Confusing Issue

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

hal5778

Hello I have a 2000 Seadoo GS with the 717 motor and confused as to what might be the issue. When I install the dess key and push the start button the motor turns over but when I release the start button the motor continues to turn over without starting until I remove the dess key. I have replaced both the starter solenoid and push button but the issue continues? I also checked the spark to the plugs and there is no spark? Could this possibly be a bad MPEM? Lastly when I pull the bottom fuse on the MPEM and replace it it seems to be engaging the starter or solenoid but does not turn motor over?

Where did you buy the solenoid, was it aftermarket or OEM? I have had issues with the aftermarket doing the same thing to me, they are junk (most of them).

Thanks for your reply it is an aftermarket and as usual tried to save some money but probably wasted instead. I will try an OEM and post the results. Thanks

I had a bad solenoid while at lake about 10 years ago. Ran to Lowes and got a lawn tractor solenoid for $12 and stuck it in. Been working fine ever since. Just sayin...

I have a question that I should know the answer but just having a brain freeze I guess. On my 2000 Seadoo GS in the rear ebox is the starter solenoid my question is the red wire coming from the 15amp fuse should be connected to the solenoid post coming from the battery or going to the starter?
I got it my brain unthawned it is the battery side of solenoid :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Coming from the battery. Nothing goes to the starter other than the heavy cable.

Okay just wanted to post an update have fully charged the battery replaced starter solenoid with OEM and replaced to start button and the issue has remained the same?

I have a 1996 SPX that supposedly has the same problem but I haven't looked at it yet. :) There is some "logic" in the MPEM that engages the starter and shuts the engine down VIA the same button. I'd check the electrial plugs and the grounds. Sometimes they get funky.

This issue is leaving me puzzled I have now replaced the MPEM and the same issue is still present. When I disconnect the negative cable on the battery and go to reconnect it the starter makes a clunking noise but does not turn the motor over. If I connect the battery and then push the start button it will make a series of the same clunking noise but does not turn the motor over but if I release the button it will fully engage and continue turning the motor over until I push the button again and will stop turning over. There also is not spark at the plugs. I have checked the plugins and grounds and they seem to be good. Could this be a direct short in the stator unit?

That sure sounds like a start button or solenoid... you did get the OEM solenoid , I would test it and see what Ohm values you get, post them here and see what people think. Also tests the start switch.

Back