04 RXP Parts to Rebuild While Engine is Out

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

lightbulb14

Hello,
I recently purchased an 04 RXP that has a broken timing chain. While I have the engine out I plan on rebuilding the super charger and the jet pump. Is there anything else I should inspect or replace while I have it apart (water pump, oil pump, seals, etc)? There are contact marks on 8 of the valves which I'll be replacing; is it normal to replace the pistons as well even if they look okay? The dash shows it has 133 hours on it and there is some paperwork showing an engine replacement in 2018.
Thanks,
Lightbulb

My engine (2005 RXT) is out because one of the exhaust valve heads broke off damaging the piston and head.
If yours has pre- 2007 valves I would consider replacing all of them. You should be able to see the part number engraved in the valve stem just above the retainer.

Seadoo made a change to the design in 2007 which solved the problem with broken valve stems.

I am not sure they still make the exhaust valves for our machines. There are aftermarket solid valves which are supposedly as good as OEM. Do your research before settling on a brand if you choose an alternative brand.

If you decide to replace the piston rings, go with OEM. I am seeing OEM rings on E-bay for $30 which does not seem right considering the dealers list them for $70 a piston.
If you replace pistons, I suggest you replace them as a "matched set". There are a lot of variations- compression ratio, brand and weight. If your engine was rebuilt, may not be easy to tell what was used in it.

Last edited:
Back