Need Help/Advice

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

ZoSoAir

Hi everyone....

Short story, 2001 GTX RFI keeps hydro-locking with oil (milkshake). I pull the plugs and blow out the cylinders (makes a h*ll of a mess) just to be able to get it started after sitting a week or two.

I got tired of doing this so I took it to my local Seadoo shop. They did the same thing, removed the plugs and blew it out. The issue is that when they cleared the cylinders they emptied out my entire oil tank trying to clear it out...... That was a brand new $78 gallon of the good stuff!!!!!

I dont know what to do now. The ski runs great when you can get it to start. Compression is good. The shop told me I may have a leaking crank case seal. Ive also read on here about installing an oil shut off valve for use during storage so the motor doesn't fill with milkshake.

Need advise please. So close to marketplaceing this thing... Thanks

Install this 3/8 butterfly valve (available at Amazon) so you can reach it easily. Before you ride, open the valve. After you are finished for the day close the valve. My wife's engine has that same issue. I can leave my wife's ski a year of not running and as long as the valve closed and it starts right up....no problem. You'll have to determine if this will work in your case and how long between start ups is best. Start ups burn the oil out it doesn't have a change to build up. You can get creative with the testing and determine how long the ski can sit without running and not have problems. I put a mark on the oil tank for my wife's ski as her ski is premix. The only oil that gets used is what goes into the rotary valve. I found with her ski I takes about 10 days for the oil build up to become a problem. We've been dealing with this since I built the engine. It was my first one and I foolishly did not put sealant on the inner lip seals when I assembled the cases. Hence the leak is consistent and not getting worse. I'm not tearing apart a good running engine when a valve will fix it. Good Luck with yours !!

On a side note - a shop should have known to clamp the oil feed line to the rotary valve.

Plastic Valve Rotary Valve oil line.jpg

Last edited:
Install this 3/8 butterfly valve (available at Amazon) so you can reach it easily. Before you ride, open the valve. After you are finished for the day close the valve. My wife's engine has that same issue. I can leave my wife's ski a year of not running and as long as the valve closed and it starts right up....no problem. You'll have to determine if this will work in your case and how long between start ups is best. Start ups burn the oil out it doesn't have a change to build up. You can get creative with the testing and determine how long the ski can sit without running and not have problems. I put a mark on the oil tank for my wife's ski as her ski is premix. The only oil that gets used is what goes into the rotary valve. I found with her ski I takes about 10 days for the oil build up to become a problem. We've been dealing with this since I built the engine. It was my first one and I foolishly did not put sealant on the inner lip seals when I assembled the cases. Hence the leak is consistent and not getting worse. I'm not tearing apart a good running engine when a valve will fix it. Good Luck with yours !!

On a side note - a shop should have known to clamp the oil feed line to the rotary valve.

View attachment 63734
Thanks for the info. Are you sure the hose is 3/8? I would have guessed the larger hose coming off the tank is bigger than that. It's the hose thot goes u the side and connects to the side of the motor right? Not the oil pump on the front by the tank (the one with the filter).

Thanks

Pretty sure that hose is 12mm, 1/2” is 12.7 mm and 5/8 is 15.8 mm. I think your going to be way to big with the 5/8”

Depends on how they measure the valve. The valve I use is 3/8" "INSIDE" diameter. The Outside Diameter is 1/2" which fits the 12mm hose (inside diameter) perfectly. I got tricked once and bought the 1/2" Good Luck !!

Last edited:
At this point I'm so confused, I's not sure if we are talking about the line with the oil filter or the other line that is larger and goes to the side of the motor. So, They both get a valve.... What can it hurt right? Just don't forget to turn them on before riding.

We are talking about the larger line that goes from the bottom of the oil tank to the rotary valve cavity, the 12mm line, not the 8mm line with the oil filter in it. Don’t put a shut off valve on the line with the filter.

Back