Recommendations for cleaning out the sump area.

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rabid

Anyone have any recommendations for what to use to clean out the goo that coats the sump area? It looks like its been there for years and looks like a hard coating from when the oil line might have leaked. Im going to pull the ski out of the water and clean it up.

If you have a good 4000psi pressure washer thats my tool of choice. I have heard others say jam some rags into the airbox holes, dump a gallon of degreaser in there like simple green and a few gallons of boiling water and driving it around for 30mins making sure to brake and turn erratically.

Wipe up all the "Goo" with towels... then spray the entire engine compartment with Castrol Super clean, and rinse out with warm water. Don't try to save money with buying "Purple Power" or other degreasers. Castrol will cut thought the old crap.

I don't recommend using a pressure washer. You can slip hoses, get water past seals, and you may damage the hull.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've used simple green.... just pour it in, then add some hot water, let sit for a while, then remove drain plugs... I also pull out the sucker things and clean those up really well... they clog up quick, but work great when you clean them out.

Not that we have to agree DR. but I use my 4000psi pressure washer all summer long. You def have to be careful...esp with my 4000psi, but if it wasnt freezing out I'd be using mine right now.

spray some purple power in there, like $7 for a gallon at wally world,
let it sit about 5 minutes while you hook up the pressure washer, (or drive to the car wash)
blast it with pressure (even 1500psi is just fine)
whamo !, instant clean !
i've done some wondrous hull turnarounds in 10 minutes.

I agree with the others on the purple stuff. I use Castrol super cleans and it is the shiznit. They make generic versions. Used full strength, it will strip anything.

Castrol Super Clean is the bomb. We use it for everything, cleans concrete floor, driveways, car engines, and of course SeaDoo's.

My wife discovered it we use it for house hold cleaner (dilute it 50%), cleans carpet spots, counter tops, floor tile, sinks, just about everything, and it's a lot cheaper than 409 or fantastik. Sounds like hints from Heloise doesn't it?

Lou

Castrol it is:thumbsup: I have the same problem due to oil lines leaking in the hull.

The pickup screens for the vacuum bilge were clogged as a sumbitch on mine. They should definitely be cleaned if anyone's ski has leaked oil before (like mine).

Minnetonka, am I understanding you right?...completely plug the intake holes on the airbox and ride it around? :eek: That seems a bit odd.

LOL, i'm thinking to myself, "self...this man knows waaaaay better than to try something like that"

Side note, great idea! :driving:

yip, drive it around, slap on the brakes, zig zag a little, basically drive like a drunk teenager for 5 minutes, it will slosh around like a washing machine .... your just facilitating by being the "agitator" , then find a slope somewhere, back down, unplug the drain plugs and let 95% of it run out, then wet vac the rest up.

Yup...one of my favorite Bill O suggestions.

That castrol purple is good stuff...but its twice as much as a gal of simple green from sams club.

I'm concerned about the cleaner splashing on to the paint on the engines and gelcoat of the boat...

Is that something to worry about with Super Clean? What about Simple Green or Purple Power? Are they all safe on paint?

No not ride it....drive it around on the trailer!

duly noted: I did that about 4 months ago with a ski that just came in, and my neighbor, who saw me driving around the neighborhood like a drunk old lady actually walked over and asked if I was "ok" I just laughed...

I'm concerned about the cleaner splashing on to the paint on the engines and gelcoat of the boat...

Is that something to worry about with Super Clean? What about Simple Green or Purple Power? Are they all safe on paint?

no worry's, not that i've let it sit on overnight, but i've let it sit for more than a few minutes with no ill effects, i've sprayed down entire ski's with the stuff (all 3) top to bottom, IMO the least effective was simple green, then purple juice, then the castrol, which i use now after it was suggested on this forum. so now basically i use purple power for the thick chit, about 3 rinse/drain , then switch to castrol to get the last 3% of the stubborn stuff !

a pressure washer (even 1500 electric) works fine, and a wet vac is very very helpful, cuts the cleaning time in half cuz you can get the goo out easier than messing with the drain plugs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back