Water inside pipe, is it a problem?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

gerallison

Hi, I have a 2002 XP which I recently had the engine rebuilt, installing the pipe I had a problem with the clamp which I could not tight correctly and I had a exhaust leak, also I notice a little water is coming out of inside the pipe, I had all new gaskets, I wounder if this is an important issue? I really don't want to remove the pipe and damage the new gasket that seals the manifold. Any suggestions

I'm not sure I understand the question, if you have water leaking or spraying out of the pipe inside the ski, yes this is a problem. If you have water coming out of the exhaust this is normal, there will always be a small amount of water in the pipe, starting on the trailer after use and revving to a high idle will minimize water inside the pipe, you should also fog the engine after each use. Don't run the ski out of water for more than 30 seconds.

Lou

I'm not sure I understand the question, if you have water leaking or spraying out of the pipe inside the ski, yes this is a problem. If you have water coming out of the exhaust this is normal, there will always be a small amount of water in the pipe, starting on the trailer after use and revving to a high idle will minimize water inside the pipe, you should also fog the engine after each use. Don't run the ski out of water for more than 30 seconds.

Lou

Lou,

The leak is cumming from where the 2 pipes attach with the clamp where the cooper seal is, I have to say that if I did not had this exhaust leak I would not notice the water since I would guess the exhaust would push that water out thru the exhaust system, but now notice this, I wounder if this is a problem or is it normal.

Obviously the clamp was not sealing the 2 pipes correctly so I had both exhaust and water (not much) coming out, I would say if I tighten the 2 pipes to seal no water would come out to the hull but I would I assume water will continue to leak in the inside of the pipe, is this normal?

Yes, water in the exhaust is completely normal, and also necessary to cool the exhaust.

Lou

Getting the pipes lined up and that clamp on is an art.

on the XP you don't actually have to separate them to remove /install it. makes it go a LOT faster/easier.

Clean two clamping surfaces very well. As well as copper gasket. Put high temp copper gasket sealer on both sides. Pipe and manifold. Tighten well. Let sit for atleast 4 hours before starting. 24 hours is best. Take it from someone who almost sank their xp because of this problem. uploadfromtaptalk1408398842660.jpg

What I don't know is water inside the pipe would affect other parts like the water box. By water inside the pipe I mean where fumes go out not the cooling part of the pipe which is connected to the water cooling system.

Here's a picture of the cooling system, this tells the story better than I can explain. This is a 787 yours is similar.

Lou

Attachments

• CCF05212012_00000.jpg
    CCF05212012_00000.jpg
    725.1 KB · Views: 16
SEADOO.jpg

I have it, just the water leak is inside not outside. Anyways, I think I am going to have to remove the pipe and re-seal it like you suggested.

Ok, I have a video of how it is now, sorry to be this annoying but I just want to make sure this is right before I take apart. I really don't rember if there was water in the system before, so I am asking.

http://youtu.be/EmEzNzx_Kbw

If this is correct, then I AM HAPPY, and will go play with it today!!! :)

yes the exhaust is water cooled. water is sprayed into the pipe from a RAVE looking part on the water box, and water is also injected into the water box (muffler).

the only concern I have in your video is the water under the black pipe up front. there should not be water IN the ski... it should all exit the side or exhaust...

That is OK, that water is from me washing the ski with fresh water!! Awesome, thank God I did not took it apart yesterday!! I was just wondering if it was OK. Thank You. Now is time to play with it!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back