96 GTI Starting Problem: Replaced Starter, Selenoid and Spark Plugs

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

bdlingafel

I have a 96 SeaDoo GTI and I pulled it out of the garage to take it out this year and it doesn't want to turn over when the spark plugs are in it, but it turned over freely with them out. Ok so check the compression, 160psi and 150psi. Replace the starter, same thing. Try and jump the solenoid, same thing. Replace the solenoid, now you can jump it and it will turn over with plugs in. Check the battery again, jumped battery (I know this isn't good) and nothing. What if you put the positive jumper straight to the positive connection on the starter, turns over just fine. Does this sound like my solenoid could still be bad or what? We are so lost right now it's not even funny.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

It sounds to me that you have either a weak battery, bad pos. battery cable or bad neg. battery ground cable. Also check the 5 amp. fuse in the front e-box, in fact check all the fuses.

BTW, welcome to the SeaDoo forum.

Lou

When you say wont turn over with the plugs in, do you mean by hitting the button or jumping solenoid? Is it just clicking or is the starter trying to turn it over and it just cant do it? Are you getting the beeps when your key is on and are the gauges lighting up?

If you have a good battery then you have a bad cable or connection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It sounds to me that you have either a weak battery, bad pos. battery cable or bad neg. battery ground cable. Also check the 5 amp. fuse in the front e-box, in fact check all the fuses.

BTW, welcome to the SeaDoo forum.

Lou

I already checked the 5 and 15 amp fuses in the e-box and replaced them while I was at it. are there any others other than in the e-box? The battery cables were my next choice, just needed some sleep last night for work today. Any chance the battery cables from a 96 GTX would be same size plug and play for this 96 GTI? I have the inside parts to a GTX that flipped off the trailer and got totaled and this would be ideal.

Thanks Lou, I was googleing my problem and came across this forum and decided to join since a. I haven't found any better answers other than here and b. you guys seem like you know what you are talking about. Thanks for the hospitality.

When you say wont turn over with the plugs in, do you mean by hitting the button or jumping solenoid? Is it just clicking or is the starter trying to turn it over and it just cant do it? Are you getting the beeps when your key is on and are the gauges lighting up?

At first it wouldn't turn over with either button or jumping solenoid. After replacing starter and solenoid, now it will turn over while jumping solenoid. Yes the beeps are happening and the gauges all work.

I'm not sure if the battery cables from a GTX are the same length, but they should be close. Same gauge wire so they should work. If it's a pre-96GTX the cables should be identical.

Here's an old trick that may or may not work, but it's free, unscrew the spark plug caps, cut off about 1/4" of wire and screw the spark plug caps back on.

Lou

Last edited by a moderator:
Finally got around to changing the wires, been a busy week. Nothing changed. Still only clicking when posing the start button and turns over just fine when jumping solenoid or hooking positive end from a jumper box to the starter. Really hoping it's not the computer but that's about all it could be left right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back