2006 sea doo gti cutting off

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Caleb_james60

I have a 2006 sea doo gti I just replaced the battery and took it out and it started right up no problem and ran great for 30 minutes then cut off started it back up and it ran for a couple minutes then cut off again after that it would start up and run sometimes for a minute or 2 or only a couple seconds I would have to take the key off most the time to start it back up only a couple times it would start without taking the key off does anyone have any clue on what’s going on after it cut off it would start right back up no problem but only run for either a couple minutes or a few seconds it was random how long it would run if I gave it throttle or just let it idle it didn’t change when it would cut off it was still random
I’m at a standstill I can’t figure out what the problem is

Dude... sad to say, intermittant electrical problems are the hardest to find. It cannot be seen or heard - and when it's not failing, there is no problem, so it cant be found. The problem can only be found when in fail mode - which is intermittant and brief... so rude, annoying! Some ideas that might help isolate -
- First, per post#2, consider checking *all* electrical connections possible, for security and properly seated [do gentle pull and wiggle test on every connection and every wire from bow to stern]. Remove all electical covers and inspect all connections inside. Not fun, time consuming, but there's likely a loose connection somewhere...]
- If the engine stops and you do nothing, leave the dess attached, do you get the warning beeps saying the dess is still attached? [electrical problem was intermittant and already righted itself?]
- Can you start the engine and leave idling, go nowhere, does it still quit? [i.e. does motion make a difference? if so, maybe confirms a loose connection?
- you replaced the battery ONLY? did you alter or touch anything else electrical [other than the dess key]? And it ran fine before you had to replace the battery? IF the key is suspect, easier to cough up and purchase a 2nd key and have it programmed, see if that solves.

OTHERWISE, I think you are on the only path you can take - replacing electrical components one by one until it does not reoccur [easier said than done, considering it's a boat.]
Good luck... try to have fun... ;-)

--- BELOW is a pic of my 2005 GTI coil box - The starter relay had failed, but also -- one of the wires to the coil was loose in its connector - would have eventually been an intermittant electrical problem.

Attachments

• -- 2005 Seadoo GTI -coil box.jpg
    -- 2005 Seadoo GTI -coil box.jpg
    266.6 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Hey, I reread your thread -- now a curve ball.... No matter what, do you always get the beeps / gauges work when you attach the lanyard? And when it cuts off, are the gauges still working? If so, it might not be electrical.
I had a pair of 97 GTIs [my avitar]. Once, took them out, and one ran great for several minutes, then suddenly quit. After a short bit, it stopped again. bummer!! Long story short - not electrical - but fuel - the carb's internal fuel filter was mostly clogged. My take -- the boat would run until residual fuel in the carb ran out, then stop. While stopped, enough residual fuel would make its way past the filter, to let the motor run for a second or two. Replaced the filter, then of course it ran fine. [Then, several weeks later, her sister did the exact same thing.] These boats has the grey fuel lines, that's when I learned about them.
Hopes this helps!

He just replaced the battery. This is a known issue on Sea-Doos. With the battery mounted in the front of the ski it causes electrical interference. Trust me, I just went through this

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back