1997 GTX not starting

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

seadoo1997gtx

Got this 1997 GTX running like a champion on the 4th weekend, run out of gas, refilled and since then only problems.
It was partially running while on the ware but without power, got home and
Currently, it will click the solenoid once (with each start push) but will not start. (sometimes when hit the start many time quick it will make a 1 second starting attempt and quit)
I charged the battery (and replaced with a new one as well), I replaced the solenoid (with new one) twice. I pulled the starter out, cleaned and tested(it is working great outside). while doing the above , I cleaned the carb,& replaced the spark plugs.
When jump between the solenoid connections nothing happen (no sound, no starter.
I try jump strait to the starter from an outside battery yet the starter will not do a thing (was working outside when tested).
I cleaned, checked & secure all wires & connections (grounds and positive.)
ANY OTHER IDEAS???

If you remove the spark plugs can you rotate the engine easily by hand using the PTO flywheel counterclockwise? If not then take the jetpump off and see if engine or jetpump is seized.

So...
I removed spark plugs,
Turned the engine by hand like butter (such a great news).
reinstalled and no starter, only solenoid clicking once with each attempt on the start button.
I hate to remove the starter again but I almost convinced that I have bad ground at the starter or wiring issue between the solenoid and the starter.
Any other idea?
Thanks

If you suspect the connections to the starter you could carefully use a set of jumper cables from your battery to the positive starter post and case of the starter directly. Connect the grounds first, then the positive post on the starter and last test by connecting to the positive of the battery. If the motor spins strong then its the cable from the solenoid to the battery or connections including the ground to the starter (since you already tried shorting across the solenoid).

I tried with jumper cable strait to the starter but nothing happen, very confusing, when I tried shorting across the solenoid nothing happen other then week spark at the solenoid, not even the click.

Sounds like you starter needs to be rebuilt or changed. You can take the plugs out, ground the plug wires to the grounding post and see if the starter can turn the engine without compression. When you said you cleaned the starter, did you open it up and clean the brushes and comutator? Starters can be tested at some autoparts stores but I don't know if they test it against any load.

Little late, but, I did try rebuild the starter and YES you are right. the brushes was warned out and magnets stuck on rotor rather then on case body,
Ordered a new one and everything is running like new. thanks.

Back