No Spark

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

hal5778

Hello I have a Seadoo Spi with the 717cc motor and I have changed the starter solenoid,mpem and the starter button and this is still the issue. The motor will turn over when I depress the starter button but there is still no spark. When I depress the starter button and then release it the motor continues to turn over until I disconnect the 12v power supply. I am at a lost to the solution on this matter. I have been told that perhaps it is a bad ground somewhere? If this is the issue where would I connect a new ground (for testing only}?

Where did you get the parts, are they OEM, did you test the old ones to see what was bad, as much as you can? New aftermarket parts are a crap shoot at best.

Hello Grim the starter solenoid is OEM but the starter button and MPEM are aftermarket. I don’t have the knowledge or the equipment to test the MPEM which is why I purchased the new one. Is it a rather simple process to test?

I can tell you a lot of people have had issue with aftermarket MPEMs, The start button is an easy test but the MPEM needs professional gear to check. Do you have a local garage that can check out the MPEM, not really sure they can check an aftermarket one either? Do you know of someone you can swap out the MPEM with your year and model, that has an OEM or a working MPEM one at least? You could also have your old one checked out unless you already know for sure its bad.

Do you have a multimeter? You can test the start switch buy using the continuity function, it is the one that giving you a tone when you connect the meter leads together. Find that and connect one lead to one of the wires and the other to the other, then press the start button, you should get a tone. The switches are normally open, if you get a tone when you connect the leads without pressing the button, then switch is bad, meaning it is closed. The test in the book (the maintenance manuals are free online) uses a resistance check but I find this easier.

You can also check the solenoid with a multimeter, get the book because the resistance values can be different by year and model. A quick test is to check your old one against your new one to see if there is a difference, more than a coupled ohms off. The books shows you a really easy test for the solenoid.

While your at it, do clean and verify good grounds, they create ghosts all the time.

Back