Need help ID’ing studs and gasket

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
I have a 97 GTI that I recently replaced wear ring and rebuilt the carb on, it’s been running like a bat out of hell for the past few weekends. Earlier today I took it out for about 5 minutes and noticed a slight decrease in power, so I headed back towards the launch. Then I heard something and it started running like it was idling at full throttle. I took it to the launch and it was smoking inside of the hull, took on a bunch of water and the j pipe gasket was hanging on by a thread outside of the pipe.Is my engine done or will I be able to fix it with a new gasket and installing new studs?

Attachments

• IMG_4669.jpeg
    IMG_4669.jpeg
    261.8 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_4668.jpeg
    IMG_4668.jpeg
    273.2 KB · Views: 5
Nah you're good. Pull the spark plugs and make sure there isn't any water in the engine. Remove the pipe and check the gasket surface and bolt holes. Make sure the bolt holes are not all wallered out :) I've seen engines where people have drilled and tapped the bolt holes for 10mm but I can't say I like that idea. Hopefully your bolt holes are Okie Dokie.

There is a rubber exhaust mount bushing you may need to replace. When they are badly worn they promote the type of failure you experienced. Good Luck !!

Heli coils if threads are damaged
Ideed. Heli coil is way better. Once you drill for 10mm the dang gaskets holes need to be modified and that is a problem. At least used exhaust manifolds are relatively cheap. LOL

I'm putting together (2) 717s for a 1996 Speedster. I like pretty. :D

8-23 Manifold Painting (2).JPG

Back