Question on timing chain alignment

dcm0123

Have a 2005 RXT with a 215 SC. Dropped a valve and ruined the head and piston. Replaced the head with a low hour 2014 using factory valves and the rocker assembly which it came with. Installed a new OEM chain and both guides. When I took pictures of the alignment marks, the movable guide was pushed against the chain to take out the chain slop.

I can not get the 2 marks on the sprocket shown in the attached picture to be perfectly parallel to the top of the head. You can see the white mark I put on the chain and sprocket. I moved the mark on the chain to be one tooth to each side of the mark of the sprocket and the best position is when both marks line up as shown.

I loosened the crank locking rod slightly and rocked the crank back and forth to make sure it was locked in the center of the detent and it was. As you can see the holes in the cam (when locked in place) line up with the slots in the sprocket.

From what I read in the manual, the slots being parallel may not be critical so I am reaching out here to verify this. There is a pin on the sprocket which is sensed by the cam alignment sensor. Since I do not understand the purpose of this sensor, I want to make sure the slight misalignment of the pin and timing marks does not cause a problem.

What is your opinion?

Attachments

• IMG_2815.JPG
    IMG_2815.JPG
    255.1 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_2810.JPG
    IMG_2810.JPG
    326.1 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_2814.JPG
    IMG_2814.JPG
    195 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_2817.JPG
    IMG_2817.JPG
    259.1 KB · Views: 5
Thats perfect. Its never exactly parallel from my experiance, and your defininitly not in any risk of interfearing with valves.

Back