1997 Seadoo Speedster CDI/MPEM

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

Jamesco

Looking for some help. I have a 97 Seadoo Speedster with twin 717s. It just shut off last time it was used and was not checked to see the issue. It sat for 2 years and I just bought it to try and fix it. The key does nothing when plugged in. No beeps and starter buttons do nothing. I have a new battery in it and had a service center look at it and they said the CDI (#204-470-056) needs to be replaced because the diag tool can't communicate with it. It's not blowing the 5amp fuse like bad mpem's do its just dead. Can this be repaired or any ideas on where to get a replacement? Any help is greatly appreciated.

before you give up on the mpem make sure you are getting 12v and solid ground to the mpem.....all positive and grounds are clean and have continuity. Even the main plugs/pins into the mpem themselves can generate corrosion which may need to be cleaned or try contact cleaner spray.

if you cannot find a replacement mpem for a decent price some have used two jetski mpems systems for each motor if you are up for a challenge. you could try one jetski mpem and cdi as a test to see if you can get each of the motors independently before purchasing a second mpem/cdi system for the second motor.

just ideas...

Man these criminals selling these 25 year old parts for top dollar make me ill. I didn't do a lot of checking on the speedster I purchased but I wasn't getting spark to the port engine. I did a few quick checks and decided it was the MPEM. When I swapped the coil feed wire the right engine wouldn't fire. I found an MPEM and have it installed but I'm a long way from running the engines. Before I toss this MPEM I'm cutting it open to see what I can find. I also talked to a guy that does electronics so there may be some hope. If we could get this one working and prove it I'd make someone a really good deal.

My plan was to buy the double jet ski MPEM for around $500 from OSD Marine. The neutral lock out won't work but that isn't an issue when I'm saving $700. LOL

Too bad you don't live close to me. Impossible crap is how I roll. LOL Good Luck !!

Back