No Water Flow - 2001 GTX 951 Carb

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

Beernutz

Good morning, new to seadooforum.com, and the SeaDoo brand, but not new to PWCs, as I have owned and currently own several Polaris watercraft.

I picked up a 2001 GTX 951 carb last week, and after replacing the battery and draining/replacing the fuel, it starts right up and runs great. The problem I am having is that there is no water flow through the engine when the vessel is in the water. I pulled the hose off the elbow at the cylinder head, and it appears to be plugged with sand there. Can anyone tell me if there is a screen in this fitting to catch debris, or if trying to force the blockage loose with compressed air will cause any problems?

I removed swapped the normal intake hose for the flush hose in the hopes that forcing water through the system backwards would release the crud, but I had no such luck. With water going through the backflush routing, there is a steady stream from the pissers when revved, but of course not with the normal flow, due to the aforementioned problem.

Any help is appreciated... Thanks!

My motor was overheating......Here is what I did to verify flow of water. I got the diagram of the flow of water to each component all the way to the pissers. I systematically pulled each hose off its connection with the motor and water hose running. ( it takes time because you cant run it long on the hose.) This will verify that each area is getting water and you can make sure it has a good flow. Once I did that I took it out to the water and ran it. I will tell you my 98 didn't have a lot of flow out the pissers under idle but as I gained RPM it got better. I also brought an infrared thermometer with me and checked the temp at the head and pipe. Mine ski beeps (overheat signal) when it gets just over 200 degrees. If you don't have a temp gadget you can put your hand on each part, it shouldn't be too hot to the touch for a little bit (use caution so you don't burn yourself). The ski will beep at you if it overheats and that is how you really know if you still got flow issues.

Thanks for the tips! I should have mentioned that this all began because the ski did in-fact overheat. About a minute or two after starting and riding it for the first time, is when the buzzer went off. At that point, we towed it back to shore to look at it. I can confirm that in its normal configuration, water does flow to the head, but know nothing about past that point. All testing was done with the ski in the lake, and with the reverse bucket down. While revving it, absolutely nothing comes out of the pissers.

I finally figured out what caused my ski to overheat, flow was great in all my hoses, it had a leak in the gasket to the head. Yours sounds like a flow issue. Good luck and let us know what you find.

As an update, I pulled the water intake elbow out of the cylinder head and ran a wire coat hanger through both the elbow and the threaded fitting in the head. When pushing the hanger through the head, there was a good pop as debris was broken free and fell apart. After clearing everything out, I was able to get it back on the water a couple days later and the problem appears to be solved.

The lake was glass and there was nobody out there besides myself and a buddy, so it couldn't have been much better for riding conditions. The speedo doesn't work, but per GPS on my phone, my top speed was 52mph. The engine maxed out at about 6820rpm, as well. Overall, I'm happy with my $200 purchase.

It definitely was. I actually got a pair of them and a Triton LT 2 place trailer for $700 total (200 each, 300 for the trailer) and sold one to my friend that was with me for the test ride.

Back