Friday is a "Free" day, I don't even have to buy a license. And... there is plenty of space in the boat to stash the poles in the boat.

If there is any specific bait/lure/hooks I should grab... let me know. The little lake I'm going to hit has the typical pan fish, Small mouth, Large mouth, cat, and Garr. I think there my be walleye too... but I'm unsure. There are a bunch of shallows (that a proper jet boat can venture into) and a deep spot close to the dam. (+60')

Here's my kids who want to give it a go. You can see the fish finder, in the pic of my older kid. And... my 3 yo already likes fishing. She has a Barbie pole, with some big old lure I found, and cut the hooks off. But she likes dipping it into the water. Believe it or not... she's gotten hits a few times. (funny when it happens, since it's a big 6" lure)

84.jpg

85.jpg

You say you have a device that finds fish? So it is not fishing then it is catching!

Sign me up!

Tony,
Ironic that you started this thread because the channel in my back yard apparently is a popular fishing spot so after 7 years there and not fishing since I was 12 years old I picked up a fishing rod and a tackle box full of lures and stuff that I have no idea about for $10 at a garage sale last year. The rod has an open reel and I don't know If I'm not using it properly or it's a piece of junk but I spend half my time untangling my line... I see other people pulling out 14" bass, this is my prize catch so far.

lol jake that looks like bait , Dr Honda get the cheapy rod and see it you have fun even if you don't catch much it can be fun times I just like sitting in my boat drowning a shrimp relaxing then at time I cant relax removing fish , if you like it try a local fishing guide in your area to lean the ropes.

actually tony, i fished alot in pa, tons of trout in pa, bluegills, your children will catch, sunfish, some walleye, some smallmouth bass, as for hooks, get the gold salmon egg hooks, and bait, actually the red salmon eggs, real good, go to a bait shop and buy meal worms, and a real good setup is maggots and marshmallows, lol, but is probably the best for pa waters --actually they are wood maggots -- and you put like 3 on a salmon egg hook, then open up a small miniature marshmallow(make it look like a pacman), put it over line next to hook, and this will make it float up off the bottom, and use a split shot sinker about a foot down from the hook, cast it out, sinker hits the bottom, marshmallow floats it up, ask oldtimer at the baitshop, also, velvetta cheese on a hook works good

1) Some fish smell worse than others. Not sure what kind of fish you have in PA but northern pike are the worst. They're slimy and the slime gets on everything and lingers forever. If one gets caught in my ski boat it does not come over the gunnel (fishing boat is different deal).
Another warning, the fish are feeding because they are ready to "evacuate" their last meal. A lot of times they will dump right when you get them in the boat. My friend has a picture of a 55" muskie he caught and his one leg is covered in s*** the thing just let loose. Kinda funny but glad it wasn't my boat. .

Ladyfish a great bait are fun to catch the they will make a real mess and evacuate all over the boat

Grizz.... glad to see you are around still. Anyway... I remember... in my younger days, using salmon eggs and valvetta. As I recall... I was stream fishing for trout. (when I was a teen, and with a friends fam)

So... how do you guys feel about the "Power Bait" products? Or the sprays that you put on lures? I'm thinking a little more long term, and being able to store stuff on the boat.

use what catches pa fish, kids get bored pretty quick, if they catch fish, they will always want to go fishing with daddy

I was fishing one day onn a NH lake I had a power bait runner power worm on the line I was moving the boat slowly and layed my rod down in the boat and the tip was in the motorwell the power worm was just touching the water next to the running outboard when I had a bass bite and was hooked

I've looked at the basic combo's at Walmart, and Target... but I'm not sure they are worth a dam. Since they are cheap... they don't have to last long but:

Also... since I may do it once or twice, and give up.... I don't want to spend $100 on equipment that may never get used.

Something like the lake kit (http://www.walmart.com/ip/Shakespeare-Complete-Lake-Pond-Kit/20660279) would be something good for you to simply get some fishing in and/or pass down if you decide to upgrade later.

Any hard sided cooler will work, cleaning with soapy water or bleach and closing up a simple dryer sheet inside removes any fish smell.

Personally, I have recently went all in with my Sportster by adding a removable trolling motor, front casting deck, and a depth finder/GPS.
With the empty nest, we downsized from a 200hp outboard 20' bass boat that was heavy to pull and sucked gas like crazy to our 15 Sea-Doo boat. The wife and I are planning to fish as many lakes as we can.

3.jpg

8Ball: The kit you posted is exactly what I bought today. But... it was even better. It was on the clearance rack for $20. I also got some stainless long nose pliers, some powerbait eggs, and some power bait small worms. (for pan fish)

So... I spent a total of $38 getting ready for my big fishing trip tomorrow. I was going to get a cooler... but I figured that I wasn't going to catch anything anyway. (lol)

I'm going to get out there early (8am)... and the wife and kids are going to show up a little later in the day. My kids both want to try fishing... but they won't get out of bed to try.

I'll post up pics of anything I may catch.

Back