98 Challenger Project

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

burtshaver2021

Premium Member
Premium Member
4D491804-2E3A-4210-ADA9-697710BC5FFF.jpeg5A762670-D47E-467F-90C5-5D808BFC1E7B.jpeg
So I’ve been following along with @etemplet 96 Speedster restoration and his thread has spiked my excitement to start my own Seadoo boat project. I purchased this boat last fall so it’s time I start putting some work into it. I haven’t been this excited about a project since my HX project. We have a black Lab Daisy that will be 2 this September, for her first birthday I got steps for our pool so she could go swimming with us. For her second birthday September 5th it sure would be nice to have this Challenger on the water so Daisy and i can spend some together on it. If they are good I might even take the wife and kids out for a drive🤣. So anyways, when I put the key on the Dess post I get 2 beeps, port side engine is seized solid, starboard 717 turns by hand. I’m sure I will end up takin hx both these engines out for one reason or another but I want to start by seeing if I can put a battery in and see if the starboard engine will turn over with the starter. The engine bay exhaust fan works, well at least I hear it come on when I flip the switch. Reverse gate cable is broke. It’s going to be a long drawn out project for me as just like everyone else I have plenty of other obligations with a family, and I want to keep it enjoyable so progress will be ultra slow. I will look and see if I can find a manual tonight. I will be using this thread to document my progress. Thank goodness I did with the HX project because I lost everything from my laptop while doing the HX project so the pictures I posted to my thread where the only pictures I have of that project. Again progress will be slow and very painful for anyone helping me out on here as I’m a novice and don’t always catch on quickly but definitely will be needing help so any is greatly appreciated😀

Need More pictures of the exterior. :)
I have a good source on the reverse cable. Came in sooner than expected too.
Get a couple cans of PB Blaster and hose down everything with it. I hope your is not like down south where the parts corrode together. I was able to free up the adjusters on the jet pumps. Those cables are easy to damage while fighting to get the nuts loosened. Be gentle. :)

I'm interested in the single battery mount. I'd like to do that with the Speedster.

Need More pictures of the exterior. :)
I have a good source on the reverse cable. Came in sooner than expected too.
Get a couple cans of PB Blaster and hose down everything with it. I hope your is not like down south where the parts corrode together. I was able to free up the adjusters on the jet pumps. Those cables are easy to damage while fighting to get the nuts loosened. Be gentle. :)

I'm interested in the single battery mount. I'd like to do that with the Speedster.
We are lucky that way for corrosion. All fresh water boats in this area so much much easier to get things apart. No rush on the reverse cable, It will be quite some time till I’m worrying about that but I’m sure I will be needing one. The PB blaster, do you mean for internal engine parts? Or all the nuts and bolts on the exterior? See, I told you this would be painful

01DF9B5D-0506-4470-9C0F-050F8809EDCC.jpeg
A little bit of progress today, I found the manual here on seadooforum. Went out to the barn to work on it, well I’m not really doing any work on it yet, really just spending time with it, looking at it, getting to know it, Lol and hoping that it will just miraculously work. So if you remember fro my original post the port engine was seized and the starboard engine would turn by hand. Today I hooked the battery up again, originally wasn’t getting the 2 beeps like I was before but eventually noticed there was another ground wire that I had t hooked to the battery, once I hooked that ground up I got the 2 beeps again😊. Just for the hell of it I tried rolling that port engine over with the starter and by god it broke free and rolled over, it spit out a pinkish water like substance, I had poured some XPS oil in the cylinders last year when I purchased it, so it was likely a mixture of oil and water. Sprayed more storage oil and rolled it over. Kept spraying oil and rolling till I thought I got most of it out. Did a compression test and 120 on the pto side and 180 on the mag side, I figured those numbers weren’t accurate due to the oil I had put in there. Put some gas oil mix in the cylinders 3 times, at first a little sputtering and by The 3rd time it ran for about 3 seconds. I noticed it had shot more sludge out the exhaust. Did another compression test and as I suspected the mag side was now 150 pounds and the pto side was 40 pounds 😪. Another observation I made, the oil
tank is nearly empty, don’t like that but being the mag cylinder has 150 pounds compression I don’t think they ran it right out of oil. There wasn’t a terrible amount of oil and water coming out the cylinders so I don’t think it leaked into the crankcase. Anyways, on to the starboard engine, it rolls over by hand but it won’t crank with the starter. Any ideas where to look first? I can hear the solenoid clicking which is a good sign but they can click and still be bad correct? I posted a picture, will I find the solenoid in this box? Maybe try crossing the posts with a screw driver? This boat only has 1 MPEM and I’m extremely thankful it’s ok.

Build both the engines, new cranks and all that fixins. Good news that the electrics are working properly !! Good Luck !!

Well another smooth move on my part, couldn’t get that starboard engine to crank over with the starter so today I took the tuned pipe off so I could access the starter, checked the solenoid connections, tried crossing solenoid posts, ohmed the ground and pier wires, they were all good right at 0. Cleaned them up and decided to give it another try before taking the starter out. Found a fifth positive cable hiding in the plastic battery terminal cover, 😂. Hooke it up and starboard engine cranks over. Imagine that🙄. 140 pto and 150 Mag in that engine. I’m actually contemplating leaving the engines in the engine bay for now and doing a leak down test right there. If both engines hold pressure I could then do the top end on the port engine also without taking them out. Only downfall to leaving them in, is I wouldn’t be able to do as good of a job cleaning everything up and painting. Also wouldn’t be checking some things like driveshaft bumpers etc,

244C650A-4B37-4C3B-AC2D-2E80D17AD6FE.jpegAnyone tell me what this handle is for on the 99 Challenger? I have the shop manual but can’t find an operators manual for it.

Thank you, I guess that does exist. Anyone know where I can get an owners manual for this boat? I have the shop manual

That's about the best Idea someone gave me in a while. LOL A manual... go figure. :D On the Speedster I had the engines running in the driveway and they wouldn't accelerate just bog then I remembered something about neutral. :D I might opt for a manual too.

That looks like the handle from the intake grate weed removal system.

I remember one of the drawbacks on my Son's 96' Speedster was the plastic Ice Bags it would suck up every now and then. Not being a boater that was my first introduction of careless fishermen that used the bays and lakes for their garbage dump. That aside I really like the Yamaha Exciter for the lever pull grate., that way you don't have to swim under the boat and remove debris. Not that it bothered us much but lots of gators where we played. :D

F45DCDCD-1E75-4438-A859-3AE03500436F.jpeg
Poking away a little on this today, once the air box was off I seen the carb. I’m not familiar with this one, I’ve rebuilt 2 sbn 38 dual carbs on the HX and the 95 XP, I was expecting to see the same set up here with dual carbs but no. That small hose, is that going to an accelerator pump? I don’t think Seadoo source has the specs for 98 Challenger carb. I will have a look through the shop manual tonight but I don’t trust the manual for needle and seat size, any suggestions on what’s different here, what’s the same or any suggestions at all to help me rebuild these carbs will be appreciated.

Back