1997 Seadoo XP Project

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

doberdann1019

I just bought my first jet ski (a 1997 Seadoo XP) and decided to start documenting all the work that I do on it in this forum. I'm sure no one here cares about the crap I do but its a nice way to keep track of everything.

2013-02-16 15.10.40.jpg2013-02-16 15.10.48.jpg

I got the ski in average condition for a 97. The most noticeable issues include:

-grey fuel lines
-missing intake grate
-worn/cracked seat
-missing start button
-faded hull
-old/bad battery

I decided to start with performance issues and fix things which will make sure that I have the ski for year to come. With that said the first thing I did was replace the start/stop button and battery

2013-02-16 20.43.08.jpg2013-02-22 16.12.48.jpg

I also bought a Poppy cover.

2013-02-25 18.06.30.jpg

Next step, replace all the fuel lines. This is were I am now. I started by taking the seat off (which is a lot harder than it should be) and getting access to the fuel baffel. It was pretty dirty under the seat, I wouldn't be surprised if this is the first time its ever been off.

2013-02-20 18.16.41.jpg2013-02-20 18.16.54.jpg

I wanted to drain the gas because I don't know how old the gas is or what grade it is. After messing around for a while I was able to use a hand pump and drain the tank and put all the gas in my car (I had about 7 gallons, that a lot of $$$!).

The first fuel line I replaced was the vent line. The only real trouble I had was getting the factory hose clamps off. I found the best way was to squeeze them in a couple different directions with vice grips and then get small pliers and rip them open.

2013-03-05 20.20.18.jpg2013-03-05 21.03.42.jpg2013-03-05 21.03.51.jpg

I made sure to mark all the lines I was taking out with colored zip ties and then labeling them on the schematic from the parts manual

The ski came with aftermarket K&N air filters on the carbs. I got some advice that I might be better off with the stock air box because it is better at keeping water out and the XPs are prone to getting water in the hull (especially when I'll be tipping it over all the time).

2013-02-19 22.16.20.jpg

I had a hell of a time getting the brackets which mount onto the carbs and hold the K&N filters off. There were 2 hex/allen screws holding the brackets and whoever put them on were stronger than me. I almost stripped one and had to fight to get the other 3. After a lot of time, some blood and some cursing I got the brackets off and had access to the bolts holding the carbs to the intake.

2013-03-07 19.34.36.jpgcarb1.jpg

I then proceed to remove the carbs, being careful not the hurt anything on the way out. It look me a second the figure out how the disconnect the throttle cable but in the end I got everything out. I am planning on rebuilding the carbs and bought the kits with all the springs, gaskets, o-rings and stuff. It will be the first carbs I take apart - so I'm not doing it alone. I want this thing to work when it goes back together.

2013-03-07 20.25.25.jpg2013-03-07 20.33.50.jpg

While everything is out I am going to do a good job cleaning out the hull and engine as best I can, its pretty dirty and the ski is new to me so I'll try to make it look new.

Here are some more pictures of the carbs.

Also, I know that I am missing the choke butterfly valve assembly, if anyone knows where I can get them I'd appreciate it!

2013-03-07 20.34.02.jpg2013-03-07 20.34.18.jpg2013-03-07 20.34.23.jpg2013-03-07 20.34.29.jpg2013-03-07 20.34.41.jpg

So tonight I started to clean out the hull but was quickly stopped when I realized that paper towels won't do the job. I'm gonna pick up a nylon brush tomorrow and see how that goes. As a cleaning solution I am planning on using bleach, anyone think that's a bad idea?

Also pumped all the water/gas/oil/slimy stuff from out of the bottom. It was some nasty smelly stuff.

Here's a before picture, hopefully tomorrow night I have some after.

2013-03-11 20.28.26.jpg

Also I started to work on some more fuel lines but was paused when I used a little too much force on this elbow..

2013-03-11 21.08.21.jpg

I'll pick up a new one and start again tomorrow.

With the vent lines removed and while looking around in the hull I came across what looks to be melted plastic on the steering cable harness and corrosion around the rectifier assembly. ?? Take a look and let me know if you have any thoughts.

2013-03-11 20.29.03.jpg2013-03-11 20.28.47.jpg2013-03-11 20.28.33.jpg

I like everything you are doing to your seadoo. Looks like you are well on your way to doing all the maintenence. Will you be changing your pump oil too?

So tonight I started to clean out the hull but was quickly stopped when I realized that paper towels won't do the job. I'm gonna pick up a nylon brush tomorrow and see how that goes. As a cleaning solution I am planning on using bleach, anyone think that's a bad idea?

Also pumped all the water/gas/oil/slimy stuff from out of the bottom. It was some nasty smelly stuff.

Here's a before picture, hopefully tomorrow night I have some after.

View attachment 17626

Also I started to work on some more fuel lines but was paused when I used a little too much force on this elbow..

View attachment 17629

I'll pick up a new one and start again tomorrow.

With the vent lines removed and while looking around in the hull I came across what looks to be melted plastic on the steering cable harness and corrosion around the rectifier assembly. ?? Take a look and let me know if you have any thoughts.

View attachment 17632View attachment 17631View attachment 17630

I would go to walmart or a auto parts store and look for super clean, it is great stuff. Look in my 97 XP Mini Resto thread. I have before and after pictures of what the inside of the hull looked like when I cleaned it, Super Clean is great stuff, especially with a scrub brush!

I like everything you are doing to your seadoo. Looks like you are well on your way to doing all the maintenence. Will you be changing your pump oil too?

Thanks, this is my first one so I am trying to learn about all the sub systems.

And yes, I will be changing out the jet pump oil. I have no idea when it was done last, same with most of the maintenance. I found this:

http://www.seadooforum.com/showthread.php?19338-How-to-change-your-jet-pump-oil!-(with-pictures)

I'm going to replace all the engine oil and lines also

I would go to walmart or a auto parts store and look for super clean, it is great stuff. Look in my 97 XP Mini Resto thread. I have before and after pictures of what the inside of the hull looked like when I cleaned it, Super Clean is great stuff, especially with a scrub brush!

Thanks for the tip, I'll try it out!

And I've been following your project, it's not so mini compared to mine! I hope to not touch the top end (at least not this year). Your hull looks great, I'm picking up super clean tomorrow.

In this pic, is the screw that is suppose to go into the rear engine mount missing? It looks like it is. I see the two holding the rubber mount to the hull, but not the one holding the rear cradle to the rubber mount. And super clean is the only way to fly, you can check my 96 XP thread and see the before's and after's.

attachment.php

I only found one thing strange. The fuel was not good enough for your 16 year old seadoo but you put it in your car? Did the gas smell weird, like laquer? Besides that everything looks good

I only found one thing strange. The fuel was not good enough for your 16 year old seadoo but you put it in your car? Did the gas smell weird, like laquer? Besides that everything looks good

haha yeah, some of my buddies were ragging on me for the same thing. The way I see it, my truck (which isn't much newer) will burn up that ten gallons in a couple days and that engine is far more robust. I'm basically replacing the whole fuel system on the ski and plan on only running gas with no ethanol in the future. Plus it's $40 in gas I didn't have to spend last week.

And the gas seemed fine. Normal color and smell.

In this pic, is the screw that is suppose to go into the rear engine mount missing? It looks like it is. I see the two holding the rubber mount to the hull, but not the one holding the rear cradle to the rubber mount. And super clean is the only way to fly, you can check my 96 XP thread and see the before's and after's.

I did feel the whole engine wiggle a bit when un-torquing the bolts on the carbs. Haven't looked into it yet, but I think I see what you're talking about. Part #18 in the exploded view iso right?

Hopefully that's not a chronic issue which will get me in the future. I will definitely replace the bolt.

missing engine mount bolt.JPG

I did feel the whole engine wiggle a bit when un-torquing the bolts on the carbs. Haven't looked into it yet, but I think I see what you're talking about. Part #18 in the exploded view iso right?

Hopefully that's not a chronic issue which will get me in the future. I will definitely replace the bolt.

View attachment 17634

That's the one! I assume she's missing. There should be another one on the other side too and one in the front of the engine. After you install that bolt the engine should barely be able to rock. If it still moves make sure the rubber isn't separated fro the mount that is bolted to the hull. Very clear and well lit pictures can allow people viewing to point out possible issues.

LOL @ the old gas in the truck.

I have done it for years and been fine....up until last fall. I put some really old gas in my truck and it ended up wrecking the Cat converters. As I was pouring it I remember thinking...boy this stuff looks really old. Sometimes if the smart ones should be riding the short bus...lol

Tonight I cleaned out most of the front end of the hull. I used super clean as recommended and it worked great. The bottle said to dilute it 3-1 with water for fiberglass. Just spraying it washed away dirt before even having to scrub. This stuff is worth every penny.

2013-03-12 22.21.13.jpg2013-03-12 22.22.09.jpg2013-03-12 22.22.03.jpg

I removed the engine oil tank also, I am definitely going to clean up the tank, change the oil and replace to filter. Still debating whether or not to change out the oil lines.

2013-03-12 22.24.46.jpg

Finally, I got another elbow and assembled the second fuel line. I am not in too big of a hurry to get these done because I still have to rebuild the carburetors, which I think will be a big job.

2013-03-12 22.25.39.jpg

Anyone have any input on that nasty looking rectifier I posted last night? I hear that they do not have a big enough heat sink and tend to overheat. That would cause all the white corrosion looking material to form though.

That's the one! I assume she's missing. There should be another one on the other side too and one in the front of the engine. After you install that bolt the engine should barely be able to rock. If it still moves make sure the rubber isn't separated fro the mount that is bolted to the hull. Very clear and well lit pictures can allow people viewing to point out possible issues.

I looked into the missing rear engine mount bolt, and it seems to be there. Must just be loose. I got distracted and never tightened it but I will tomorrow. Hopefully its not broken, and just needs to be tightened.

2013-03-12 19.57.10.jpg

When cleaning out the oil tank, take off everything in it (oil line grommet, and oil level thingy on top). Rinse it out with water a couple times, and then rinse it out with paint thinner. Shake the paint thinner around in there really well, drain and do it a couple times and it will come out SPARKLY!

The rectifier get cruddy from water sloshing in there. I would leave it till you can test it on the water.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back