2006 RXT 255 Engine Rebuild for Newbie

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rsoxs19

Hi everyone, I just picked up my first ski over the weekend. I paid $1,200 with a trailer and cover included. I've never owned a jet ski before but I'm excited to say the least. I bought a 2006 Sea-Doo RXT 255 as the title states that does not run. I'm pretty mechanically inclined especially when it comes to cars but I have never worked on a ski. I'm not sure how many hours it has because the lcd screen broke but was told it had 100 hours by the previous owner. The issue was that the engine would not turn over it was locked. I used a 17mm socket on the supercharger with the plugs out and the pistons wouldn't move so I decided to pull the whole engine out and put it on a stand as inside the hull was filthy too and it would be nice to get it all looking good again.

The engine is currently on a stand with basically everything off including the head. The pistons and cylinder walls look good, no rust. Before I took the head off I was able to turn the engine over using the shaft (If that's the right word?) and vice grips. I kind of forced it and heard a piece of metal fall and all the sudden the engine roated freely all the way around. Intake and exhasut valves all opened and closed no problem. Nothing looks burnt. I took the front off where the water pump is and found the metal piece that was broken off the block. No gears appeared to be damaged and all the teeth look fine. I included a picture of the broken block. It's about a quarter sized metal piece.

IMG_0403.jpg
IMG_0408.jpg

I was just going to take the piece out and put the engine back together but I figured I should ask here to get opinions. I believe it will be fine because the chain guide should protect the chain from the now missing part. I really dont want to have to buy a whole new block for such a small piece. The washers on the supercharger were all there so I assume the ceramic ones never broke which is a plus.

I was also wondering everything I should replace now that the engine is out on a stand and so much easier to work on. I want to do everything before I put it back in. I was going to do
-New Starter and relay
-Supercharger Rebuild (Possibly upgrade, suggestions for drop ins?)
-Gasket Kit
-Wear Ring
-New Coils
-New Plugs
-All new fluids
-New motor mounts
-Deep clean the whole block
-All new bolt kit (Unsure where to find?)

I appreciate any and all the help as I am still learning! Thank you!

To start, there was no 255hp models in 06. I suspect you have a 2006 215hp RXT model that is either black/maroon or black/gold. The bad news is these models had a couple serious flaws, supercharger and valves, do your research.

The most likely reason why that piece of metal broke inside the PTO cover is because the supercharger failed and you have ceramic washer pieces throughout your engine. The previous owner probably rebuilt the sc and left the ceramic pieces behind and this is what then happened. Post a pic of the shaft of your supercharger and your oil pump surfaces.

You will need to go through your entire engine internally and make sure everything is completely clean and free of all ceramic particles which will destroy your engine in just a few hours. Split the lower case and inspect your crankshaft for scoring which is what the ceramic pieces will do. Also, take out your camshaft and inspect the aluminum journals which also will get heavily scored.

Post pics of everything and we can help. It will be a great ski once you get the issues properly fixed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back