1995 GTX 5 amp fuse

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

Clearlake

I had this gtx out today and it stalled and would not crank back over.

This 5 amp fuse is blown. What would be the cause?

Start/stop button tests good, kill switch tests good.

Attachments

• 20231001_130157.jpg
    20231001_130157.jpg
    405.8 KB · Views: 6
  • 20231001_143620.jpg
    20231001_143620.jpg
    460.1 KB · Views: 10
MPEM Diode surgery
Have a look at this, this isn’t the thread I was looking for but there’s good information here. I’m really thinking it’s the diode in the MPEM. If your searching, search like this “ MPEM diode repair site:Seadoo forum.com. to get the best results from your search

100% a MPEM failure. after replacing the fuse it ran for a bit on the trailer and the MPEM released smoke magical smoke. Strange the fuse didn't blow while on the trailer just fried the MPEM. But I figure it was already on it's way out.

Other than that, the GTX was running great and the GTS was a champ and towed it back in. Maybe I can swap it out and get it out one more time before the weather turns.

100% a MPEM failure. after replacing the fuse it ran for a bit on the trailer and the MPEM released smoke magical smoke. Strange the fuse didn't blow while on the trailer just fried the MPEM. But I figure it was already on it's way out.

Other than that, the GTX was running great and the GTS was a champ and towed it back in. Maybe I can swap it out and get it out one more time before the weather turns.
Does it look so bad that it couldn’t be fixed, if your not going to try the diode fix I would like to give it a try, I would pay the shipping and give you whatever is fair.

Does it look so bad that it couldn’t be fixed, if your not going to try the diode fix I would like to give it a try, I would pay the shipping and give you whatever is fair.
I've rebuilt GM gauge clusters before. Never anything that melted like this.

Attachments

• 20231001_191414.jpg
    20231001_191414.jpg
    232.1 KB · Views: 11
You had between 12.34 and 12.6 volts while running, that’s very low. I have no idea barely at all about all the electronics but when searching “blowing 5 amp fuse” I did see a number of posts where the rectifier and the stator where suspected. Those volts are to low while running, I would wait until Someone who really knows what they are taking about replies before you put that MPEM from your other machine in, in case the issue damages it as well.

You had between 12.34 and 12.6 volts while running, that’s very low. I have no idea barely at all about all the electronics but when searching “blowing 5 amp fuse” I did see a number of posts where the rectifier and the stator where suspected. Those volts are to low while running, I would wait until Someone who really knows what they are taking about replies before you put that MPEM from your other machine in, in case the issue damages it as well.
My volts were pretty low while it was running.

I know the mpem failed but something could have caused it like the rectifier or stator.

From the reading I've done seems when the 15amp fuse blows that is a more common stator and or rectifier issue

My volts were pretty low while it was running.

I know the mpem failed but something could have caused it like the rectifier or stator.

From the reading I've done seems when the 15amp fuse blows that is a more common stator and or rectifier issue
You could be right, just wanted to give you a heads up in case it was something that could damage another MPEM. I bought a few non running skis to work on, just to learn for a hobby and almost all of them ended up being fuel issues so I know next to nothing about the electronics. I guess that’s a good thing, lol. Anyways, hopefully someone else chimes in here, it’s a slow time on the forum this time of year so not as many replies as in the spring and summer months.

You could be right, just wanted to give you a heads up in case it was something that could damage another MPEM. I bought a few non running skis to work on, just to learn for a hobby and almost all of them ended up being fuel issues so I know next to nothing about the electronics. I guess that’s a good thing, lol. Anyways, hopefully someone else chimes in here, it’s a slow time on the forum this time of year so not as many replies as in the spring and summer months.
I just need to get it running long enough to winterize it with antifreeze. I store these in a shed and it gets very cold here in MI

I just need to get it running long enough to winterize it with antifreeze. I store these in a shed and it gets very cold here in MI
It used to get cold here in eastern Ontario but anymore we are lucky to even have any frost in the ground, I’m always praying for cold and snow for snowmobiling. If you look in the manual available for free at seadoomanual.net it will show you how to winterized the machine without starting it. If it comes down to that and you don’t get it going before the cold weather, you can still winterized it. I do the same as you usually, just start it up, and put biodegradable antifreeze in the water supply to engine.

It used to get cold here in eastern Ontario but anymore we are lucky to even have any frost in the ground, I’m always praying for cold and snow for snowmobiling. If you look in the manual available for free at seadoomanual.net it will show you how to winterized the machine without starting it. If it comes down to that and you don’t get it going before the cold weather, you can still winterized it. I do the same as you usually, just start it up, and put biodegradable antifreeze in the water supply to engine.
Thats how these have been done for nearly 30 years now. These sat for a while and my dad bought a new gti. So he wanted to sell these. I decided to get them.

I went through the carbs and fuel likes this year and new wear rings and jet fluid changes. Everything was running great until this gtx decided to give me issues. These were mostly run on a really small lake up north.

Attachments

• 20230901_125920.jpg
    20230901_125920.jpg
    388.3 KB · Views: 10
Thats how these have been done for nearly 30 years now. These sat for a while and my dad bought a new gti. So he wanted to sell these. I decided to get them.

I went through the carbs and fuel likes this year and new wear rings and jet fluid changes. Everything was running great until this gtx decided to give me issues. These were mostly run on a really small lake up north.
It’s really to bad, you did everything right. Just bad luck but hopefully it gets figured out and isn’t to costly. Those machines still look great

Back