2006 GTI Broken Timing Chain @ 47 Hrs. Any Suggestions?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey brock1, maybe RFoster still believes! Maybe he is still convinced of the high quality of the Sea Doo product and nothing I write can change his mind. Maybe he still believes in the Tooth Fairy too! After all, hope springs eternal. And by the way, who said anyone rode the GTI for six hours straight each time it was taken out? Perhaps, just perhaps, it was ridden five hours per day, one hour at a time, for the half-dozen times it was taken out. That would equal 30 hours of time. 5 + 5 + 5 + 5 + 5 = 5 = 30, to help you out. If you don't like the facts you just alter them to fit your invalid argument at the time. Also who said anything about "milking" Sea Doo dry? If a timing chain and a few bolts are going to "milk Sea Doo dry" then perhaps my comments will prevent a sale or two and the whole company will collapse. Wouldn't that be great! Also, why does everyone jump to the conclusion that the GTI was subject to negligence, abuse, or lack of maintenance? The GTI has been broken down by the mechanic and there is no evidence of negligence, abuse or lack of maintenance, so quit making things up to support your lame excuses. The mechanic's one and only conclusion is "defective timing chain." He has looked at the engine, you have not. I thought the purpose of this forum was to explore the Sea Doo product, its faults as well as its merits. And while you guys can praise Sea Doo's merits, I will proclaim its faults, as least as revealed to me through my personal experience. If one person reads this forum and decides against purchasing a Sea Doo then perhaps justice has been done. Also, brock1 must be a fairly well-heeled individual to easily "swallow" an $1,800.00 repair. $1,800 does not equal "a couple hundred bucks" in my book. Mathematics does not seem to be a strong point around here. As to making the repairs myself, I am not a mechanic, and I admire anyone who can tear down a GTI engine and put it back together so that it runs correctly. I'm sure $1,800.00 is pocket change for a high roller like brock1, but in this day and age I would be able to put that amount to much better use than repairing a broken PWC that with its age, usage and condition, shouldn't need a major engine overhaul at all.

So what is to be done? Sell it for scrap to RFoster for $500? Sell it to brock1 for $600? As much as I am disenchanted with the Sea Doo product, that course of action would not be economically advantageous. I could part the GTI out over the next year and receive approximately $1,500 if I'm lucky. That doesn't seem advisible either. With deep regret, I have decided that the best course of action is to dump more funds into the GTI's repair and keep the despiseable thing until I'm dead or it's dead, with my belief that the latter will happen before the former. After I have paid the mechanic $1,800 (what brock1 calls "a cheap fix") and the GTI is repaired, I'll be able to "whine" to anyone within earshot about the poor quality of the Sea Doo product and how I had to invest gobs more money in the GTI just in order to be able to use it. I'll be able to tell those who may be interested that if they purchase a Sea Doo they should expect internal parts to be defective, which will cause the engine to break down, which will cost them a ton of money (unless they are independently wealthy like brock1) to repair. That's my story and I will have the proof in front of, or under, me. So all you guys can keep posting your praises of Sea Doo's merits to the high heavens, and maybe you will admit even that a bad unit is produced every now and then and you take a high-risk gamble when you purchase a Sea Doo product. I will continue to proclaim that based on my experience if you gamble on buying a Sea Doo PWC, even a clean, well-maintained, low-hours PWC, be prepared to lose your gamble and spend lots of money on necessary repairs. As before, my advice remains, DO NOT BUY A SEA DOO PWC!

A person should expect to eventually spend money on a 15 year old PWC. A person should not expect to spend money on a relatively late model PWC, with minimal use and minimal hours, which was well maintained and cared for, and which was not abused. The latter happens when you gamble on Sea Doo and lose. Once again, DO NOT BUY A SEA DOO PWC as based on my experience your purchase will likely turn out to be a gamble which you will lose and which will cost you a lot of money.

i just bought a 2011 rxpx and love the ski the best one out of all my friends who have yamaha sho kawasaki supercharged and mine is all around a better ski and if it breaks it has a warranty i went to buy a used ski a seadoo and it was a friend of a friend also well mainained with 41 hrs on it and when i was test riding it it blew up might have been a timing chain also i wanted to save a few bucks and get a used one but after it broke i realized had it broke on me after i bought it what money would i saved thats why i bought a new seadoo

I still believe because I have a 13 year old Sea Doo boat that hasnt cost me a dime other than normal maintenance. The timing chain failure was just one of those freak things. The non supercharged engines dont lose a timing chain often. It wasnt something that could be predicted or anything Sea Doo could do about it. I am not defending the company nor did I ever say the ski was abused or had high hours. Yeah sometimes a bad unit is built. Looks like you got a bad timing chain. But what I am defending is your thought process on how somehow the company is responsible. Im not suprised by their business practice of not doing anything for you. I would actually be shocked if you could find a single documented case of ANY recreational toy manufacturer willing to fix an engine after 5 years. I dont know of a single auto maker that would honor a warranty after it had been expired 3 years. You can bash all you want, but this is a pro seadoo forum. Your wasting your time. Might as well pack up your soapbox.

I really think after you fix this, you will have a good reliable ski and be happy for as long as you own it.

I can fully understand why you are upset and sour.

That said,,, I also truly believe that if you fix the ski, all will be good.

As you first stated. It was like hitting the lottery and you were the unlucky winner...

Dear RFoster. I am glad that you still believe. Once again, I am not asking Sea Doo to fix my GTI engine which has suffered from a defective timing chain, which is a manufacturing defect. I just asked fro some help, ANY HELP. Furnishing me with a few new parts would be a grand gesture, but that's too much for Sea Doo to suffer, or offer. Also, you did not say anything about neglect or abuse, that was another person's comments. It seems that others want to change the facts to fit their own personal view because they will not give up on blaming Sea Doo's defective timing chain on some other factor. I certainly hope that after the GTI is fixed it will be reliable and I will be relatively happy as long as I own it, which will be a long time because I will have so much money wrapped up in it that I will never be able to sell it.

Ya know actually i am not able to swallow an 1800 dollar fix easily come to think of it!!!! BUT......... then again i have taken the time over the course of my life to learn how to fix the things that i buy!!!! Common sense tells you that you dont buy a toy you are not even the slightest bit capable of repairing........ i deal with guys like you all the time like i said before and your all the same...... you buy something that you expect to be able to take out and use for the rest of your life and never have to put any money into it and when you do have to swallow a repair then you complain about the cost of ownership!!!! Let me say that again "THE COST OF OWNERSHIP". Every engine has problems eventually and you seem to have a hard time with that.:grouphug: awwwwww but thats ok i do feel bad for you...... Maybe if you would have gone about this inb a different way you might have gotton better results..... EVER THINK OF THAT!!!! How immature it is of you to be doing what your doing on here you are obviously pretty young it seems and that is to be expected. DONT BUY A SEADOO blah blah blah blah You are on a Professional seadoo forum and noone cares to hear your complaining..... You got one of the 1 in a million timing chains that had a defect and you need to put on your big girl panties and suck it up and move on. If you dont like it so much then sell it or "part it out" and kick your loses and buy whatever it is that you think you will never have to repair!!! By the way let me know when you find that brand ill buy 2 of them with ya!!!!! also i have no idea what you are saying with the 5+5+5+5 crap....... you are the one that said that the PO only used it "a half dozen times" NICELY by the way:Angel: at 47 hours divided by a half dozen times "6 for the late person" thats close to 7 hours each outing whether it was nonstop or they were on the lake for 14 hours and took an hour rest between each hour of riding each time he went out i dont know how they racked up 47 hours in 6 outings. They must have really liked that seadoo huh!!!! Either way you think what you want to and keep it to yourself im tired of reading about your whining....... Ill stand behind seadoo no matter what and im pretty sure 99% of the guys on here will too. By the way i was insinuating you are the other 1% in case you didnt catch that:thumbsup:

How dense can one be? I thought I explained that when I purchased the GTI the second week of May of this year it only had thirty (30) hours of use. The original owner who I purchased it from only used it a half-dozen times. That is SIX (6) times for those of you out there who have difficulty with mathematics. It was taken out six (6) times with five (5) hours of use each time, and that equals (=) THIRTY (30) HOURS! 5 + 5 + 5 + 5 + 5 + 5 = 30! (sorry that you can only count to 20, and that's only if you take your socks and shoes off) The person who I purchased it from used it six times (or so) and each time he took it out he used it for approximately five hours (and not necessarily five hours straight). I realize I may have to explain it to you again, but I hope that somehow you can comprehend. I put the other seventeen (17) hours on it myself in the less than two months that I owned it before the timing chain broke and the engine quit running.

Also, nowhere have I said that I expected to never spend a dime on the PWC. I just expected that since I purchased a relatively late model SEA DOO with low hours which had been well maintained and NOT ABUSED I would not have to perform an expensive major engine overhaul in my first two months of ownership. Once again, you are making up facts to suit your position. If I had owned the GTI for several years, and it had hundreds of hours on it I would expect to spend some money, but even if it had hundreds of hours on it I would probably not expect to have to pay for a MAJOR ENGINE OVERHAUL because it is a SEA DOO and a Sea Doo PWC is supposed to be a quality unit!!!

Also, I did not expect to have to take classes in PWC engine rebuild when I purchased the GTI. It is a SEA DOO!!!! Based on Sea Doo's reputation for quality I did not expect that I had to be a PWC mechanic to own one. Does every Sea Doo PWC purchaser need to buy the diagnostic equipment to figure out what went wrong with the Sea Doo PWC when it breaks down? You all seem to think Sea Doo is the best thing since sliced bread. From Sea Doo's reputation I expected that it would give me a few years of trouble-free service before I had to invest any major money in it. I did not expect major engine failure within two months of purchase and after 17 hours of my use. That's why I bought SEA DOO, because I am not a PWC mechanic and I thought that since I am not a mechanic I should buy the best (supposedly Sea Doo) so that I would not have to take the PWC to someone who was a mechanic to have the engine overhauled during my first two months of ownership. Once again, my expectations were erroneous as I had to take the Sea Doo I purchased to a mechanic for an $1,800 MAJOR ENGINE OVERHAUL within two months of my purchase due to a defective timing chain.

So I will try and be fair and I will change my refrain, and say DON'T BUY A SEA DOO PWC UNLESS YOU BUY IT NEW WITH A WARRANTY SO THAT WHEN (NOT IF, WHEN) IT BREAKS DOWN YOU CAN GET IT FIXED WITHOUT HAVING TO SPEND MAJOR BUCKS OUT OF YOUR POCKET. ONCE THE WARRANTY EXPIRES SELL IT TO SOME POOR SUCKER!

There may be one, two or maybe even three prospective Sea Doo purchasers out there who read this thread who are not hypnotized by Sea Doo's charisma, who do not suffer from miniscule cranial capacity, and who realize that the purchase of a Sea Doo PWC may not be in their best interest. Those are the people who I want to reach with my experience. Those of you who have been brainwashed (and for some it seems that that washing would not take much soap or water) to believe that Sea Doo is the end all be all will not harken to my message. I don't expect you to. It's those one, two, or three potential Sea Doo customers out there that I am trying to reach. Thank you for the continued opportunity that you extend to me in reaching those persons.

Just for everyone's edification, the proper contraction for "you are" is "you're." "Your" denotes possession. "Ill" is when you are sick. The proper contraction for "I will" is "I'll."

Last edited by a moderator:
WOW what is sliced bread???? Why are you still here pack up you soap box and get off the site abd leave us "stupid" people alone

Why am I still here speaking from ME soap box? Maybe I want to help stupid people abd (???) try to keep other people from being stupid. The truth is the truth whether you like it or not. And by the way, sliced bread is bread that comes already sliced into pieces in the bag.

You can cry all day about your ski breaking at "47" hrs and what ever else you want there's no one on this for that cares to hear you saying Seadoo are no good blah blah don't buy one we are all here cause we have and LOVE our Seadoo and you not gonna convince one person on here otherwise and this is the last time I will look or post on your thread because it's a complete waist of time and energy to have a battle of wits with someone who is ignorant as you enjoy you ski "or not" what ever floats your boat

I apologize KELTONKS i didnt realize that when you bought the ski that it only had 30 hours of old person use!!!! I thought that maybe it was the previous owners fault for the abuse this poor ski took in those 47 hours that it was alive....... I see now that it was ACTUALLY YOU that broke it. You should take it easy next time. And please like KOZER said pack up your soap box and get off here noone cares to hear you cry all the time because you are an incompetant seadoo owner who dosent know where to start when you have an issue with a piece of equipment that you bought. You are the typical everyday whiney customer who hurries their little self right back to the dealer everytime something happends to your ski!!! BECAUSE you have not even the slightest bit of knowledge on how to fix it. Noone said you had to be a mechanic to own a seadoo you just have to know which end of a wrench to use!!!!

I have been very quite and polite,,,
But I have to say the popcorn comment is entertaining...

Keltonks,,,
I understand your frustration and your being upset is justified.
I still feel you got a freak thing and that all will be good once repaired.

Is that fair? Maybe not. But what are your choices?
None are good. That said, I would do what is the best of the evil choices. To me, repair it and hit the lake before the season is over.

I have been very quite and polite,,,
But I have to say the popcorn comment is entertaining...

Keltonks,,,
I understand your frustration and your being upset is justified.
I still feel you got a freak thing and that all will be good once repaired.

Is that fair? Maybe not. But what are your choices?
None are good. That said, I would do what is the best of the evil choices. To me, repair it and hit the lake before the season is over.

I agree with ya he is spending more time whining about it and trying unsuccessfully to ruin seadoo's rep. that once he finally does put on his big girl panties and quit wasting his time on here the snow will already be flying and then he'll be whining about how he never got to use it. I know i am being harsh to him but he is being immature about his situation!!! I tried to help him out at first and he replied with a cocky comment and that set me off. I cant stand people that act like they are 15 again and think that everything is indestructible. JUST QUIT COMPLAINING AND SUCK IT UP JEEEZZZ!!!!

The bolts on the timing chain/gear are known to be a risk on the '05's and up...not sure of the '04's. Some have been know to shear. It's been recomended that they be swapped out for better ones.

I'm still running oem internals on my motor after 216+hrs of hard use. That's hard as sht, beat the tar out of it, have a fargn blast...hours.....not a single prob with the motor.

The guy bought a lemon...happens.

Sorry 'bout your tough luck.

For everyone's further edification, your "waist" is where your belt goes. "Waste" is what you do with your money when you purchase a Sea Doo. Whether I am successful in ruining, or tarnishing, Sea Doo's reputation is yet to be determined. Maybe someone who is not a Sea Doo fanatic will read this thread and refrain from purchasing a Sea Doo. I know it is hard for some of you to understand, but just maybe people search this forum for truth, let alone justice and the American way, and I am just espousing the truth as I see it. As I said before, I may be a voice crying in the wilderness, but perhaps my voice will fall upon ears that have not been plugged by Sea Doo propaganda (or grease). (Many of you had better get out your Funk & Wagnals or you will not be able to understand what I am saying) As for some of you out there, I strongly disbeleve that you have a doctorate degree in any profession, as do I. It seems that many Sea Doo enthusiasts cannot even spell, and do not understand the basic rules of grammar. Perhaps it's the brain damage from all that grease you have absorbed from your wrenches when you have made your myriad repairs to your wonderful Sea Doo PWCs. I do not think that everything is indestructible, I just think that a "high-quality" Sea Doo GTI should not have a major engine malfunction that prompts a major engine overhaul after only 47 hours of moderate use. Despite your fervent desire to change the facts, my GTI malfunctioned due to a manufacturing defect, which Sea Doo will not acknowledge or remediate. I did not "beat the tar" out of my GTI, and neither did the prior owner. As before, my modified position is DON'T BUY A SEA DOO PWC UNLESS YOU BUY IT NEW WITH A WARRANTY SO THAT WHEN (NOT IF, WHEN) IT BREAKS DOWN YOU CAN GET IT FIXED WITHOUT HAVING TO SPEND MAJOR BUCKS OUT OF YOUR POCKET.

I do appreciate, however, the kind words, expressions of sympathy and best wishes for the future expressed by some more rationally-minded Forum members. It seems those of you who have good luck with your Sea Doos and who have not been contaminated with engine grease due to the excessive amount of time spent in repairing your PWCs can still think rationally.

And for those wrench-toating men out there who are wearing women's panties, I suggest you grow up and begin wearing men's underwear. However, if you enjoy and get personal pleasure and satisfaction from wearing women's undergarmets that's your business and I won't criticize you. As for myself, I wear men's underwear, properly pulled up around my "waist".

Ok, my first post on this thread.
Let's put this to bed. One man's opinion about a bad experience.

Can the mods delete this thread....I'm tired of seeing it and the bickering back and forth......doesn't look good for newbies to the forum.

AMEN

Wow my thought process was correct the whole time!! You are one of those doctorate guys that takes everything that they own to the dealer every time it makes a noise aren't you. And as for the doctorate comment that you made i dont recall anyone on here ever stating that they had one? "Besides you that is" You are just one of those useless dorks that sits in front of a computer all day staring at numbers arent you???? Then when you do decide to step out of the box a little and get something with a motor and a freakinsh accident happends you get mad because you have no idea where to begin to do anything yourself so when you are handed the repair bill you start crying. Come to think of it what the hell is your doctorate in you idiot? Anybody with a doctorate typically has a good job and would have no problem coiming up with 1800 bucks to fix a five (5) year old machine so i would just like to hear you brag about what your doctorate is in. If you are gonna throw accusations around about the guys on here being of a lower graduate level than you then please enlighten us of your level of intelligence. I cant stand guys like you KELTONKS why dont you do us all a favor and delete your profile so the rest of us can enjoy our day and not have to look at your obviously premature ways of pouting!!!

See this thread...ok I know it's 2 yrs old...but no answer either.

Only has 24 hrs on the ski.

paulr2
Junior Member paulr2 is on a distinguished road

Feedback Score

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Default Timing Chain Failure

Hi I am new to this forum and would really like some advice.

My brother who lives in Brisbane has a 2007 gtx-limited which the timing chain has failed.

The ski has only done 24 hrs and has just had a 20 hour service.

My questions are

1. Would the failure of the chain be covered by the warranty from seadoo.

2. During a twenty hour service is any work carried out in relation to the chain

3. Are there any "know faults" around the timing chain.

My brother has little technical knowledge of engines and really needs some help.

Thanks Paul

Yah I've had enough of this guy too ... :ban: To OP if it does make you feel any better, you could dump your ski to anyone of us. And go get another model ski. You could then go register at that mfgs. forum and complain all you like about seadoo. You'll prolly get a ton of supporters too. But your aren't going to change anyones opinion on BRP its just that simple. You can vent around here and we will listen, and there are some talented mods here too who would be willing to help you (prolly burnt that bridge by now though). Why not put this to bed, unless you want to start posting on help. Pickin scraps and bashin' seadoo isn't going to get you very far around here. Which is sad, because if you do keep your ski ... this is by far the best place to learn about them.

We don't like what this guy has to say so shut him down, and shut him up! He is not saying what we want to hear to censor him! It sounds to me like die-hard Sea Doo owners cannot stand criticism. This is a perfect opportunity for all of the forum members to chime in and say how Sea Doo is so wonderful, so perfect, that once you purchase one you will wonder how you ever existed without one. By looking at the thread it doesn't seem that there are many forum members that have responded in this manner. It seems that most forum members who have responded have either personally attacked me, or the prior owner. Very few have said, "Yeah, the Sea Doo product sometimes fails dramatically, and that is something that you have to take into account when you purchase a Sea Doo PWC." That's an honest approach, just as all of my comments about the Sea Doo product are my honest opinions.

You can deny the truth, or try and hide and censor it, but it remains the truth. Buying any product is a risky gamble. We try and minimize the risk by purchasing quality products. When we lose the gamble and buy an infereior product, it does tend to upset us. Even if we can afford the costs, it's still a major problem. I realize that most of the forum members are die-hard Sea Doo owners and I will not be able to persuade them of Sea Doo's faults, and the inadequacies of Sea Doo's customer service. However there could be people out there who are contemplating purchasing a Sea Doo that may be deterred from doing so after reading about extensive engine problems that occur in well-maintained Sea Doo PWCs with low hours. This all could have been avoided by Sea Doo standing behind its product and offering an owner some consolation, such as a timing chain and some bolts. I informed Sea Doo representatives that since they will not stand behind their product I will do all I can to bash their product. That made no difference so I am simply living up to my promise.

By the way, I abhor dealers. If you read the thread you would have realized I took my ski to an independent mechanic. There are no moderators out there who could give me guidance on tearing down a GTI engine and rebuilding it. That is beyond my mechanical capabilities. If the moderators want to act as censors and remove this thread so that Sea Doo's reputation is not besmirched, then so be it. The truth, however, reamins the truth whether or not it is suppressed.

Let me see if I've got this straight.
A man buys a new SeaDoo. He owns it for 5 years, puts 30 hours on it and never has any problems with it. He sells it.
The new owner has it for 2 months, puts 17 hours on it and all of a sudden it needs a major engine repair.
Hmmmmmm. Sounds to me like the new owner did something that screwed up a perfectly good SeaDoo.

I'm sure that is exactly what SeaDoo was also thinking (and rightfully so) when they denied you "good will".

OH NO, now we will hear from tightshorts, panty "waisted" or what his name is again........:(

But Dennis, you probably hit the nail on the head. Maybe he forgot to add oil, or it got plugged up and no oil to the motor.

We don't like what this guy has to say so shut him down, and shut him up!

You really want to keep this going ... Okay .. I absolutely love my seadoo! And you know what, I bought it for $5500.00 used. Two weeks into my ownership a bearing in my crank let go causing a catostrophic engine failure. It costed me about $2200.00 all in to fix (did the work myself, i know parts are more expensive up here). Get that motor going and a week later the other engine had the same problem ... catostrophic engine failure ... engine needed replacement. Now that we have that aside .. Click on my username and follow the links to show all started threads ... go to the begining when I was a new member and you'll be able to see all the details. Not once did I bash the brand and / or pick arguments with any members. This is a forum completely designed to assist seadoo owners with problems. We all know our boats/skis are going to have problems. You will find this with any brand, even brand new!! You just don't have a service bill for a few years. Anyways I'm through with this thread ... you kill me. FWIW if you decide that you want to keep your ski ... start a new thread and try to be a little more respectful to the brand and members ... I guarantee even after all this BS someone will help you out.

Wow this is a very interesting thread. I love my old seadoo even tho it has been troublesome all summer. I refuse to take it to a shop because I want to fix it! This site rules and has helped me get it going again. Thanks guys! This is a very exciting post!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back