1997 Seadoo GTX bad mpem?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
I mean, normally closed switch!
That might be my problem because I’m pretty sure it tested and normally open switch
I ordered some new diodes for my board and I’m gonna try to replace them before buying a new board!

Attachments

• IMG_2010.jpeg
    IMG_2010.jpeg
    476.5 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_2011.jpeg
    IMG_2011.jpeg
    463.3 KB · Views: 10
Nothing happened at all. You can test yours with an ohmmeter.
But yesterday, I suspected the DESS post bad on my 97 gsx, Testing by the book, I thought it was bad, so i took one out of the 2000 gti,
and it tested good, just like in the book, and tried it, made no difference. The problem was the start/stop switch. I had just replaced it two days ago,
without testing it first, turned out that it was normally closed, not open. put a different switch in, a VTS switch even, and problem solved. Chirps twice, starts right up. The DESS post was fine, I just didn't switch to a higher range for the higher resistance test the first time. Duh!
Please tell me how to test my Dess post like what kind of resistance of an I’m looking for? And well this cause the symptoms I’m having. When I hit the start stop button nothing happens. Nothing lights up. No gauges no buzzer. I was told if you leave the key off the post and hit the start stop button it should still light up. If it doesn’t, it’s not the dess pose and it’s the MPEM?
Any information on how to test the post please share.

Nothing happened at all. You can test yours with an ohmmeter.
But yesterday, I suspected the DESS post bad on my 97 gsx, Testing by the book, it was bad, so i took one out of the 2000 gti,
and it tested good, just like in the book, and tried it, made no difference. The problem was the start/stop switch. I had just replaced it two days ago,
without testing it first, turned out that it was normally closed, not open. put a different switch in, a VTS switch even, and problem solved. Chirps twice, starts right up.
Replace you DESS post before condemning the MPEM. I would say test it, like I just did... three of four times even, tested bad but works

I mean, normally closed switch!
That might be my problem because I’m pretty sure it tested and normally open switch
It should be normally open. On my 97 gsx the start/stop switch would not work anymore. and its wired straight to the 26 pin connector that plugs
into the MPEM. so I just cut the wires close to the switch, stripped the ends and when I touched the two together, the engine started. So that switch needs to be normally open. When I replaced it, I didn't check the replacement switch first, I could feel and hear it click, assumed it was good, and it was, just normally closed -pressing it opened the circuit. This effected the DESS operation. I thought the post or the MPEM was bad.

Please tell me how to test my Dess post like what kind of resistance of an I’m looking for? And well this cause the symptoms I’m having. When I hit the start stop button nothing happens. Nothing lights up. No gauges no buzzer. I was told if you leave the key off the post and hit the start stop button it should still light up. If it doesn’t, it’s not the dess pose and it’s the MPEM?
Any information on how to test the post please share.
With the safety lanyard off the switch (DESS post), depressing the start button should activate your gauges for 33 seconds, Assuming your gauges all work and wiring is all good, and no fuses are blown.
To test the DESS switch (post):
With safety lanyard off, unplug the connector, and check between the Black and BLK/Yellow wires with ohmmeter... it should be an open circuit.
between the White/gray wire and the center of the post, it should be close to zero ohms.
Between the black wire and the ring on the post, it should be close to zero.
Now put the safety lanyard on and check the Black and blk/yellow wires again, now it should be close to zero.
If you download the .PDF manual, you will see how to test your MPEM with an ohmmeter.
Hope this helps!

I'm gonna take a look at the junk ski I have in my pile. It's either a 1996 or 1997. I wonder if a 1996 gray box will work. I know the parts are different but the skis are the same everything else.

Back