My jet pump has no oil and I have a question

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Last year I changed my jet pump oil and used an anti-rattle cone. I have a 1996 GTI. When I did the cone I didn't get it perfectly sealed. Next time I'll do a pressure test for sure. This year when I went to change the oil to get ready for the season there was only water in the pump. The bearings still seem to turn fine. I pulled the pump off the ski and ran oil through it a number of times to clean out the water. My question is should I go ahead and rebuild the jet pump or should I simply use as is? I would assume water sitting in the pump all winter must be terrible for my bearings. I don't have the tools needed to replace the bearings. But im not opposed to buying the bearing pushers and a press. But it seems like the bearing pusher tool part 295 000 107 seems expensive for one small pusher. Are there any other alternatives to getting the bearing put in the right spot without that tool or am i missing a less expensive option?

I can’t answer your questions but I have a Tigershark that I bought about 6 years ago. When I got it home I drained the pump on it, the previous owner had left the bellow off the pump in the hull and it must have sucked water in through there. I drained the water, refilled with oil and installed a new bellow. Drained the oil again the next fall just to make sure no water had entered again and it hadn’t. I have no idea how long that pump
Was full of water, I’m going to assume for some time as it looked like the previous owner did absolutely no maintenance and I’ve never had an issue with that machine

I had a pump with a broken ear and was playing around with it while waiting for a replacement. I reinstalled them with 3/8 all thread, washers and a socket. Seat the bearing flush with the housing using a washer bigger than the bore. Get a socket and set them to depth. For example with a 16 pitch thread, it takes 1.6 turns on the nut to get the bearing .100” below the surface. I came pretty close at .104”.

If the shaft, thrust washer, and thrust bearing all look good, I'd go with refilling with oil. I think Nick at Westside told me that pumps are either good to go or completely trashed. If I were you, I would call him and ask because he has seen a ton of pumps.

You should replace the pump shaft seal on the impeller end. That is the main place water will get in if the pump is assemble correctly. I have never pressure tested a jet pump and I've done 20+. As for the bearings, inspect the shaft that it is perfectly smooth (wear on the seal fit is ok as long as the surface isn't jagged). Clean the housing with lectra clean and air. Put a few drops of oil (not much) on each bearing. Install the shaft and feel for roughness. Lilke @burtshaver2021 said, you can get away with a lot on those pump bearings. Just because water was in there doesn't mean the pump needs a rebuild.

I don't use a press and I don't worry about the (.100") measurement Doesn't have to be that accurate. Err to the too much side. Being a machinist I made a tool and I just tap the bearings in place. Making a puller with a bolt is cool as well. I with @burtshaver2021 on running it as it but I'd replace the seal and make sure you used the right stuff on the previous assemble. 518 loctite or equivalent. Good Luck !!

Back