MPEM / 5 amp fuse problem?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

kcobra

I have a 1998 Sportster 1800 with twin Rotax engines. When I put my key in, I only get 1 beep. Then when I press one of the start buttons, I get a loud beep. Is this an MPEM / 5 amp fuse problem? How can I know if this is the problem or if I need the replace the MPEM?

Please help!

I have a 1998 Sportster 1800 with twin Rotax engines. When I put my key in, I only get 1 beep. Then when I press one of the start buttons, I get a loud beep. Is this an MPEM / 5 amp fuse problem? How can I know if this is the problem or if I need the replace the MPEM?

Please help!
If it was the 5AMP problem you would get no beeps.

make sure the "lever" is in "N" position. I know in my boat, if not in "N", it'll beep once then once in nuetral, it'll beep 2.

is it blowing the fuse? i had that happen to me on the water today and i swapped it out with a new fuse and it fixed mine... not sure though you could always try?

make sure the "lever" is in "N" position. I know in my boat, if not in "N", it'll beep once then once in nuetral, it'll beep 2.

Yes I moved it from forward to reverse multiple times to make sure I was in neutral but I always get just 1 beep.

Yes I moved it from forward to reverse multiple times to make sure I was in neutral but I always get just 1 beep.
I could be wrong, but I remember reading there is a switch that tells the MPEM which gear the boat is in, and if the switch goes bad or breaks the MPEM will always think you are in gear hence the 1 long beep. Maybe someone with a little more experience in this matter will have a better answer than mine.

:agree:
Test the neutral safety switch. It's attached to the throttle controls.

Chester

Advanced diagnostics....?

Have you tried the advanced diagnostics yet.

With the lanyard removed from the post, push the start/stop button 5 times, 6 if you hear nothing. You should hear one long and one short beep. Then, put the lanyard cap on. If it beeps, count them and re-post......:cheers:

With the lanyard removed from the post, push the start/stop button 5 times, 6 if you hear nothing. You should hear one long and one short beep. Then, put the lanyard cap on. If it beeps, count them and re-post......:cheers:

I'll try that tonight and post my results.

Thanks

I just tried it. When putting the key in, nothing. Then I pressed the start and got 2 shot beeps, a short pause and another short beep.

I tried multiple times and got the same outcome.

I just tried it. When putting the key in, nothing. Then I pressed the start and got 2 shot beeps, a short pause and another short beep.

I tried multiple times and got the same outcome.

1 beep is good, you get the 2 beeps to signify the landyard is read, the n1 beep indicating its in "N", then what happens when you hit the start button?

confused...?

I'm a bit confused on your outcome.

When you push the start/stop button 5 times, it will be followed by one short, one long beep to say your in the advanced diagnostic mode. Now, put the lanyard cap on. Press the start/stop button. If nothing is wrong, the engine will start. If it doesn't start, you'll hear more beeps. Count them and get back again.

If you heard 2 short beeps while in the advanced diagnostic mode, then this means the MPEM is not recognizing the lanyard cap or the magnet is defective. It can also mean wires are switched around...........the is no "followed by one beep" listed.......

So, do the test again and re-post.........:cheers:

alright Kcob...have you "physically" removed the "lever" assy up from boat, to inspect the "nuetral" switch, to see if its stuck. Seems thats the culprit.

Use an ohmeter or hardwire the circuit together. Just because the switch is moving doesnt mean its not sticking internally or is corroded and shorting out.

Use an ohmeter or hardwire the circuit together. Just because the switch is moving doesnt mean its not sticking internally or is corroded and shorting out.

No, pressing it would produce a beep. I also tried starting the engines by pressing and not pressing it and got different outcomes. When it was pressed and I pressed the start button, it would produce a loud beep every second or so.

Please help!

Is it a short chirp or a longer beep? If it's a longer beep, it could even be a dirty or corroded safety lanyard - you might try rinsing it out with some coca cola and let it dry, then try it again.

Is it a short chirp or a longer beep? If it's a longer beep, it could even be a dirty or corroded safety lanyard - you might try rinsing it out with some coca cola and let it dry, then try it again.

Yes it's a longer beep but the lanyard doesn't have any rust or corrosion on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back