WTB or trade for seadoo boat.. Questions and things to look for?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

rksnow1

Hey Seadoo Pro's. Ive had a few PWC over the last few years and now thinking I want to upgrade (or rather my wife does)to a small Seadoo or Seadoo Style jet boat, sugar sand, yamaha etc .My wife had a bad experience on our skis and only wants a boat now. So now my search and questions start.. First, what is the smallest length boat seadoo makes? Looking for one that will hold about 4 people, more seating is always better but overall size will determine that. Probably limited to 16 foot depending on trailer length.. I am limited on parking so must fit into my garage... Any way to tell size by looks or model number from pictures in ads? I see so many ads but rarely they mention the size of the boat.

Being a little familiar with the 2 stroke PWCs is there anything specific to the boats that I need to look out for, besides the usual corosion, soft fiberglass, and signs of neglect? I know many of these have 2 engines so double the issues? Any boat models or years to stay away from? I like the look of the sportsters and challanger series, but dont need anything too fancy. Also see some non-Rotex options.. Thought?

Do you think it is reasonable to find a good running boat in the $5000 or under price range? I have 3 skis (2000 Genesis, 98 GTS, and 97 GTX) that I am selling and would like to get enough (or close to) paying for the boat. Ive been lookin on the classified and ebay type sites and prices are all over the board for seaming the same models, specs, and hours.

Also, Im assuming there is there a huge fuel consumption increase but how bad? Anyone know the minimum draft requirements on these boats?

Sorry if this is long winded but realy just trying to see what Im in for here and if its possible. Love to be able to find one cheaper so I can still keep the GTX for when Its just me out there...

I am in the Lower Bucks County PA area in case you know of a boat local or within a day trip of a drive.

Thanks

Ray

They make the 14 ft boats that can seat 4, but honestly I wouldn't put 4 normal sized adults in one. For 4 people, I think the 16.5 ft speedster is the smallest choice. It has 4 individual seats in the cabin area. It also has a bow seat, but I wouldn't use it on a regular basis. I think off the top of my head, it's 21 ft long on the trailer. To fit in my 2 car garage, I have to turn it diagonally and take up both sides. You could always put the swing away tongue on the trailer to shorten it like 18 inches to 2 feet.

Just bought a 14.5' boat, and I wouldn't have 4 on it for a full day. 3 would probably be tops. Well, me and 3 women I would be fine, but the wife might have an issue.

You can look the boat up at nadaguides.com and it will tell you the length, if you know the year and model. Number in the model generally indicates lenghth - 1800 is 18', 2000 is 20'.

Checking one out is basically the same as buying a ski, just bigger. Main rules of thumb apply - compression and water test.

The non rotax engines are mercury, are harder to find parts and even more difficult to find someone to work on them. You may have a dealer or local mechanic who will service them, but find out first if you won't be doing your own work.

Deals can be had, not sure about 5k, depends on the model and condition really. You should be able to find something but might take some time. When something pops up, don't wait because right now good buys go quickly.

Fuel comsumption should be close to a ski with the same engine. 2 engines = twice the consumption, so they can burn through some cash for a full day.

Regardless of draft specs, I wouldn't run a boat in less than maybe 3'. Less than that and the boat may clear fine but you'll still be pulling up debris off the bottom into the pump.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can look the boat up at nadaguides.com and it will tell you the length, if you know the year and model. Number in the model generally indicates lenghth - 1800 is 18', 2000 is 20'.
Thanks for the info guys, very helpful. I didnt realize they made swing out tongues, maybe I can go slightly bigger now.. The info on the model numbers is a big help too. thanks again!

Thanks for all the info guys. I ended up buying a fresh water 96 Searay SeaRayder F14 with 120 sportjet. I heard the Merc engines may be a little harder to work on but I couldnt pass up this boat. One owner with all paperwork since new and looks like it just came off the showroom plus a ton of extras. I was able to basically trade my skis that were for sale (avatar pic) for the boat and trailer. All in all I spent $300 for it, not a bad deal I dont think... and I still have my GTX for when I have my need for speed. I took it out for its first run and all was well. I had it loaded up with 4 people just to see how she would do, I was able to hit about 35MPH, but did take a lot to get on plane.

Anyone know a good forum for the Merc Sportjet engines or for the Searayders. Id like to look at tollerances and see if I have any wear on the jet or anything else I may need to know. I will still be on here a lot still having my GTX but dont want to ask questions where they dont belong.

Here is a Picture of the boat. If you have any experience with these feel free to share your thoughts and potential things to look out for.

96 SeaRay SeaRayder F14.jpg

Thanks for all the info guys. I ended up buying a fresh water 96 Searay SeaRayder F14 with 120 sportjet. I heard the Merc engines may be a little harder to work on but I couldnt pass up this boat. One owner with all paperwork since new and looks like it just came off the showroom plus a ton of extras. I was able to basically trade my skis that were for sale (avatar pic) for the boat and trailer. All in all I spent $300 for it, not a bad deal I dont think... and I still have my GTX for when I have my need for speed. I took it out for its first run and all was well. I had it loaded up with 4 people just to see how she would do, I was able to hit about 35MPH, but did take a lot to get on plane.

Anyone know a good forum for the Merc Sportjet engines or for the Searayders. Id like to look at tollerances and see if I have any wear on the jet or anything else I may need to know. I will still be on here a lot still having my GTX but dont want to ask questions where they dont belong.

Here is a Picture of the boat. If you have any experience with these feel free to share your thoughts and potential things to look out for.

View attachment 13526

May want to visit DrHonda's Islandia thread in the Merc section.

Not sure if Seadoo Merc are different than whats in the Searay but at least he is in PA too and would be your best bet on reliable source/mechanic.

Back