1997 Seadoo GTX bad mpem?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

Solo2882

Hi everybody I’m looking for possibly somebody that had a similar experience to me. I think I might do I have a bad mpem?
So I kept popping the five amp fuse to the mpem.
The pigtail going to the starter relay was corroded quite a bit so every once in a while, I would blow the five amp fuse on the mpem. I recently just replaced. The five amp fuse. Went to start it. Engine crank over very well but no spark. I went to test the ignition coil to see if I’m getting power to it. And then that’s when I lost all power to my gauges. nothing lights up now. So currently I have battery voltage all the way back up to the mpem. But I have no power on the dash gauges. Nothing lights up no beep no crank. All fuses are good. Like I said, I have power to the mpem but can’t turn on Sea-Doo or start seadoo.

Also, having a really hard time finding a new MPEM. Where does a guy find a used one. Or a new one. Or somebody that knows how to repair these. I’m in Alberta Canada. Close to Edmonton?

If your not in a hurry it would be more cost effective to keep your eyes open for a good deal on a whole machine, a lot of times people that don’t work on them will sell a whole machine for cheap that just has a fuel issue or low compression. Should be able to get a machine like this for 700.00 in a trailer, also keep your eyes open on marketplace and kijiji. Lots of machines being parted out

I’m starting to feel like the money invested into this little hobby of mine this summer. Was a complete waste. Like are these machines actually obsolete because of the MPEM!? Wow! And it’s only this year of Seadoo that has such a unique computer module. And I was also told it was the year that the computer module failed the most! And almost every other year you can get an aftermarket computer module. But the 1997 GTX. Good luck! Lol

I don’t teally
I’m starting to feel like the money invested into this little hobby of mine this summer. Was a complete waste. Like are these machines actually obsolete because of the MPEM!? Wow! And it’s only this year of Seadoo that has such a unique computer module. And I was also told it was the year that the computer module failed the most! And almost every other year you can get an aftermarket computer module. But the 1997 GTX. Good luck! Lol

I don’t really know, it’s unique from others? I thought I heard that the MPEM from the 97 GSX was hard to come by as well?

Well, these are 26 years old now so yes everything is becoming obsolete and harder to get. The same is true for a 1997 Chevy pickup.

It’s just the way it is. The aftermarket stuff sucks so the good OEM stuff is going to get more expensive as supply decreases and demand increases.

If it makes you feel any better, the aftermarket MPEM’s that are available for other models are junk too.

Is that in the USA?
I second Westside Powersports. If you send them an MPEN, you can have them test it and if it's bad they'll put the testing fee towards the new one or in their case a good used one. At least that was a few years ago. But just the other day, they pulled another miracle for me again. They are my first contact!

there are plenty of MPEMs on eBay
The biggest problem with purchasing a used one on eBay for $600. Canadian is a lot of them don’t come with the dess key. So if you do find a working one, you’ll have to program a new dess and there’s no guarantee that the $600 part you’re buying from somebody in the United States even works. These MPEM. Are known and prone to failure!

I second Westside Powersports. If you send them an MPEN, you can have them test it and if it's bad they'll put the testing fee towards the new one or in their case a good used one. At least that was a few years ago. But just the other day, they pulled another miracle for me again. They are my first contact!
I did speak to them, and they’re ones who quoted me or use one with dess key for almost 800 American plus shipping! That’s more then I paid for the ski and trailer lol

The biggest problem is that you're not sure you even need an MPEM.
I can almost guarantee it’s the mpem! Even the guy at westside said that loosing spark and rough run is the first symptom. And when you have power to the mpem and the start stop switch is good. And I did tester the switch. It’s good. And it still won’t turn on, it’s the mpem. Unless you can suggest anything else that could cause these symptoms. Please share.
Thank you!

I have a 1997 GSi MPEM that I bought on ebay for $300. I thought mine was bad, turned out to be the DESS post, so it's stored as extra parts.
Not an exact replacement part, you might need to move some pins around in the plug(s), but it is doable. I don't have the key for it anymore.
Schematics are available online. I'm in California.

I have a 1997 GSi MPEM that I bought on ebay for $300. I thought mine was bad, turned out to be the DESS post, so it's stored as extra parts.
Not an exact replacement part, you might need to move some pins around in the plug(s), but it is doable. I don't have the key for it anymore.
Schematics are available online. I'm in California.
What symptoms were you getting with your dess post?

What symptoms were you getting with your dess post?
Nothing happened at all. You can test yours with an ohmmeter.
But yesterday, I suspected the DESS post bad on my 97 gsx, Testing by the book, I thought it was bad, so i took one out of the 2000 gti,
and it tested good, just like in the book, and tried it, made no difference. The problem was the start/stop switch. I had just replaced it two days ago,
without testing it first, turned out that it was normally closed, not open. put a different switch in, a VTS switch even, and problem solved. Chirps twice, starts right up. The DESS post was fine, I just didn't switch to a higher range for the higher resistance test the first time. Duh!

Last edited:
Nothing happened at all. You can test yours with an ohmmeter.
But yesterday, I suspected the DESS post bad on my 97 gsx, Testing by the book, I thought it was bad, so i took one out of the 2000 gti,
and it tested good, just like in the book, and tried it, made no difference. The problem was the start/stop switch. I had just replaced it two days ago,
without testing it first, turned out that it was normally closed, not open. put a different switch in, a VTS switch even, and problem solved. Chirps twice, starts right up. The DESS post was fine, I just didn't switch to a higher range for the higher resistance test the first time. Duh!
Wait a minute the start stops which is a normally open switch?

Back