1997 Seadoo GTX No Spark

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

Solo2882

I need some ideas!
I have a 1997 Seadoo GTX. Previously Rebuilt the Engine. Ran great for a couple of weeks then it kept popping the five amp fuse. Eventually the MPEM blow. Went completely dead. I went to start it one morning and lost spark then the mpem went completely bricked.
So I sourced out a good used oem mpem. Install a new ignition coil, starter relay, spark plugs. Remove the front stator cover. Check my stator and pick up coil. Everything looked good except that there was a bunch of metal shavings on the pick coil. I’m assuming this came from the starter in ring gear. Cleaned everything up. Did a continuity test on the pick up coil. Read good I can’t remember the resistance, but there was resistance there. Did a continuity test on the stater. Was getting about 1 to 1.5 ohms between windings. Did a resistance test to all pins to ground. Everything checked out good. No shorts to ground except the ground pin. Reassembled everything. I read somewhere that the pick up coil supplies voltage to the capacitor on the mpem which intern supplies voltage to the Ignition Coil, which gives me spark. When I plug in the dess key I get two beeps and gauges light up. Everything works. Engine turns over. But still no spark! So we got a new mpem a new ignition coil, a new starter relay new spark plugs, and the pick up coil and stater all checked out good. But still don’t have any spark. The white wire going to the Ignition Coil from the MPEM was getting about 110V cranking I’m assuming the capacitor on the mpem is working correctly. The only thing I have not changed and this machine. Is the voltage rectifier module. I’m assuming it’s no good because I’m getting 15 V cranking. But I was also told that the voltage rectifier has nothing to do with the spark.
Has anybody had this problem before? Any ideas to steer me into the right direction would be lovely. At this point I have a $3000 boat anchor sitting in my driveway.

well,,,if the trigger ohms properly,,,it can easily be the cdi,,,however a faulty cdi does not cause fuses to blow.

I need some ideas!
I have a 1997 Seadoo GTX. Previously Rebuilt the Engine. Ran great for a couple of weeks then it kept popping the five amp fuse. Eventually the MPEM blow. Went completely dead. I went to start it one morning and lost spark then the mpem went completely bricked.
So I sourced out a good used oem mpem. Install a new ignition coil, starter relay, spark plugs. Remove the front stator cover. Check my stator and pick up coil. Everything looked good except that there was a bunch of metal shavings on the pick coil. I’m assuming this came from the starter in ring gear. Cleaned everything up. Did a continuity test on the pick up coil. Read good I can’t remember the resistance, but there was resistance there. Did a continuity test on the stater. Was getting about 1 to 1.5 ohms between windings. Did a resistance test to all pins to ground. Everything checked out good. No shorts to ground except the ground pin. Reassembled everything. I read somewhere that the pick up coil supplies voltage to the capacitor on the mpem which intern supplies voltage to the Ignition Coil, which gives me spark. When I plug in the dess key I get two beeps and gauges light up. Everything works. Engine turns over. But still no spark! So we got a new mpem a new ignition coil, a new starter relay new spark plugs, and the pick up coil and stater all checked out good. But still don’t have any spark. The white wire going to the Ignition Coil from the MPEM was getting about 110V cranking I’m assuming the capacitor on the mpem is working correctly. The only thing I have not changed and this machine. Is the voltage rectifier module. I’m assuming it’s no good because I’m getting 15 V cranking. But I was also told that the voltage rectifier has nothing to do with the spark.
Has anybody had this problem before? Any ideas to steer me into the right direction would be lovely. At this point I have a $3000 boat anchor sitting in my driveway.
If your getting 15 volts while cranking I’m pretty sure the voltage regulator is bad

Those wires in the rear electrical box can ohm correctly but fail carrying the load due to internal corrosion. You have your ground back there that conmects to the battery. Make sure it is in good shape. My 1996 keept having issues and ended up being the damm wire crossed umder the rectifier crushing it. I don''t know if the rectifier is in the MPEM on the 1997 .

Those coil windings generally ohm at aroiumd. .3 to .7 Less on a really humid day. I just make sure there is no cotinuity with ground and the black and read read correctly. That doesn't mean they are working properly.

I'd also look at your start stop button and MPEM just as a check. I foumd dirt in one of my MPEM plugs. It happened to be te groiund. YOu have to find the offending wire for sure. Good Luck.

NOTE: I'm gonna go look at a scrap ski I have in the yard and see what I have for it. Not sure it's a 96 or 97.

Back